It is the oldest scientific establishment of Russia engaged in radio astronomy research.
It was founded in April, 11th, 1956 when Academy of Sciences of the USSR was allowed to build FIAN radio astronomy station in Serpukhovsky region and set a radio telescope there.
At present on the observatory's territory there are two and a half radio telescopes:
1. Radio telescope RT-22 FIAN — a telescope with a parabolic reflector with 22m diameter acting since 1958, it was the first large radio telescope in the world capable to work in the millimeter-wave range.
2. Radio telescope DKR-1000 — a meridian type telescope with an empty aperture consisting of two cross-shaped antennas North-South and East-West. In fact only East-West direction is functioning now, that is why we wrote "a half".
3. Radio telescope BSA FIAN — an array consisting of 16384 vibrators located on the area exceeding 7 hectars. Operating wave length is 3m, and in this range BSA is the most sensible telescope in the world.