29 Left to Rust

Left to Rust

Posted on October 11, 2009 by

Ukrainian cars

When the car becomes out of use to its owner, or when it gets to tired and refuses to keep further service it’s a normal thing to leave it rusting under open skies in post Soviet countries.

Officials don’t fine people for that and don’t tow cars away, so many small streets or public yards have one or two of those that would not move by themselves away again.

Some of them even get painted by locals to a color of a curb or of a nearby wall.

Those ones stay on streets of Ukraine.

Ukrainian cars 2

Ukrainian cars 3

29 Responses to “Left to Rust”

1. What is this says:

I haven’t seen a Multicock Volco before.

• Ty says:

Its Multilock you Knob, its a type of gear lever locking mechanism, locks the vehicles gearbox in reverse to prevent theft.

2. Jim-Bob says:

I would love to bring some of those to the US to rebuild as driver quality cars. The unique style of some of them is really col. It’s not quite Western, and most people would never guess what it was.

3. Spanic says:

Me and my friends once repaired one of those cars and were driving “pushing” it around the block :D

4. Chris says:

The Ukraine is a 3rd world country.

5. SSSR says:

Could it really be,no more Miss India posts on englishrussia!!!!!!!!

I hope she is doing well,not that I miss her same repetitive posts!

6. Estrafalario says:

there used to be a lot of cars like that in Mexico also, but nowadays you can’t just leave anything on the street like that because someone will steal it and make some money out of it

7. Car like the other machine, not use will rust.

8. FromIndoWithLove says:

That looks way more well maintained than the ones in my country (Indonesia) Lol

9. wrd says:

Nice B1000 – and it’s still in use (snow under the car)

• Willis says:

I didn’t know that Barkas’ and Zuks were exported to the USSR too…

• CZenda says:

The van on the first photo looks very similar to the infamous and much hated Škoda 1203/TAZ.
        I guess Barkas and Zuk are post-1990 second-hand personal imports.
        What is the car on the 2nd photo – possibly some Moskvich?

• Kirov says:

In first photo RAF. These minivans were made in Riga(Latvia). After an exit of Latvia from the USSR, factory have plundered and have destroyed.

10. ugis says:

well in Latvia you can be fined for this and the local authorities usually tows away cars like this. But mostly you can`t see cars abandoned on streets like in these pictures.

11. mr six says:

some of them are in better condition than my car lol

12. TaupeyAna says:

I would love to have the step van to turn into a motorized vardo.

13. Oliveira says:

nice shots, I guess.

14. Rick says:

Nice Chevy Impala. Makes me want to go to Ukraine, buy it and master the moment. I’d doubt that there is anything seriously wrong with it. With a 350 v8 engine (standard)they were easy to work on, comfortable, good handling and powerful dependable cars. Not cheap to drive unfortunately :)

15. Timo says:

Here in Estonia (forer part of soviet union) we don’t have abandoned cars on the streets. Owner would be tracked down and he/she would be forced to pay or move the car. Anyway you could sell it to metal buyers.

But creat pics! Its hard to believe you can see something like that on the streets nowdays.

16. Timo says:

Estonia WAS a part of soviet union. Typo in my last post.

17. F says:

AHHH I WANT THE LIGHTS OFF THAT VOLVO. US got plastic ones that haze over and crack.

18. Jed118 says:

In the early 90’s in Warsaw there were a few old 125p and 126p like that (also Zuk, also seen in these pictures) around the streets. I took a lot of them apart as a kid, I still have steering wheel stalks, speedos, and lots of switches. I learned how to hot wire the Fiats because of the super-easy ignition switch (I even built a harness to permit ACC and Start!)

There was also a 2107 Lada I remember, on our street. They were there every summer from about 93 to 97, then the influx of western cars came, and people cleaned them up to make room to park Mercedes, BMW, Vauxhaul, Opel, Renault, etc.

Good times, but ultimately, good that they are gone. Seems so weird to see them in Ukraine, our neighbours, 15 years later! Brings back memories!

19. NNM says:

Now, what interests me the most is the car 4, japanese car with steering wheel on the right side. Right hand cars were banned something like in 1996 or so. Yet plates on it are quite new (that series is like 1998 or so). Now thats a mistery to me, ehh

20. sobot2 says: