28 It’s Better Now

It’s Better Now

Posted on April 22, 2009 by

Russian bridge

This bridge needed repairs badly. The joints between the sections were not joining nicely and were damaging tires of passing by cars. Well, they repaired it. From the first site it looks like they did a good job – covered all the joints with thick metal sheets. But let’s look closer…

Russian bridge 2

Russian bridge 3

28 Responses to “It’s Better Now”

1. zipp says:

First!!!!!!!!!!!!!

2. Mr Obama says:

Looks like you need a committee there to solve the problem of the studs sticking out of the plate steel. I’ll send over a advance party for discussions on this matter, then we can do a study.

I figure sometime by 2014 we can purchase a grinder from the local Harbor Freight for a cost analysis, studies and environmental impact survey. If it passes, we could have it too you by 2020 or so, and I am sure a skilled worker could grind down those studs in just a few minutes.

Mr Obama.

• Chelovek says:

You forgot the 40% to 70% cost overruns and the union labor that will require 6 people to arrange logistics and rent the machinery, 4 men to collect the machinery, and 8 men to operate the grinder plus a union steward to supervise the entire operation.

3. brian t says:

Plus: by BOLTING the two halves of the bridge together, they are endangering the rest of the bridge! Those are EXPANSION JOINTS, they are there for a reason: to allow the bridge deck segments to expand when it gets hot.

The thermal expansion builds up a lot of stress in the materials, and if that stress is not relieved by movement at those joints, it will be relieved … somewhere else, who knows where? Like, in the concrete support beams. I do not believe that any civil engineer signed off on that change – or that’s an engineer who should lose his or her license to practice.

4. YJ says:

In Russia your car doesn’t breaks the road the road breaks your car.

5. YJ says:

I guess the repair is an improvement than before, imagine how bad it would be in unrepaired condition.

6. Adan says:

А на Савеле на мосту вообще лист железа просто положили сверху.
    Идешь под мостом, а оно сверху – ТЫДЫЩ!!!!
    Кстати, очень похоже что этот самый лист и приварили. Завтра зайду посмотрю.

I don’t want to write on bloody english, sorry, mate.

7. Mr. Pakistan says:

Do not ‘do it’ with mother Russia, or else there will be holes in your tires.

8. Zemlyane says:

erm they dont collapse all the time, they have never

9. w says:

OMG that should peel off in about 2 weeks and go thru some babushka window.

10. Mr. Pakistan says:

And one problem is trying to fix the other

11. Bijdehans says:

In defense of the Russian “engineers” who thought of this solution, the first and only time I saw this kind of road repairs was when I visited Manhattan in New York City. There I saw many of these steel plates with even bigger bolts on busy intersections with large numbers of cars and heavy trucks not even bothering anymore to avoid them…

12. vitalik says:

Except Russia has much bigger problems

13. SSSR says:

The new russian girls photo trend page has some interesting comments that Nina and Julia do not like!

Would anyone like to add to it?

14. Cuban : D says:

oh, sorry boy that I couldn´t write the perfect english you like, I thought that it would be enought if somebody understand me even if it wasn´t a perfect english.

Don´t call me mestizo, spanish killed every single indian in cuba, and there are no black people in my family, in fact we tend to be racists, not to hate blacks, just discriminate them a lot even if we have a black friend. or is it that for being born in latin america I have now brown skin and a bone in my head? look, latin america is not just dominica and guatemala, ok, there are white people in this area, cultural diversity, and good people (depending where you go); and judging for the comment you made, many of them have more brain than you.

Did you understand? or should I have to write it in a perfect english so it can fit in that tiny brain you have?

15. ectatomma says:

That joints are for allow the bridge to contract and expand due to variations in temperature, if it are fixed in that way -not allowing it movement- it is very likely to have cracks that could produce an structural failure.

16. are you kidding says:

that thin steel plate will warp if there is any contraction of the span because only that portion is fused .It would take a complete fuse on each side of the sub footing and the span to produce a buckle in the super structural itself .
    Physics is so much fun .

17. [...] Gun – Full Instruction nbspnbspNews From Russian Roads – Part 10 nbspnbspIt’s Better NownbspnbspHow to Make a Rubberbot nbspnbspThe Manipulator For Graphical Information nbspnbspFrom Toys [...]

18. [...] Gun – Full Instruction nbspnbspNews From Russian Roads – Part 10 nbspnbspIt’s Better NownbspnbspHow to Make a Rubberbot nbspnbspThe Manipulator For Graphical Information nbspnbspFrom Toys [...]