60 The Horror of Subway

The Horror of Subway

Posted on June 2, 2009 by

Russian subway horror

The horror of Moscow, Russia subway in the works of Alex Andreev, known to us by his "Hermetic Art" series featured some time ago.

Now here's his view of the Russian subway. "It's forbidden to make shots in Moscow subway, there are everywhere signs warning not to take pictures and cops checking that everyone obide this. Especially nice shots come out late at night."

Some cockroaches couldn't run away when the flash was turned on.

Russian subway horror 2

Russian subway horror 3

60 Responses to “The Horror of Subway”

1. John says:

Any Idea why it is, or was illegal to take photos?
    And what was the penalty?

2. briedis says:

Railways, Subways, Bridges – all strategic objects.

Just remember the Londom subway bombing…

I once was take to police after walking by some fuel trains with camera in my hands. I was released afer questioning and the penalty was made that I crossed railroad in illegal place.

• Plano, Texas says:

Wow! Are they a little paranoid, or what?

• John says:

So they basically wanted to scare you?
      And they didn’t lay charges or fine you?
      I guess you got off easy.
      The law Sounds a little too extreme to me.

• fennucci says:

they will?

• ladyguitarstar says:

This is true. I worked at a Marathon oil refinery this year, and the security is pretty tight, and no pics were allowed. but i took a few anyhow.

• jay says:

3. w says:

Oh my this is terrible – why does Russia not join the EU and save their souls?

4. Thera says:

Another nice batch, interesting mind this artist has :-)

5. Fabio Tebaldi says:

GENIAL!

6. Johnny says:

Отлично!! This guy is great! Der Junge ist genial!

• Fafi says:

Not everybody is russian or lives in rusia.

• jay says:

theres a lot of symbolism used in this artwork. the subway system can refer the secret societies and how it affects the country. there are some pretty old subwaay trains and those seem to symbolize the way russian religion influences the government train. beside it, kneeling on the floor, in a somewhat peaceful. way as to symbolize the people. the next photo of the train shows a cacoon in the train, clearly depicting that a change will occur in the “political” train.the one with the exterminator can symbolize the defense mechanism of modern society; violence/hate/murder/genocide etc. the guy sleeping in the train gives me a feeling he is being expiramented, or manipulated. the spider looking creatures can symbolize the danger of the subway system/secret society. later the subway train is replaced by a more modern looking yet unnappealing, and another one that is being towed by a outdated machine. both new subways “trains” have two lower windows and one big window at the center. they way they are positioned resembles a triangel. there is plenty more symbolism to this but i’ll let you draw your own conclusion. just a side thought, i heard some archiologist found a pyramid in russia. whats a pyramid doing in russia?by the way do you happen to know why they dont allow photos? helping?

7. Kirov says:

So he took pictures in METRO. What is big deal ? Being Russian one sees these scenes or variations of them every day.

8. Jacob says:

This is getting really really boring..

In the past this site mostly posted pictures and videos about real life situation and events in Russia. But recently, I mostly see staged and photoshopped material. Boring.

9. Maraudon says:

Awsome artwork!

10. Pimp says:

No wounder that Russian drink so much, just look at their metro. I would also start drinking if I had to use metro to get to work everyday.

11. scot says:

I think they are good pics. I thought that the Moscow underground was supposed to be quite good?

12. Vitaliy says:

Great imagination, nice job!

13. dormaflea says:

NY Subway? What a Bomba-clad are you comparing with? Oh yeah, I got your point rochas and mice all over the place, plus beggars who are sleeping around filling the cars and platforms with air you cannot survive in. Stations were not reconstructed for ages, and ppl who are ridding in, here i’m stop talking.

• G says:

If I remember correctly, The MTA “Banned” the homeless from Panhandling in the subway cars. I still see them around from time to time.

14. Miguel Syyap says:

These were some amazing creations. Quite creepy and amazing at the same time. This reminds me of Silent Hill.

15. Matsuwara says:

CAPCOM should look at this and situate the next Silent Hill in a subway station. Cool concept!

16. karantir says:

Hey guys. I really can’t figure out the point of such “art” and such sites. It’s not clever, it’s not a truth, it’s not even funny… Please, stop bringing xenophobic entropy in people’s minds. And if creativity so impetuously rushing from all your slits, you could try to direct it to reduce misunderstanding at the our common planet.

From Russia with love ))

17. Angie says:

oh my goodness, those creeped me out for real!

18. matt says:

Beautiful work!
    I didn’t see it as making any comment on the state of the Moscow subway.
    Great stuff!

19. Adi says:

Fallout in real ;> nice
    maybe it’s our future
    play freeman on yt

20. asd says:

co to kurwa jest?

21. Caska says:

If this were a movie, I would watch it. Not sure what the argument is about, no one would think this is real. As kids in NY our parents would tell us all sorts of scary stories of giant bugs or rats in the subway that they would feed us too if we were bad, it would be funny to see a movie about it.

22. Boris Johnson says:

I am envious of that Metro system.

Here in London I can only dream of something as clean, spacious and robust looking.

I suspect that this system continues to work even after a centimeter of snow falls in the next county? and dare I suggest, even when it’s raining outside?

Photography is also not permitted in London, this is not for anti-terrorist purposes, but because flash photography can momentarily blind the drivers as they come out of the dark tunnels and hence is a safety issue.

I must comment that there seems to be a lack of CCTV cameras in the Russian underground stations. In London there are sufficient cameras for the central government to track every move of each citizen which is very useful for tracking down council tax avoiders and Brazilian electricians. Alas it fails to help us keep control of the millions of illegal immigrants from Pakistan intent on blowing up the indigenous population.

Kind Regards,

Bojo.

23. Boris Johnson says:

P.S.

I also must comment on the lack of advertising posters and tv screens. How on Earth do the people of Russia know when to be frightened, what to think, what to buy, or how to appropriately entertain themselves if they are not constantly reminded by the state, and commercial overlords?

Bojo.

24. oldmomma says:

it doesn’t matter what country you are from………That is very good art !!!!!! I Loved It……

25. tempe says:

wow….nice art…very love it…

26. billf says:

I love the creativity displayed in these photos.

27. Amber says:

Waste of my time . . . FAIL.

28. cep somay says:

I have no idea; how did you took that kind pics? creative

29. jay says:

am i the only one that thinks this artwork has a deeper meaning?

30. ugh says:

Yet another photoshopper who thinks hes done something special and yea i dont care if the rest of you think im wrong
    people use to actuallllllly have meaning behind there works not just ohh look at me its black and white and a subway with bugs OOOOOHHHHH hahaha.

31. Football thug says:

I will fight the lot of ya! come on!!!

32. ishma says:

que pedazo de mierda!

33. Outstanding site, where did you come up with the info in this summary? I’m happy I found it though, ill be checking back soon to see what other articles you have.

34. Bobtack says:

The bug/machine combination looking things remind me of Half Life 2.

35. ronald says:

photoshopped, you can tell from the lighting.

36. Nina says:

yeah wright that is photoshop

37. Ira Russian says:

Oh, Babushkinskaya station on 10 photo :)

38. Kimura says:

Anyone else look at second photo and think “Half-Life 2 barnacles”?

…Apparently inb4’d by Bobtack. :(

39. Top 20 Lists says:

This is seriously messed up!!