16 The Soviet New Year’s menu with a smell of nostalgia

The Soviet New Year’s menu with a smell of nostalgia

Posted on December 23, 2009 by team

db119017965c

Many Soviet people used to have one-type New Year’s menu and it was explained by a poor variety of products at stores. That is why they still remember that special “New Year’s smell” – “Olivye” and “Vinegret” salads and tangarines. Eh, what was the time – the 80s…

1. “Olivye” or “Russian salad”

Ingredients:

Potatoes – 4pcs,

Carrots – 4pcs,

Eggs – 4pcs,

Cooked sausage – 300g,

Pickles – 4pcs,

Canned peas – 1pcs,

Bulb onions – 1-2pcs,

Mayonnaise – 150-200g.

Recipe:

Boil and cool vegetables, sausage, onions and pickles and cut into little cubes about 0,7cm. Add peas. Dress with mayonnaise, mix and put into a proper bowl.

post-3-12614948231562

Vinegret” or “Vegetable salad”

Ingredients:

Beet – 1pcs,

Potatoes – 2pcs,

Pickles – 1pcs,

Sour cabbage – 100g,

Carrots – 2pcs,

Cannellini – 1 split,

Bulb onion – 1 pcs,

Salad oil – 1-2 tablespoons,

Greens and salt to taste.

Recipe:

Cut boiled beet, potatoes, carrots and a pickle into little cubes. Chop greens and onions. Put cabbage and boiled cannellini into the chopped vegetables and dress with salad oil.

post-3-12614948529406

3. Dressed herring

Ingredients:

Herring – 1 pcs,

Potatoes – 1pcs,

Beet – 1pcs,

Eggs – 1pcs,

Onions and mayonnaise to taste.

Recipe:

Gut the herring and separate the filleted fish from the fish-bones, try to remove all little bones.

Cut the fillet into pieces and put on the bottom of a flat salad bowl. Chop onions and strew on the fish. Boil potatoes in the jackets, peel and cut into little cubes. Put it on the fish layer and wash over with mayonnaise. Cut or grate the egg and put it as a new layer on the potatoes with the mayonnaise. The last layer is to be strewed with grated beet and dressed with mayonnaise. The ready salad may be prettified with egg segments and greens.

16 Responses to “The Soviet New Year’s menu with a smell of nostalgia”

1. max says:

1st

I was fine till i saw the Kholodets cant say im that keen on jelly :)

ps cool site

2. Mr. says:

Oh, those were the ugly times…

Happy they’re gone for ever.

3. eger_666 says:

Oh yeah. I like Olivie and kholodets.

4. jozef says:

We got Ruskoje Igristoje in here

5. ... says:

I love Russian food! Warms my soul and satisfies my stomach!

6. V_Power says:

Kholodets is ukrainian national meal… but all here is awesome taste!!!

7. Song Of Beltane says:

I’m not into that jelly meat food either but I love fish, eggs, beets, cucumber pickles, tomatoes, cabbage, potatoes and all that other great stuff yum. Thank you for this wonderful post!

8. Musa says:

It’s actually ‘Olivier’ and named after French chef!!

9. Kirov says:

Most important ingredient is mayo. Lots of mayo! We like fat! Salo and mayo, a good team!!

10. Kirov says:

I like picture of happy Russian family!!! New year would be same as previous year! And year before! Etc.!
    Only after democracy kicked in things got exciting! Hurrah!

11. Roman Emelyanenko says:

WTF?

12. Katyushka says:

I remember those dishes from my childhood though I’m not Russian,but Polish. They are all really very tasty, especially the first salad, minced meat, herring and cheap,but sweet and tasty sparkling wine… I live in the States now and I wouldn’t trade any of the fancy seafood and fillet mignon holiday dishes for the taste of those “Soviet” delicacies!!!To those who write comments like “thanks God those times are over”: during those times people were eating modestly, but it was not food that was important, but being together and enjoying free time with family and friends. In the USA I see a lot of sad, emotionally distant families gathered around the rich tables with best foods,just eating and compensating the lack of bond in family with 2000-calories deserts and a new 55″ plasma tv… Sad.