16 Unusual Transport On Moscow Streets

Unusual Transport On Moscow Streets

Posted on November 5, 2009 by

Old Moscow Roads

Today’s picture selection is devoted to unusual transport on the streets of Moscow. Here you will find two-storied trolleybuses, steamships on the Moscow River and even an elephant. In the first pic you see construction equipment on Arbat Square during building of the Kalinin Prospect.

Old Moscow Roads 2

Assembling of trolleybus cables

Old Moscow Roads 3

A very colorful road-roller.

16 Responses to “Unusual Transport On Moscow Streets”

1. AMERICAN BOy says:

Chirmara dang it you stole my glori oh well. 2nd

2. Colan says:

ehm, looks like you messed up putting the right text and images together, it’s a mess

3. Taupey says:

I love the white horses and sleigh! Great old photographs! Thanks to all for sharing! :)

4. Jim-Bob says:

The thing I find most curious is the VW Beetle with the “War No” sign on it that is on the curb in the pic with the two electric buses. It’s obviously a picture from the immediate post war period (There is also a GAZ Poebda and a ZIS in the pic), and I can’t imagine too many Russians wanting a German people’s car at that time. The ZIS shows that there was probably someone very high up there at the time of the photo, and I can’t help wondering if it is a propaganda shot of some sort due to the English sign on the Beetle. The ZIS could also be a Packard as that is what they were copied from, but I tend to think it is not a Packard.

• CZenda says:

The sign says something about Cuba. I think the picture can be safely dated to the late 50s or the time of “Cuban crisis”. It is highly improbable that the car belongs to a Russian – the proletariat ruling in USSR at the time is in the trolleybus or walking “per pedes” ;-)

5. Axr says:

Moscow is better looking before than now. Sad, we don’t progress.

6. Musa says:

I like the old pictures and the different types of transportation. I especially like the bicycles with the sidecar for the boxes.

7. heatmiser says:

Very very interesting!

I am amazed at photo 21. The Russian police had American Fords? It is a Crown Victoria Police Interceptor and was produced from 1992 to 1997.

I also like the childrens peddle car that looks like an antique auto. That would be worth THOUSANDS today.

8. Sarkawi says:

I love those boxy cars (picture #1 and #2).. Just like kids’ toys..

9. mc says:

We also had doubledecker trolleybuses in my hometown, Porto.