After approval of the final detail design the plant's general capacity was determined equal 110 MW.
The first hydroelectric generator was brought into service in 1940 together with the first power line Uglich-Moscow. The second generator made it first turn in March 1941 but involvement of the USSR in the World War 2 prevented finalization of construction works and launching the plant on its maximum capacity. The final putting into operation was made only in 1955.
Originally the plant was equipped with to turbines of 9 meters in diameter.
All the plant's equipment after more than 60 years of operation became obsolete and should be replaced or reconstructed. For this reason one of the generators had been working only in 30% of its capacity. Now out-of-date and environmentally dangerous units are replaced. In addition in 2007 replacement of one of the generators was initiated. A combined system of a foreign turbine and a Russian generator is being installed now. These works are planned to be finished before August 2010.
Dismantled equipment is exposed in a newly created museum of hydropower engineering of a national value.
Here is symbiosis of the original "steam-punk styled" measuring and control equipment with modern technologies.