19 DIY Local Globes

DIY Local Globes

Posted on November 9, 2009 by

Russian DIY globes

In Russia and other post Soviet countries there were a real craze on independence after they finally got it with USSR collapse. Sometimes this took some weird forms like, for example, making the globes of their own country. Yes, those were just like regular globes we used to see on geography classes but instead the whole world only their own country was mapped on it.

These things were officially on sale and still you can buy something like "the globe of Ukraine" in shops of Kiev.

So then people went further and decided to make the globes of their local cities or even villages. With modern technologies this can be done by practically anyone just in a few minutes and then can be used to amaze the friends and relative. We'll show you how. As a result we can get such neat globe of your place like on the picture above.

Russian DIY globes 2

You would need some ready made globe that can be acquired from a shop.

Russian DIY globes 3

Then there is a need of a map of your desired planet. It can be just a map or satelltie map or hybrid map, anything would look cool. It should be in 2:1 proportions.

19 Responses to “DIY Local Globes”

1. Kinoman says:

SECOND!!!

2. unreal4u says:

lol …. that would be great if I were able to print my country in 2:1… only bad thing is that i live in Chile ¬¬

Greetings and keep up the good work :)

3. Sergei Brin(I'm Feeling Lucky) says:

You can order globes with Berlin Wall, use google!

4. Victor Bout says:

Ukraine is not a country!

5. Musa says:

I don’t want to know that! :(

6. Tom says:

I’ve never seen one of these before… Looks interesting!! I remember right after the Soviet Union collapsed and they were selling maps/atlases/globes off pretty cheap as they were out of date. I was pretty young at the time but I do remember my Dad coming home looking all pleased with himself after managing to secure a bargain – not realising it had USSR on the map rather than Russia! Muppet

7. Taupey says:

Atlast I can put all my Fantasy Worlds and Stars on different sized spheres and create my very own Fantasy Universe where I will forever reign as The Great Goddess!

8. Domo says:

Not quite.

It comes from a joke, where a man comes into a department store and asks for a globe of Ukraine and a ruler for 3rd grade.

9. mc says:

My city, my World Ha!

10. Ukrainians, Georgians, etc.. all want independance no matter what the cost. Why? Because Russia shoved unnatural, immoral, totalitarianism down their throats? One thing British learned: if people want to separate let them go the cost to keep them is too high.

11. h2ppyme says:

Actually the globe of Estonia was quite a joke in Estonia about 10 years ago. Apparently, Estonia looks a little like the map of the world, with its islands making up the Americas etc. Just take a look ;)

12. H.S.Dildine says:

Artist, Hilary A. Scott, (www.hilaryascott.com) has been making globes like this one (representing a single place encompassing a globe)for the past 3 years. Though not exactly geographically accurate, the artist globes are hand painted and meant to communicate a concept of geo-centric thought that people, and communities, tend to get stuck in. It is interesting for one place, or country, to be so independent that it feels like the whole world. For example, someone who has never left their home town..