61 Has Byelorussia left Russia and Ukraine far behind?

Has Byelorussia left Russia and Ukraine far behind?

Posted on December 12, 2009 by team

street

Let’s make a reservation – it’s hard to confirm, but some facts are rather eloquent.

street-2

street-3

61 Responses to “Has Byelorussia left Russia and Ukraine far behind?”

1. Steamed McQueen says:

Anyone who has been to Russia knows that they have multi-tiered pricing there also. Go to most any museum and you will see the prices posted for both citizens and non-citzens.

Indeed it is very clean in the photos, much like Helsinki.

Locals picking up their own trash? One has to wonder if they do it out of pride and respect for their city or if the penalty for littering is so severe that everyone is extra careful.

Isn’t Belarus still ruled by a hardline dictator?

• Axr says:

Hello. I am sorry but: go to belarus and tell to the belorussians that they are ruled by a dictator: “they will look at You, There will be a long silence and will ask You who are You to tell that and that they like their president, that he is not a dictator at all and that the country needs somebody with strong politic (look what is Ukraine now with too much liberalism, some countries can not be ruled like USA: different mentalities” Right for 85% of the population: so stop to watch TV, take the plane and go before telling what you heard or watched: make your own opinion.

• Artur says:

You know, we don’t have penalties for littering at all.

• Not anymore says:

I guess Lukashenko is losing his position as “the last dictator of Europe” after Mr. Putin was so successful in effectively bringing Russia to a curious mix of Fascism and Neo-Soviet rule.

2. Axr says:

“In fact living standards in this country are practically the same as in Russia or Ukraine”: Are You kidding? Have You ever been to Belarus? It is far more developped and civilized than Ukraine or Russia. And people are not so unhappy as the medias say. Most of the inhabitants will tell You that they are proud of their country and that they like their president because he has a strong politic in order to protect the country and to hold the people. Alcohol is forbidden to be sold after 11 P.M. Drivers stop the car to let you go accross the street: you will never see that in Russia or Ukraine. Also, there is less corruption, lots. Belarus is truly a nice country. Ukraine and Russia are 3 world countries compared to Belarus. I know that a lot of people here especially russians won’t be happy to read that but this is a fact.

• Musa says:

No Axr it’s okay from you because you are honest about it.
      You are not always critizing all Russians because maybe you had bad experience with some Russians and so you are angry with all Russian peoples.

I appreciate you honesty and respect you words.

You are good man.

3. Musa says:

I like it not.

4. beko says:

Yes dear. Belarus far more better than russian it self, if we speaking about clean. I’m not russian nor belarusian.

5. D.K. says:

Wow looks like a nice place. They really take care of it! I wish people around the world took more care of their surroundings, I mean it looks like you could eat right off the street! And about the multi-tier pricing, it doesn’t surprise me plus their country-their rules.

6. Kirov says:

STOP INSULTING RUSSIA BY COMPARING ITS LIVING STANDARDS TO THAT OF UKRAINE!

UKRAINIAN BROTHERS WILL ACHIEVE HIGH LIVING STANDARDS WHEN THEY THROW OFF THE WESTERN YOKE AND OLIGARCHS AND BECOME OUR FRIENDS!

7. Ukrainian girl says:

Dear Kirov

We are not your brothers or friends at all. Look at your country motherland Russia before speaking: this is a real dump. Look at your datchas and roads: is is as bad as we have. I am deeply saddened. West is our future and you will be alone, soon. Look what is happening in Estonia, Latvia, Lettonia, Poland…You are not welcome now there. Why?…You d better ask yourself the question.

Soon, Russia will be a region of China. Sad

8. From Finland with love says:

“Despite Belarus’ territorial proximity to Russia, for some reason, many ex-USSR citizens still believe Byelorussia to be a poverty-ridden, agrarian country that has not gone far from some Moldova or Tajikistan in its development. In fact living standards in this country are practically the same as in Russia or Ukraine. And in such aspects as cleanness and order Belarus will leave any CIS country far behind.”

What a nice troll you are afterall. You do know you are nearing the point of discrimination/racism? And if not, you are still generalizing so much it makes me mad. Keep this stuff in mind when writing articles in the future. ;)

9. SSSR says:

It seems like the moderation comes in waves.In the middle of the wave the comments post right away.On the wave they await moderation.What is the point of your comment to be in moderation on these comment posts when only you can see it on your computer and no one els can??There are many blog sites in cyberspace that does not have the ridiculous moderation feature.I would not be surprised if many blogers left this site to blog on another one!!!!

10. KBR says:

One question, well two: 1) where are all the cars, I see some but there are very few, 2) where are the people, are to few people, perhaps it was Sunday?

• Ximlania says:

In Belarus everyday is “Sunday”.because of their are no jobs.each and every citizen(weather he is human or animal)is legally bound to attend Lukashenko’s “marathon” speeches!! ! ! ! !.well may be all cars and motor driven vehicles are banned due to their “pollution”.

