68 Another Trip to Kadikchan

Another Trip to Kadikchan

Posted on April 7, 2009 by

Russian dead town - stays abandoned

Second trip to Kadikchan town - lost city of Russia. On the first photo is how it looked like when it was not abandoned yet.

Russian dead town - stays abandoned 1

Russian dead town - stays abandoned 2

68 Responses to “Another Trip to Kadikchan”

1. angella Ahmadinejad says:

suffer in your jocks yet again

the chick in the pin up (at picture 34?) looks like Brittany spears.

I miss the USSR

the world needs another bad guy.

2. Kirov says:

Thought it was Astrakhan, but our Lenin looks better. So it must be other Russian city. Needs some paint !!

3. Finik says:

pic 19, looks like Audi dealership, but somehow I doubt that

4. Disturbed28BR says:

Why abandoned? What happend?

• minime says:

I’d like to know it too. why is this city abandoned?

• LiraNuna says:

This industrial city is located in Magadan region (oblast) which is in the far eastern location in Russian Federation. Magadan is one of the least populous districts, only 182,000 inhabitants in area of 461,400 km².

After the collapse of USSR (actually few years before that) many heavy industrial government backed companies collapsed because of a lack of institutional support and investment. Magadan regions economy is centred on mining especially gold, silver and other non-ferrous metals. When people found themself un-employed there was no reason anymore to stay in some towns.

One of these towns is Kadychan.

5. happy_north_american says:

photo #48, the book on the right with the blue lettering for the title – can you translate the title? it looks like a science fiction novel.

6. w says:

More picks from the far east please!

7. FB says:

Probably the best translation is “ghost town”.

8. Unknown says:

Pretty place. <3 Thanks for sharing.

MORE IMAGES LIKE THIS TOWN PLEASE! THANK YOU!

9. Laurente says:

Excellent shots. Thank nnm for feeding on the eyes.

10. KYX says:

It seems like I’ve seen some of these pics before in an older post — I guess maybe it was the same town?
    Does anyone know approximately how many “ghost towns” there are now in the Russian Federation? It seems like there are many posts with pics from them, but I don’t have a sense of the true size of the phenomenon.

11. Mr Obama says:

Kadykchan was a industrial tin mining town. When the economy collapsed in the early 90s the government was not able to support the place. Winter time temps dip down to -70 or so. There was a “accident” that destroyed the towns central boiler, knocking out hot water and heat for everyone. Most people left inside of two weeks, with some but not much government help. The world bank loaned money that amounted to about 2000 grand to each person to buy a flat elsewhere in Russia. Of course even in that time period it was about impossible to buy a flat for that due to inflation.

12. Johnny says:

Reminds me a lot of Припять, but then it could also be City 17 from Half-Life 2 computer game. Very strange, but in some way beautiful pictures!

13. scot says:

Wow.. that is a bit spooky. Good pics – and thanks for the explanations LiraNuna & Mr Obama…

Can anyone say what the graffiti on the door and the pic above says?

14. Ugly American says:

I was thinking Half-Life too but Johnny beat me to it.

Are there any Russian films like Mad Max?

15. Duxa says:

The stuff on the doors says “Dont enter, or Ill kill you”
    and “If you enter you will be accountable for everything”

16. Bogdan of Australia says:

A postcard from a “worker’s paradise” indeed…

17. These are very sad pictures.
    I wonder if there was maybe one or two people left who could not leave, and who suffered terribly all alone.

18. rebecca says:

I love this site. I love these pics, so haunting. There was a photo of a beautiful, old house deep in the forest. Now I can’t find it. could u put a search function on here or where on the site are the pics of the abandoned old houses?

19. Charlie Brown says:

According to Wikipedia (dutch and russian version), the town is still not completely deserted. In 2007 there were 287, in 2008 256 people still living there. I wonder how, considering what I see on these photos…
    There is also a website of Kadykchan at http://kadykchan.ru

20. [...] Bibliography 1. Another Trip to Kadikchan (image collection) 2. Kadykchan – phantom city (image collection) 3. Wikipedia [...]

21. Mico says:

Great site, great photos, great udiscovered Russia!

22. Bex says:

Thank you for this site – the images are beautiful and haunting and will stay with me for a long while…

23. Jason says:

Looks like the town from the sniper extraction mission in COD4. Must be soul-crushingly depressing to actually live there!

