45 Cutting Love Locks off

Cutting Love Locks off

Posted on August 19, 2009 by

fbf9f7141f6bf1c5fddc08082b6a18d7

Russian just married couples assumed a long-standing tradition of Italian weddings. They like to hang little or not so little padlocks on bridges as a symbol of their future long and stable married life. If it yet to be figured out if this really helps in preventing cheating or family tiffs, but the couples seem never to stop attaching steal pieces with their names on to the railing of Luzkov bridge, making it look like an ugly sculpture of vain hopes. The Moscow city authorities even set up there a big iron tree, where the happy newly-fledged wives and husbands are to hand their locks (to be totally honest, this pile of garbage on a stem can scare anyone of any age who sees it). Still, this tree is not as popular as the railing, and two enthusiastic volunteers made up to do things right and remove everything that was sticking out from the bridge railings and had romantic inscriptions. The guys dressed as utility workers waited for wedding processions appear on the bridge and began to cut off the locks in front of shocked brides. 67 trophies and a lot more to return for – that was the result of their hard work. “I wouldn't mess with someone carrying a bolt cutter!", told one of the tough guys. Would you?

f93e02062b30a653ae001680bdf5197e

d81353b605580f25cb2ec9304e91dc09

45 Responses to “Cutting Love Locks off”

1. RayJay says:

The guys don’t need a reminder of marriage they have a lock through their nose’s!

2. Dogz says:

if the husband cheats, the girl should balme these a_holes who took her lock, all becuz of them :(

3. Kirov says:

Yes it is a sweet tradition here. Does not prevent the massive cheating and adultery though: Russian men are MACHO and when alone with a woman they will try to score a home run!! But after 35 it is over – men are worn out because of drinking and everyday stress, completely useless in bed. I am going to the gym and I do not drink, so all those naughty ladies are for me when I grow older !!! Cannot wait !!! :)))))))

4. Nine GERMANY says:

LOL look how fat the bride is! And I thought that obesity is USA’s problem.

5. Locksmith says:

“Russian just married couples assumed a long-standing tradition of Italian weddings.”

Source? I am italian and I’ve never seen anybody doing it, the first time I saw a few locks on a bridge was in Latvia.

6. Kirov says:

7. RussianLynx says:

8. LaC says:

It’s not a “long-standing tradition” in Italy, it is (was?) a fad started by a book just a few years ago.

9. bezdomny says:

This is a lovely ritual. Is it done anywhere else in Europe, or is this a uniquely Russian custom?

The local government should designate some special areas or zones on (or near) bridges where couples can attach their locks. They can have a special panel, and when it is filled up, they can remove it and put up a new panel. Then – take all the panels (filled with locks) to some open space, and create an outdoor garden/pavillion/whatever – call it “Park Lubvi”…

10. fixegyes says:

actually there’s a city in hungary called pecs, they have some similar to this.
    I know it started long ago, but no sure when, tough.

11. pimp says:

Only drunk Russians could have come up with this.

12. Frank says:

lol it’s a neat thing to do but yeah, it makes the bridge look tacky once it is full of locks. They need to find another place to put the locks. I think the dudes cutting the locks have some big balls and think it’s awesome what they’re doing!

13. Octomom's 13th kid says:

Is Krab a common Russian name? (тюлень + краб) Here it is a sexually transmitted disease.

Also these locks are obviously not the “Top Security” as advertised.

14. -Kzk says:

lol… it’s somewhere between littering and graffiti I think, good for them cleaning it up.

15. CZenda says:

Bah hah hah hah, how very funny… NOT.
    “…two enthusiastic volunteers made up to do things right…” – how very Soviet. Instead of leaving the locks where they were (and could, possibly, make an interesting landmark after a year or two), they just destroyed them without any respect to what they may symbolize to the newlyweds.
    There are many similar “right-doers” where I live, but they are mostly old Communist swines who could not get used to the world free of Communist gleichschaltung. Their favorite pastimes include calling cops when they see incorrectly parked cars, children climbing trees in public areas etc.

16. Barrie Davey says:

Did you notice the bolt croppers were British with 36″ on them?
    Come on lads, we British love this site, please post as much as you can, keep it coming, it’s the only way we will ever get to have an insight into your traditions.
    Great site, well done.

17. Kirov says:

18. Mars says:

Saw one on the Brooklyn Bridge last night. Now I know!

19. Kevin C says:

Hmmm, seems like a sweet gesture, doesn’t seem to cause too much harm, guess I’m not thinking about what happens after a couple thousand people…..

I like that idea about the designated zones.

20. Kevin C says:

I like that idea about the designated zones.

What’s up with all the country hating? I’m just looking at this as some people who have a tradition, not as an American looking at a supposedly Italian tradition made Russian, that just seems silly.

21. Jason says:

So this is why I saw a lock on the railing of a bridge beond the reservoirs spillway in Ekaterinburg Russia.

22. Kirov says:

Yes it is a sweet tradition here. Does not prevent the massive cheating and adultery though: — Russian men are MACHO and when alone with a woman they will try to score a home run!!

23. Kirov says:

Yes it is a sweet tradition here. Does not prevent the massive cheating and adultery though:- – – Russian men are MACHO and when alone with a woman they will try to score a home run!! B

24. Kirov [fake one] says:

—- But after 35 it is over – men are worn out because of drinking and everyday stress, completely useless in bed. I am going to the gym and I do not drink, so all those naughty ladies are for me when I grow older !!! Cannot wait !!! :)))))))

25. Cpt. Morgan says:

I wanted to see the hideous metal tree with locks hanging from it!!! please post it in one of your future threads.

26. Hobbit says:

Start a new fad the bride and groom take bags and collect the trash left by people who deface public places

27. emaN says:

would’ve been helluva fun to be the guy with the bolt cutters…

28. mocciaAlRogo says:

yo, it’s not a long standing tradition at all — its just a fad inspired by a teen book

29. Lissa Storz says:

Hey, cool website. I actually came across this on Yahoo, and I am happy I did. I will definately be returning here more often. Wish I could add to the post and bring a bit more to the table, but am just taking in as much info as I can at the moment.

Chinese Restaurant Dublin

30. i just thought that married life is the happiest point of my life.:**

31. Lexi Adams says:

married life is a bit exciting but you will have lots of responsibilities.’`-

32. married life is the happiest part of a persons life if the wife and husband really love each other’`”

33. married life is actually the best if both the man and the woman compliments each other;”:

34. Russian Fan says:

Wow, how mean. I think traditions are important to keep.