11. Ximlania says:

i only found proximity to belarus,with dear leaders` country “North Korea”! ! ! ! ! !.huge buildings,expression less faces,”organised discipline”,empty “neat clean” roads,artificially “imposed” order in every aspect of life.How can one believe on this?????without sustainable development,there is no country developed.in my opinion,Belarus is the most beautiful “prison” in the whole world! ! ! ! ! ! !R I P . . . . . . . . .

12. Ximlania says:

What is the “culture” of Belarus?????Lukashenko’s` order of the day?????if i have chance to go to somewhere else,i prefer to go to “civilised” land like in western Europe! ! ! ! !raise your standard of thinking! ! ! ! !Russia,ukraine and Belarus are the faces of “same” coin.i think year “2345” is the year of “change” in these country! ! ! ! ! !

13. Leo Petr says:

The streets are empty. Why have boulevards when there is hardly anyone walking along them?

14. Oleg says:

“The beer is not impressive too, though…”

Lie! Byelorussian beer is almost as good as best Czech and German brands. I’m not a Byelorussian, so it’s not a kind of boasting.

15. Kilroy Was Here says:

Very beautiful city. Interesting that one of their “sister cities” is Tehran.

16. From Finland with love says:

Axr, I apologize for any inconvience caused by my short temper. But I didn’t like the writer being such a fool, tried to think for the Moldovians/Tajiks.

Which reminds me that why there is no article at all about related nations? I’d love to see the wineyards of Moldova or the rugged mountain streams of Tajikistan. Infact, Central Asia in whole isn’t represented at all, not in the same scale as Russia/Ukraine. Central Asia is more intriguing than you’d guess.

17. From Finland with love says:

Axr, I apologize for any inconvience caused by my short temper. But I didn’t like the writer being such a fool, I tried to think for the Moldovians/Tajiks.

18. john says:

I can only speak about Byelorussia not having visited other countries mentioned here, I found the country to be VERY tidy, the people generally to be very friendly and generous, like most countries they have a vast gap between rich and poor, but considering the burden placed on the country by the Chernobyl disaster,I would say this country is enriched by its people and values if not by actual capita, the hotel i stayed at in Minsk was comparable with western hotels, and i am glad i had the opportunity to visit this great country, i was impressed by the transportation system which made British equivalents look amateur and poorly planned by comparison.
    A warm hearted people let’s hope they can stay that way as their nation grows

• Ximlania says:

Very funny! ! ! !John,are you hired by the commiserate?your “first” hand experience is “remarkable”.will you try to learn about the “real” Belarus????go to wiki and know some “basic”statistics about peaceful and calm country.in the whole Europe,Lukashenko is the longest ruling dictator who is “elected” so many times by his peoples.without the backing of Russian federation,lukashenko is no more! ! ! ! !

19. mat says:

If Bielarus is so nice whay so many of them emigrated to Poland looking for job.

20. Jirka says:

yes and they have a belorussian buses in Havana Cuba …a good one ;-)))

21. lemming says:

Belarus is like North Korea. It’s clean, poor and doesn’t have rich people. That’s why some people think, it’s rich. But it’s not. It’s just a country where everybody earns there 300 bucks a month and can’t say a bad word about the President. There is no girls, no drinks, no normal food, no clubs etc., etc, etc. Just visit it one day and you’ll see it yourself. It’s aEast European North Korea,

22. john says:

Oh yes that’s right I was hired to say nice things, I was personally asked to write a pack of lies so that people who don’t read the whole of the post can fling mud at me!

“A warm hearted people let’s hope they can stay that way as their nation grows

I’m not unaware of the darker side of life there, but have chosen to look at what is good about my experiences”

perhaps no one wants to know the good as it doesn’t fit their narrow / politically motivated view

bring on the mudslingers!

23. john says:

I must do this more often : )

24. cm says:

locals paying less is only fair, considering it was them who payed for the hotels, in the first place.

25. When you see such cleanliness it means people have pride in their city and country. I love USA but Americans can be such slobs throwing garbage in street, particularly in large cities. In many parks In USA you have a two tier price for admission: one low price for residents of the local village, town, county or state and one much higher price for non-residents. I fail to see the problem in charging the non-taxpaying people a higher price for admission.

26. In America, there are many slobs in large cities who throw their garbage out where they stand, it makes me sick. When people pay such care to cleanliness it means they have pride in their city and country.
    IN USA there are many village, county and state parks where local residents pay low price and non-residents pay a much higher price-I fail to see the problem with having non-tax paying people pay more.

27. Alexander Lukashenko says:

We dont need fake russians like you there.

28. lolo says:

E-mailing your media about Belarus))) It was laughter and frustration in your democracy.

29. HUGO says:

TERRIBLE LIMPIO PO LOCOOOO!!!!

30. American says:

Wow, these pictures remind me of the United States. Nice and clean. :P

31. Beer says:

Is it beer 30, yet? I’m ready to crack open a nice bottle of Sierra Nevada Celebration Ale!