50 Russia, 1896, in Color

Russia, 1896, in Color

Posted on September 11, 2009 by

Russia in the year 1896

Russia. 100 Years Ago. Again. We had it from Russian photographer Prokudin-Gorsky
whose photos are being stored in the Library of Congress in USA, but now it's totally different
case. Photos were made by Czech photographer while on his travel thru Russia back in the
year 1896. Most of them were lost later due to two wars in Europe and other tragical things but
some still managed to survive till our year 2009 and now we can see them here.

It's a big pity that there are only such a few of them left.

Russia in the year 1896 1

Russia in the year 1896 2

50 Responses to “Russia, 1896, in Color”

1. Pacific NW says:

Totally awesome.

2. Brian says:

So, I’m wondering why those people are standing around a pile of clothes in the mostly black and white photo. And my darn religious upbringing makes me think that giant wooden boat looks just like Noah’s Ark. Excellent photos, and thanks for sharing!

• Ronald says:

Brain, it looks like that “pile of clothes” contains a person. What looks like a head is on the left side of it. Possibly dead?

• altima says:

this is a photo from Khodynka in Moscow. It was a fest there
        during the coronation of Nikolay II. Since there were too many people, a jam began, and about 1500 people were crushed to death. Obviously, this is one of the victims.

• John says:

that photo is from the infamous Khodynka Tragedy.. “The Khodynka Tragedy was a mass panic that occurred on May 18, 1896, on Khodynka Field in Moscow during the festivities following the coronation of the last Russian emperor Nicholas II, which resulted in the deaths of 1,389 people.”

3. Mr. Rabinovich says:

The glory days of Jew haters.

4. Kilroy Was Here says:

Fantastic. Keep it up…

5. Kirov says:

Good photographs!!! Again I can not help but feel sadness when realizing how great Russia was with enterprising people and ambition and community sense everywhere. Look what it is today. Greedy moneygrabbers trying to ‘steal’ what they can from family, neighbours, others. No consious! Ego and egoism are the primary thing. Sad. Dad.. russia is in decline and sick.

6. Ash says:

Incredible!

7. Zipp says:

That ship statue is slightly better than the Mayor Yuri Luzhkov/Zurab Tsereteli eye sore!

8. Vic says:

Excellent photos. Not a lot of people around in some of the pictures. I really get a feel for how much population has increased since they were taken.

9. SSSR says:

Nice pictures,was Russia a better country before the Soviet Union 23 years later?

10. zax says:

Some of theese are real color photographs by Prokudin Gorskii, but some are hand-coloured black-and-white photographs.

Here are some more of the Prokudin Gorskii’s photos:

11. Taupey says:

Ilove these old photographs. Thank Yous :)

12. Prokudin-Gorsky did real color photography and this ones are just b/w photos artificially colored. But anyway, they’re very interesting.

13. Chuvak says:

And you know that how?

14. staniu says:

one thing is not right on these pics, especially one where we can see electricity – 8th from a top. Mr. Edison has discovered the bulb in 1879, it is hard to believe that from that time, after 15 years electricity industry was on so high level in russia that it was everywhere.
    Don’t you think?

• @staniu
      Where do you see any light bulbs on this photos? I see only telegraph (telephone?) wires and street lamps (but they can be, and probably are, gas lamps as well).

• Mizz... (A) says:

Guess the picture was taken around 1896.
      (Yes i am very intrested i early electric history… Not to offend or so, but as i remember from my book studies the first commersial power stations was build around 1880 )

• Anon says:

Read about Saint Petersburg’s Liteyny Bridge – first electrified bridge in the world in 1879 for example.

15. Mizz... (A) says:

I don´t knew, but a possibility is that it was for for some sort of electric arc light, electric arch light was popular before the vacum/gas light bulbs as we knew it today was invented. (and often continued use even after that to lighten up bigger areas)

• Tim Heise says:

I would say those would have to be carbon-arc lamps, which were widely used before Edison’s incandescent filament light bulb. Since carbon-arc light is blindingly brilliant and harsh, the lamps had to be mounted on tall poles far above the city’s streets. The ropes or wires paralleling the poles down to street level were probably for striking the arc, which likely was done manually each night.

16. dusan says:

what is the name of the Czech photographer who took those photes? Do you know it? Thank you Very nice pictures, nice post

17. Jerika says:

There are no Lenin statues…yet……

18. SSSR says:

Could it really be,no more Miss India posts on englishrussia!!!!!!!!

I hope she is doing well,not that I miss her same repetitive posts!

19. too much vodka says:

Nevsky Prospect with hardly any traffic, carriages moving so slowly that you can easily cross the street… a situation one can only dream of now when one sees the hectic traffic in the centre of St Petersburg.

20. heatmiser says:

Fantastic Photos. I wish there were explanations. The double decker horse wagons and the 3 decker boat are amazing. How was the boat powered? I’d assume it was coal fired steam engine paddle wheeler like a Mississippi River boat in America, but I dont see smoke stacks. Maybe it was a barge. Very cool!

21. Gaimz says:

Nice!! was Russia a better country before the Soviet Union 23 years later?

22. SSSR says:

Could it really be,no more Miss India posts on englishrussia!!!!!!!

I hope she is doing well,not that I miss her same repetitive posts!

23. Alex says:

Incredible pictures!
    I love old photos and have hardly seen some Russian ones.

24. wefw says:

Very beutiful photos
    spanish user
    agur

25. Simeon says:

May God grant Russia to return to its former greatness!

Thankyou for photo. I wish I lived in this Russia

Simeon From Moscow

26. marinka_lisa says:

Czech photographer Frantisek Krátký. And in Russia, he came specially for the coronation of Nicholas II

27. Oleg says:

On the 23rd photo (second from bottom) , is that the Tsar in that carriage?

28. I enjoyed your blog, come check out mine sometime.

29. nightkraawler says:

great pics…these type of pics are as valuable now as any work of art in my opinion,perhaps more…Obviously one cant go back there and take more…

30. exUSSR says:

Russia was really beautiful then

31. Mike says:

Thanks for posting these. I have a great interest in late 1800s, early 1900s Russia.

I have some photos from a June 1906 magazine of the opening of the Duma including photo of the Tsar’s entrance, and a few portraits of Duma members, along with an interesting (if western-biased) article. Maybe someday I’ll scan it and put it online somewhere…

thanks again

32. Warszawianka says:

In the first and fifth photos,the Dostoyevskian spirit is certainly made image,the Orthodox culture at his best.
    The presence of God in the poorest,dark and homeless people who decides to believe in God with humility.The poorest lived with direct contact with God in the Dostoyevskian world.
    The eternal hope in the suffering,wich will become the esence of Russia’s people is extremly well reflected in those photos.

33. Affiliate says:

Easily, the post is really the best on this worthy topic. I concur with your conclusions and will thirstily look forward to your incoming updates. Just saying thanks will not just be adequate, for the extraordinary clarity in your writing. I will at once grab your rss feed to stay privy of any updates. Solid work and much success in your business endeavors!

34. tamtam says:

Wow! Vintage photos are always a sight to see, and especially cool if they’re in color