49 Moscow hungry foreigners

Moscow hungry foreigners

Posted on February 24, 2010 by

Moscow hungry foreigners 1One curious Moscow guy initiated a survey on foreigners’ nostalgia for food. Let’s have a look at the results. First come the Englishmen.

Ivor Benett, reporter

English breakfast

Fried eggs, real bacon, toasts, tomatoes, baked beans and the main thing – pure English sausages. All sausages here are huge and of some strange taste – nothing to compare with pork sausages with herbs served anywhere in England.

Moscow hungry foreigners 2Martin Andrews, TV presenter

Monster Munch chips

I adore them since I was a child. A sandwich, an apple and a pack of chips were a regular school lunch. My favorite ones were with marinated onion. The other special thing is their shape – like a monster’s paw with a whole in the middle. But maybe that’s for the better that there’s no these chips here because they are really unhealthy.

Moscow hungry foreigners 3Pierce Gladstone, writer

Japanese soba noodles

In London one can visit a three-table-restaurant and make oneself stuffed with the excellent noodles. In Moscow it costs twice more and is served only in prestigious restaurants. But even there you won’t find good noodles. For some strange reason the main Japanese dish here is sushi and I never liked it much – it’s small and cold.

Moscow hungry foreigners 4Bill Dod, TV presenter

Brunch

Sunday brunch is a very nice English tradition. It usually consists of smoked salmon, muffins, sausages, sometimes spinach, eggs Benedict and champagne. You think it’s easy to find eggs Benedict in Moscow? No way. I tried them in “Luch” but they are tiny there and cost too much. Only several hotels and restaurants organize brunches but they cost four times more than in England.

Moscow hungry foreigners 5Jacob Grivs, journalist

Chicken curry

Going out and having a big plate of chicken curry for four pounds – that’s what I miss here. In London it’s always easy to find a place nearby where it’s cooked. In Moscow they serve it only in some Indian restaurants but it automatically turns into a big dinner. Not as simple as in England.

Moscow hungry foreigners 6Paul Greenan, English teacher

Yorkshire tea

A cup of British tea and a chocolate biscuit – I love this much. My favorite tea is Yorkshire one, it’s pretty strong. English tea here is rather expensive but still not the same. I don’t like the way Russians drink tea – with lemon, I like with milk. But even milk here differs. It’s not so fresh and as a result tea tastes in a very different way.

Moscow hungry foreigners 7Phillip Savill, art-director

Colmans English Mustard

It’s such a trifle but I always lack for it. It’s not a problem to find good English food here but meat or sausages need proper hot mustard but it’s a rare thing.

Moscow hungry foreigners 8Andrew Hehir, lawyer

Cadbury chocolates

They have here Twix or Mars but that’s American chocs and no any British ones. I like Cadbury very much. My favorites are with caramel. Generally, there’s a very poor choice of chocolate in Moscow. I’ve got bored rather quickly of eating the same all the time.

Moscow hungry foreigners 9Attish Patel, journalist

Coca-Cola Diet

Cola being sold here in Moscow has quite different taste comparing to English one. I can feel too much sugar in Russian cola. The other thing is there are a few vegetarian dishes in fast food cafes. I don’t eat meat but like fast food. It’s a problem for me here.

Moscow hungry foreigners 10Alexander Matthews, artist

Meat pie with kidneys

It’s a really big pie for several persons. It’s cooked from meat, carrots and onion with spice inside and with potatoes and cheese on the top. Not the healthiest food but very typical for England. It’s especially good with bitter beer.

And here come the Americans

Moscow hungry foreigners 11Irakli Iosebashvili, financial journalist

I’ve spent 25 years in New York and have never tasted such pizza like there. Here one need to go to a restaurant to taste good pizza, in New York you can get it on your way. But the main thing I miss is Lucky Charms flakes.

Moscow hungry foreigners 12Eric Leroy, English teacher

Popcorn – sweet, salty, spice, of various kinds and flavors, I get used to buy it ready-to-use. I’ve found it here only in cinema. The other thing I lack for are American pancakes usually served for breakfast with butter and maple syrup.

More stories:

Click here to read next random post from English Russia

49 Responses to “Moscow hungry foreigners”

1. Greg says:

the fact that a lot of these english speakers go for snack food shows the low brow culture of the english speaking world. If you had asked a Spanish man, French or German or Italian they would have named a real national dish. I think that these people don’t quite get the question. Bourbon and Chinese noodles? Need I say more…

• BigMike says:

Dont Spanish people still bath in Ditches?

