28 Russian Wooden Gadgets

Russian Wooden Gadgets

Posted on April 27, 2009 by

Russian wooden mouse

These days when people going to be more green such devices gain popularity. Russian author of wooden mice writes: "Wood, as the cover material for everyday appliances is almost not used nowadays. Plastics are cheaper, easier to produce, faster - they suit well for mass production. Real wood is still can be found from exclusive furniture producers (regular furniture is made from plywood or laminated sheets). Saw wood industry is also mainly oriented for the construction works, thus the wooden material is available on market is of worse quality. Technologies of producing beautiful things from wood suffered greatly. They are almost, not almost, just forgotten. Just some time ago people could make from wood the things that look like a miracle for a modern person. For example those Russian wooden clocks of the 19th century:"

Russian wooden mouse 2

Such Russian clocks were produced by the Bronnikov family from Russia. For three generations they mastered their skills on crafting light-weight fully functional wooden pocket clocks. Such gadgets were true hit back then, among their customers there were Russian Tzars and other high society members. They were sending their samples to the international exhibitions of Paris and New York to make foreign people awe. The price of such wooden clocks exceeded of those of gold. Not many of those survived Russian revolution and communist reign. Those who did are a rare guest of antique shops priced at around $20,000 for each.

Russian wooden mouse 4

Of course, in 21st century, Russian people don't use hand knives to carve the computer accessory. This is being done by a high-precision computer controlled machinery. Though some think, the product can loose its hand-made feel because of that, the production speed still is a key factor nowadays which prevails on other arguments

The footage shows how it is actually being carved from a solid wood block.

28 Responses to “Russian Wooden Gadgets”

1. Mr. Pakistan says:

• OMG Russians are so poor that they still have to use wooden thingies instead of chinese plastic ones, that’s a real shame for Russia. Russians with their wooden thingies are stuck in the past.

• lol says:

Russians love things made out of wood!

• Yuriy says:

compare to americans, russian still know how to make real stuff not like amercians – everything made in China:-)

• Wannabe woodworker says:

Why bother with plastic when you can have wood? It’s so nice to touch, especially after it gets polished from use. Plus it smells much better, both brand-new and in the unlucky event of burning, which is certainly not the case with plastic…

2. Mr. Pakistan says:

Do not ‘do it’ with mother Russia, or else you are going to get a wooden nuclear missile up your A S S.

3. bca says:

Where could I buy such a mouse?

4. w says:

Oh the wonders of CNC

5. Ash says:

Wow, these are fantastic! I really love how that wooden pocketwatch looks!

It would be much better for the environment if people started using better materials, instead of cheaply produced throwaway plastics. Plastic does not biodegrade, it only photodegrades into smaller and smaller molecular bits of plastic which wreck havoc on animals, plants, and humans. And we wonder why things like the Great Pacific Garbage Patch happen – it’s cause of our disposable society!

6. repoman says:

The way this is designed the little slit through the top of the mouse and around it allow you to engage the button below through the resistance of the wood, much like your plastic mouse does with a spring.

7. wee says:

Really this cool watch product and this blog is very luxury and cool

8. [...] English Russia’s exibe uma série de aparelhos em madeira, mostrando que o simples é mais [...]

9. AlestRukov says:

To purchase this mouse welcome to my blog alestrukov.livejournal.com

10. somewun says:

i luv rusha

11. Dado says:

Good work from Russia! Gretings!

12. cool says:

Excellent, great work! Hand made in best way! I would like to use that mouse also instead of cheapy China version or
    if mouse is made recycled plastic; then i would like to use that also! Great site!Thank you :)

13. [...] wallpaper to computers to make them more archaic. Making otherwise mundane things of of cogs or wood is one [...]

14. I’ve done the cleanse 5 or 6 times by now. Before my first one I studied the book and listened to the CD so that I would be prepared. I always review before I do another cleanse.

The book answers all my questions, especially about symptoms. I may not have all the symptoms each time I do the cleanse, but I recognize them when they come up.

Thank you for doing such a comprehensive job on the book. It makes the experience easier for me – and it’s easier each time I do it.

Wendy Weber, The Singing Network Marketer

15. i wouldn’t say i am new to this topic, but your post has given me more knowledge. greatly appreciate it :)

16. [...] See more of English Russia: nbspnbspRussian Wooden Phone nbspnbspOld Russian Luxury Houses nbspnbspRussian Wooden Gadgets [...]

17. roy miles says:

the wooden pocket watch does anybody have plans or patterns please reply would like to try my skills an try to make one