12 Looking Into the Skies

Looking Into the Skies

Posted on November 21, 2009 by

Looking Into the Skies

Nowadays many people believe that the Soviet Union was the first in the field of space exploration. However, only few know that USSR also had great achievements in another close field – astronomy. During a long time the world’s biggest telescope called The Big Azimuth Telescope or the BAT was located in this country. Moreover, it was constructed exclusively using Soviet technologies and developments, which demonstrated the country’s leadership in the field of optical instruments.

Photo credits:1

Looking Into the Skies 2Looking Into the Skies 3

The decision to build the reflecting telescope with mirror diameter of 6 meters was made by the Cabinet of Ministers of USSR on March 25, 1960. Numerous leading Soviet enterprises were commissioned to work on the project. Authorities decided to construct the object at height of 2100 meters above the sea level near mt. Pastukhova located near Zelenchukskaya Cossack village in Karachayevo-Cherkessia.

12 Responses to “Looking Into the Skies”

1. jeje says:

damnnn first! for teh first time :D

2. Kirov says:

Lets impersonate each other!

3. Shlomo says:

Another great jewish achievement!

4. Taupey says:

These are facinating photographs! Thank you for sharing them! :)

5. Stalinska says:

It’s not BAT! It is called BTA-6.

6. Dave says:

I had always wanted to see pictures of this telescope. I read a book about the Hale telescope at Palomar that mentioned this but had no pictures of it. It was carefully specified to be larger than the Hale, but has never been quite as good.

7. I read a book about the Hale telescope at Palomar that mentioned this but had no pictures of it.

8. Ivana Benderova says:

This is the same telescope that Bush Jr. used when he famously said this about Vladipu:

“I looked the man in the eye. I found him to be very straight forward and trustworthy and we had a very good dialogue.”

“I was able to get a sense of his soul.”

“He’s a man deeply committed to his country and the best interests of his country and I appreciate very much the frank dialogue and that’s the beginning of a very constructive relationship.”

Hummmm…. seems to me less like good science and more like “Hubble Trouble!”