• Chico says:

Wow, leave it to some people to see politics in everything. All people have their foods of choice. Your opinion is not objectively the right one. But, I guess racism crops up anywhere.

I couldn’t believe the Campbell’s soup, ’cause it’s way too salty for me, for example, but there’s this old phrase “to each his own.” I never had borcht and I don’t pine for vodka, but I’d never come to a site and smear Russians for their tastes. Likewise the Brits and their everything fried.

Great pictures, though. Really a funny concept.

2. jb says:

Lack of organic products? It’s what my Russian girlfriend misses living in the US . . .

• Kirov says:

Indeed, in the city you will not find organic food in Russia, outside there is plenty. In USA it’s almost a culture.

• meshca says:

If you mean paying out the a** for organic food, yes it’s a mass cult following in USA. However, the majority of Russia, Ukraine, and generally all ‘easter bloc’ countries focus on organic food. That’s why the fruit there is seasonal, it’s grown naturally, although sometimes with pesticides, usually not with genetic engineering. I can’t speak for Moscow, because it’s heavily industrialized, and therefore has too much dependence on supermarkets. However, most cities in those countries still depend on regular/natural farming. Most cities in US have supermarkets as their main source of food, and most supermarkets carry a majority of cheap genetically engineered food.

3. Indy75 says:

Couscous, paella, cassoulet, boeuf bourguignon, choucroute : so many dishes it is hard to find in Moscow, let alone at reasonable prices. Anyway, what can be found at reasonable prices in this city : Russian people really do have a serious problem at prompting a correct price for anything…
    Hopefully, there is still Russian food which is correct if not very diversified. And Western Europe is just 2-3 hours flight, to find at least all these dishes.

4. perristalsis says:

Wherever you’re at, it’s never the same as home.

5. Mike says:

I call BS on jb. I live in a tiny town in Texas and have access to all sorts of organic food. It costs more, but one CAN buy it. All those people, both Brits and Americans, are nothing but whiners.

• meshca says:

Problem with that is, food is SUPPOSED to be ‘organic.’ But unfortunately, it’s expensive because the population has outgrown the output natural farming can produce, it’s also inconsistent.

It’s a shame we have to pay a premium for normal food.

6. Fifield says:

Baked Peas????

7. Ones says:

Ooooh…. Useless article…

8. New Fake Kirov says:

9th!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

9. are you kidding says:

What no fried chicken and mash potatoes and gravy with cheese and mac .

10. Tom says:

You can buy proper British sausages and bacon in Moscow – try http://www.sausages.ru!
    What I would like would be Hoi Sin sauce, and Tsing Tao beer – the former, if available, is expensive, and I’ve never seen the latter outside a restaurant.

11. Jamie Oliver says:

Ere hold on me old china,
    feckin english food is the dogs nob, not like russian tat which involves eating dogs nobs. Facking English nosh in some of the most respected in the world. What did the russians ever do for the culinary experiance? Beaver and raw deer all washed down with 100% alcohol..mmmmm waiter two for lunch me old cocker!

• Henry What-Ho says:

I say old chap, what the devil is wrong with you? English food the worst on Earth? How dare you??!! I’ll have you know English fish and chips is envied the world over!! It’s no surprise that our fellow Chinamen are positioning their entire economic development for the next thirty years around fish and chips!! I don’t see them doing the same with your commie dogs testicles, yah?

12. BigMike says:

I never understood how Russians can live on Pickles and Vodka?

13. Unknown says:

What did you expect, ’tis the most expensive city on the planet!

14. EnglishCanuck says:

Try some caviar and smoked salmon. I travel and miss Canadian bacon, poutine, beer. But even in poor countries like Cuba you can get by. Mexico has awsome baseball steaks and conch. English fish&chips is good too, but with Heinz ketchup on the side. Is English teacher a good job in Russia? I guess you have to be bilingual Russian though? Next winter I am spending in the Florida Keys so no Russian teaching jobs in my future I guess…

• Cracker says:

In our part of the USA you can get ANY type of food you could imagine. I’ve been to nice restaurants all over Europe, Canada and the Carribean and I must say, I haven’t run across anything you can’t find here. Quality-wise or selection-wise.

Execpt for POUTINE!!!!! Every time I go to Canada I make sure I have POUTINE. It will give you high blood pressure, clog your arteries and stop your heart all at once, but man oh man is it good!

• EnglishCanuck says:

Yes, poutine is a regional favourite, Quebec’s contribution to fast food. For those who never tried it, it consists of French Fries (crisp) layered with white cheese curds and topped with hot gravy so that the curds melt and mix in. It is rich and heart-stopping, but damn good with a beer and a toke.

