53 Gagri, Abkhazia

Gagri, Abkhazia

Posted on September 25, 2009 by

Gagri, Abkhazia

We had some shots from this magnificent place before a few times - some of them may be here again, but anyways this place looks cool - the lost Soviet paradise where in the sub-tropical forests of what now is called Abkhazia the old Russian resort Gagri stands, mostly abandoned now.

It's pretty short time needed for the nature to recover and take over what man has created. It's been said that fifty years is enough so that most of the abandoned structures can't be spotted from the airplane. It has passed almost twenty years already.

Gagri, Abkhazia 1

Gagri, Abkhazia 2

53 Responses to “Gagri, Abkhazia”

1. Mr. Rabinovich says:

We would not have this mess if Jewish people were not discriminated against so much.

2. John says:

Picture #17 in the upper left corner there’s a building with scaffolding around it. I wonder if the whole area will be rebuilt some day. It would be a shame not to rebuild it all.
    That place looks really nice in the good photos.

3. maxD says:

Same story as before – invest in maintenance and infrastructure, rediscover ‘service’ and tourism and everything related [jobs, quality of life, breeding children etc] will develop. In short, invest in a future!!! Excellent place, if I had the money I would do it myself.

• I agree with you says:

Seems to be a way more cool than Sochi.

• Dair T'arg says:

There were some problems with investments to that territory due to status of the Abkhazya. Since it is now not a part of Georgia but is free sovereign state — the coast will receive much more resources and there will be much more tourists.
      I’ve been in Abkhazya in 2005. And it was actually an illegal trip. But now… So, welcome to free Abkhazya +)

• CZenda says:

Who will go there? I mean, Central/Northern Europe travels to Mediterranean countries every summer. No offense, but why should we spend our holidays in Gagri instead of e.g. Crete or Hammamet?

• Dair T'arg says:

Gagri? Hm… The complex of Sochi’14 is near (50-100 km). The Caucas which is much more beautiful and untouched then Alps. And the Abkhazia lets you to enjoy both really high mountains and not-so-bad sea at once. You know, its great to wake up in tent at 2000 meters and after 3-4 hours to swim in a warm sea water…

• too much vodka says:

As long as the place is not internationally recognised, the problem will remain. The only way to reach it will be via a long trip via Russia – where you probably will have to stop to get a visa, because Abkhazia will only have embassies in Moscow, Caracas and Managua. The necessary investment to develop tourism, the international trade to have enough stuff to cater to tourists all will be made very difficult because of Abkhazia’s dubious international status. As long as this problem is not solved, there will be no future for Abkhazia, except for some smuggling dump for the Russian maffia.

• too much vodka says:

As long as Abkhazia is not internationally recognised, developing tourism will remain a huge problem. People will have to travel all the way through Russia to reach the place, will probably have to stop to pick up visa somewhere in Russia – because Abkhazia will only have embassies in Moscow, Caracas and Managua, international investors will stay away, trade will stay low. So, unless Abkhazia can solve the problem and get out of it’s isolation, there won’t be much hope.

4. skaprock says:

абхазы ужасно ленивые по своей натуре, а чувство собственного величия у них зашкаливает. пляжи грязные, на улицах полно мусора, удивили телефонные будки советских времен, которые не работают уже лет 15, а в магазинах даже нет ценников. они ждут когда к ним кто-то придет и уберет все.

5. Taupey says:

Its so sad to see such a beautiful place in such condition. It looks like it was a paradise at one time. :(

6. Lude Nunes says:

I love the pictures of this region. No wonder that back in 1947 John Steinbeck said that seemed almost like Russians hoped that if they behaved well they’d go to Georgia, instead of heaven. And, although if this is Georgia or not is reason for long debate, this place is still breathtaking. I just hope that someday the situation improves and more people may be able to enjoy this fantastic place.

• CZenda says:

I thought it was an anti-Soviet joke, but it is true: Steinbeck´s novel “Grapes of Wrath” was banned in the Soviet Union by Joseph Stalin in 1940 because of its showing that even the poorest Americans could afford a car.
      I love his “Cannery Row” and found out that the “Old Tennis Shoes” is still sold, under the name of “Old Tennessee”, in Lidl and other cheap stores :-D

7. Thera says:

Ha, I recognized “1_032.jpg” from the other article some years ago on englishrussia. :-)

That place looks amazing, I wish I spoke russian well enough to go to these regions

8. Sanne says:

Gagri or Gagra? It’s Gagra.

Abkhazia is the most beautiful place of the Caucasus. Actually Abkhazia was fully independence state in 1921. Even Georgia recognized its independence. See: Declaration of the Revolutionary Committee of the SSR of Georgia on Independence of the SSR of Abkhazia – 21 May 1921 http://www.abkhazworld.com/articles/reports/190

But the same year, under pressure from Stalin (Iosif Vissarionovich Dzhugashvili) and other influential Georgian Bolsheviks, Abkhazia was forced to conclude a union (i.e., confederative) treaty with Georgia. Abkhazia still remained a full union republic until 1931, when its status was downgraded, under Stalin’s orders, from that of Union Republic to that of an Autonomous Republic within Georgia.

Viva Abkhazia :)

9. Jerika says:

This resort reminds me of the tv program called Life After People.what will the earths cities look like when humans are gone?

10. Looks nice. would love to visit

11. Leo Petr says:

Factcheck: Gagra, not Gagri. My family vacationed there when I was a kid.

12. Brentbat says:

Hey there

Is there an email that I can contact you on to ask you some more questions about photographing the abaondoned buildings around here.

I live in Australia but am thinking about planning a photo expedition to photograph some of the abandoned places around here.

13. Jerika says:

It is too bad some ass hole scared away Taupey,that girl was cool.Just because she was commenting with people on this site.Isnt that what this site is all about!!

14. Priz says:

This would be a great place to film a “Half Life 2″ live action feature. Oh the possibilities.

15. Kirby L. Wallace says:

It’s just amazing that so many fantastic places exist in the world, almost unknown!

16. marina says:

Abkhazia is NOT Russia! Never was, never will be.

17. Me myself and I says:

Abkhazia was ethnically cleansed of Georgians by Russia.

18. Roman says:

Where exactly is this place? Would love to get there to take some photos!

19. Viktort says:

Does anyone know why it got abandoned?

• mr australian says:

After the russian reveloution, the bolshevicks made things like private property illegal. Things got worse as the soviet regime became more entrenched and people of wealth had to either walk away from every thing, or face being charged as a enemy of the state and shipped off to the gulag as a political prisioner.

20. Lude Nunes says:

If I had a lot of money (but really, a huge lot of money), I guess I’d buy one of these huge old abbandoned houses and restore it.

21. Josie says:

So beautiful and so sad.

22. Aimi says:

wow, so beautiful! I wish I could restore the whole place.

23. Freda Link says:

If only more people could hear this!

24. anton pann says:

foarte interesant

25. sobot2 says:

I was there :)

26. pepela says:

Gagra and the rest of the region are part of Georgia. No tourism will flourish there until they realize the only way to any international relations (I don’t mean Russia, their sole “partner”) goes via Georgia. Until then Russians can keep visiting demolished buildings and dirty streets.

27. what’s fun is in this photos????????????

28. Lorena Divinity says:

Beautiful. It takes my breath, Sir.

It takes my breath.

29. Elena says:

I visited this place many years ago, when I was a child. I remember it was really beautiful back then. It’s a shame that it looks like this now. I think the name of this city is Gagri, not Gagra. There was a song in Russian about it. It goes like this: “A more v Gagrah, a palmi v Gagrah! Kto pobival, tot ne zabudet nikogda…” :-)