21 Amber Room

Amber Room

Posted on July 24, 2009 by

The great Amber room appeared in Russia back in 1716 as a gift to Peter I from the King of Prussia Frederick William I. This way the head of the western country wanted to celebrate peace between his state and Russia and cementing their alliance against Sweden. The panels made of several tons of gorgeous gemstone, which are often referred to as the Eighth Wonder of the World, suffered a very unhappy fate – after more than two centuries of contented “life” in Russia they were stolen by Nazis during World War II and since that very time the original creation has been missing, though, by the 300 anniversary of St. Petersburg Russian craftsmen managed to restore the masterpiece, which is an exact copy of the stolen room. The new version cost 11 million dollars it took 25 years of hard work. That is the story in a nutshell, if you want to know its details, follow me…

The first elements of the room were made fifteen years before in came to Russia. It was designed by German sculptor Andreas Schlüter, who worked in a baroque style, and when the whole creation was ready, the panels were installed at Charlottenburg Palace, where Friedrich I lived. When Peter I was visiting the palace, he loved the yellow room, and very soon got it as a gift. For this the Russian Emperor gave him 55 giant grenadiers from his army.

In 1755 the Empress Elizabeth decided that the room should be moved from the Winter House to Tsarskoye Selo, or "Czar's Village", a summer residence of the court. The panels were to be installed in the Catherine Palace, but the space was larger than the previous one, and the room had to be made bigger. It was really magical and fabulous with six tones of amber and other stones – the panels covered as much as 180 square feet of royal walls and were sparking with all shades of yellow – lemon, pear, honey, mustard, apricot, golden, saffron yellow and many others.

21 Responses to “Amber Room”

1. Antimissindia says:

OMG first ever ;)

2. Avatar says:

pretty glare

3. Nick says:

I remember seeing a program about people searching for the amber room. These people seemed to think that it must exist somewhere but is very hidden. If I remember rightly, they suggested that people had died in the search for it, most in pretty strange circumstances. It may turn up yet.

4. Brüno gay says:

Great place for gay movie. I got erection!

5. patrick says:

I was there. And you aren’t suppose to take pictures or those grandmas will yell at you. So everyone carries their camera around their waist and snaps photos. Every now and then a flash goes off. And the grandmas come a running.

• Ivan Mikhailov says:

“And you aren’t suppose to take pictures” — for free. In Russia, almost any museum let you make photos if you buy a special additional ticket, quite inexpensive for non-professionals (and quite costly for professionals; a set with light sources after working hours would cost a lot). And they revoke the ticket for camera after any flash ;)

• and i agree with you says:

correctamundo. if you appear or even can pay as a semi-professional you can get a permit to take photos in the Amber Room, as in most places in Russia. We were on a tour of the place and some Korean tourists didn’t get the memo and without flash were shooed from the room and escorted from the palace. I wouldn’t risk it without a permit unless you have something to prove, and this is coming from someone who sneaks photos inside the cathedrals all the time. Don’t want to mess with the babushkas.

6. pimp says:

I see that I have a lot of people that like to imitate me, well it really pleases me.
    About the post, drunk Russians should be grateful that people from the West give them something.

7. CZenda says:

Soviets were searching for the Room even in the wreck of “Wilhelm Gustloff”, a ship full of refugees from Eastern Prussia they sunk in early 1945. I do not think it will ever be found.

• Pyoter says:

Interesting, is it not, Soviets bombed the Room into oblivion with the rest of East Prussia (destruction of Krolewiec – Koenigsberg) and then tried desperate measures such as sinking all the ships escaping from the gulf to an open Baltic Sea. Very Russian of them might I mention!
      Ohhhh… I almost forgot dear EnglishRussia posts committee, get your science straight. Unlike your comment “lots of amber couldn’t just melt” amber – a natural resin actually melts quite quickly, it burns too, but that is just my digression.

Thank you for the pictures.

8. Ole says:

Pyoter is correct, lots of amber COULD just melt. In fact I think that room could probably burn quite well once it got going. My question though, is how do they clean it? You’d think it would get a bit dull after a few years.

9. Gimp says:

Pyoter is lier.

10. Why do we not ever see any photos of the room after it was taken out, and just out of interest the Amber came from Poland?

11. daniel says:

gold a metal with a boring color. I think people that
    collect golden objects must be rich but suffer from bad taste. But on the othere hand aluminum used to be a presious
    metal in the beginning of last century. Even some kitchen utensils were made from aluminium and given to the british royal family for some reson, probably they were out of forks and spoons becaus of looting among the staff,
    just speculations

12. Robert Plant says:

All that gliters is gold!

13. cm says:

Didn’t they just found the missing pieces (literally) a couple of years ago?

14. Corné says:

A truly magnificent room! thanks for posting. P.S why so many trolls on this site?