15. bubba says:

wtf no heinz baked beans ? hahahah great post !

16. wohoo says:

Colmans English Mustard is gold!

17. Taupey says:

LOL You Onery Little Finnish Sh1t! That’s Cheating! :P

18. Quick says:

I’ll haaave the number 11 at Mcdonalds please… yummy…

19. Steamed McQueen says:

No good bourbon? Can’t say I agree with that. It’s available but extremely expensive.

Now the total unavailability of Crown Royal… that was always a mystery to me. Except for the duty-free shops at the airports it was not to be had in any store at any price. Other Canadian products were readily on sale, but no Crown. Why?

Other things I always found odd… Hot dogs can be found in almost any store that sells food, yet hot dog rolls were nearly impossible to find.

A decent steak? Maybe in a high-end restaurant but not in any grocery story or market. Oh there was beef, of course but no cut of beef that I could recognize. I always found this curious as Russians had no problem properly processing a chicken or a pig, but could not do the same for a cow.

Cabbage? Everywhere of course. Sauerkraut? Nope.

Plenty of apples, but no applesauce.

Pickles, yes. Pickle relish… no.

A previous poster mentioned the lack of maple syrup. Given how many maple trees are in Russia I didn’t expect this to be a problem, but it was. Birch syrup? Not even close.

• Musa says:

WTF there is NO Crown Royal? Is there NO Crown Royal Reserve either? What kind of craziness is that? :(

• Kirov says:

Russia is surreel country. Bottle of simple red wine I saw in berlin for 4 euro was 25 euro’s in Astrakhan. Imagine the price of decent bourbon. Expensive because of tax-bribes involved.

Plenty of hot mustard in Russia. Also good food, but greasy and little diversity. Easy to go fat here.

20. SSSR says:

Maybe someday Russia will have salad dressing like Ranch or Thousand Island and mayonase will no longer be the only dressing.For the people here who has never been to Russia,the beautiful Ruska I lived with for 2 weeks fed me some very good food.It was half western and half Russian.And Russian’s don’t drink vodka everytime they eat!I miss Russian hospitality.If you are a guest in their home they will place before you many different foods to eat anytime during the day.

21. CZenda says:

Well, they whined about almost all disgusting parodies of real food, but they forgot to mention “John Smith´s”, possibly the worst parody of beer I ever tasted.

22. ImpeachBloBama '10! says:

“stakes and burgers”? Would that be wood or metal stakes?

“They have them in several places but they are worse”? Worse than what?

Chinese food is very delicious because it’s cooked by the Chinese? What? Only Chinese people are capable of cooking delicious Chinese food?

And you TEACH English? God help your students….

“C.J. Lovell jr., English teacher

I was born in Texas and the things I miss here are stakes and burgers. They have them here in several places but they are worse. And I also lack for Chinese food which is available anywhere in USA ad is very delicious because it’s cooked by the Chinese.”

IMPEACH BLOBAMA AND JAIL HIS LACKEY CRIMINALS!

23. Adolf says:

OMG ich hab gestern einem Hund einen geblasen und ein ami hat mir dabei die eier geleckt das war aufregend

24. Sausage Connoisseur says:

“…nothing to compare with pork sausages with herbs served anywhere in England”

I would be very grateful if Mr Benett could share with us an invaluable information concerning the name of hallucinogen he apparently was under influence of whilst trying to convince us that this sorry imitation of sausage, made of paper and chavs somewhere in Brownutopia is actually anything you could recommend to anybody but your worst enemy.

25. Kaiser says:

awesome dude!))

26. robin yates says:

when in a new country, try what they eat,,,,,,,,

27. Kris says:

Dunno about the bloody english, I’m welsh and I miss curry half and half. aswell as glamorgan sausages caerphilly caws (cheese).

28. Hello may I use some of the insight here in this blog if I reference you with a link back to your site?

29. Eh says:

“I never understood how Russians can live on Pickles and Vodka?”

I never understood why some people think that Russians live on Pickles and Vodka.

30. Tom says:

We got it England is great, but lets see you find any Russian foods that are good and cheap in London.

31. zipp says:

thirty years ago, yes. but the UK has some of the best places to eat in the world nowadays.

32. Howdy could I use some of the perception located on this blog if I produce a website link again to your website?

33. John P says:

UK To each his own. During both wars the only food that was usually plentiful was fish and chips. It was one of the main reasons we never really starved. The best fish and chips near where I live is cooked by a Turkish kebab shop. It’s good by ANY standards. Strange old world we live in.