24. Olka says:

перемены зависят от нас – это правда, но город призрак все-таки это очень страшно…

25. BonnieBarko says:

eerie. looks like a skeleton left in the hills…

26. Ernest says:

the city in cod4’s sniper mission was pripyat in the ukraine thats an amazing place in my opinion, i would love to go there someday.

27. jorigo says:

Great pics, I wish to give a visit but it’s so far away from where I live, thanks.

28. IOB says:

“Whoever does not miss the Soviet Union has no heart. Whoever wants it back has
    no brain.”
    -Vladimir Putin

29. Marek Jama says:

This place could very well be used for some kind of art colony. To invite various artists from around the world to make something on the topic of “site specific” art.

30. Santanu Panigrahi says:

I feel very sad that such a beautiful city has been abandoned as a Ghost city. It can be preserved as a city of joy for the future generation and to promote tourism. So that coming generation will learn to preserve the nature to save the World from such more distaster.Russian glory has faded after disintegration. But Russia will regain its previous strength very soon. Lets hope for the best. Long leave Indo-Russian friendship.
    Santanu

31. andrew2000 says:

is this the town they filmed part of full metal jacket in?

32. Tom says:

Surprisingly, those ‘Full Metal Jacket’ scenes were filmed in an abandoned industrial slum in London. But these pictures reminded me of that part of the film as well.

33. ziyah says:

does anyone have recent update on this place and how to get there

34. Debbie says:

I notice in Picture #19 that there are Olympic Rings on top of the building. Was the city involved in some part of a winter olympics?

35. [...] A trip to the lost Russian city of Kadikchan [...]

36. [...] apreciamos en las fotografías de este post, la ciudad de Kadykchan no es un lugar de visita recomendada ni mucho menos. Se trata de una ciudad [...]

37. dez says:

does anyone know if traveling and photographing this place for an extended period might be dangerous ?
    I am a photojournalist from Australia, and was considering going to Kadykchan to take pictures around the town.
    My equipment is expensive and i thought as many people are poor, would I become a target ?
    To those who’ve been there: would you consider it dangerous in any way ?

appreciated
    derek

38. darab says:

russian fallout

39. Masha says:

I don’t think this city can become a tourist center. However, I think it can be used for filming post-apocalyptic movies, like “The road”, or other science fiction. Yes, they could come from all over the world for filming, because this is the biggest abandoned area in the world, unique of its kind. In this case, destruction will serve for creation.

40. Adonis says:

Not the biggest abandoned area in the world. Check out Famagusta/Varosha in the occupied Cyprus.

41. perrero says:

Super shots! Did u took those photographic films from the picture above? What were shoot in them? I am very curios about those, so, thank you in advance for your replay.

42. [...] Kadikchan town is the lost city of Russia.  It was mostly abandoned after the fall of the Soviet Union and in 2008 reported 375 inhabitants.  I can’t imagine living here. [...]

43. nightkraawler says:

they can use it for training soldiers or cops though I have no idea how long it takes to get there…must have sucked for all those people to leave …

44. Petr z Tábora (CZ) says:

Když jsem viděl ty fotografie, tak na mě přišel tak nějak smutek ale i vzpomínka na dřívější dobu. Někdy si říkám, jestli dřív nebylo lépe…

45. [...] Edificios abandonados en Kadykchan. Imágenes de English Russia. [...]

46. ustafa says:

seems to be a great metaphor for Russia itself….a dead idea from an evil empire….the fate is the same for the whole country

47. says:

HAHA Fallout 3!!!

48. Johan says:

I love these kind of pictures. But it would be very interresting to see them compared with pictures from when the town was “alive”

49. Kamarov says:

Hi, i´m a spanish photographer and i´ll interesting in information about how i can make a trip to this city and if a need a license of any tipe from the russian autorithies to enter in this city or if was an a travel agency that take care of the journey.

Thanks for all.

50. rita says:

you know all that writing on the wall?, well i know what it says cos i speak russian. its sad to see russia like that.

51. Lai-Lai says:

1994 huh? It’s amazing how fast things go to pot without a mop & duster.

52. ibcbet says:

this is the old town? no one wanna fix it ? cool

53. Sprmcandy says:

Too bad.

54. Emil says:

Dzięki za te wspaniale zdjęcia. Tęsknię za ZSSR.
    Wszystkiego najlepszego Rosjo!!!

55. Alex says:

Amazing set of photos. Thanks for sharing. I like the strong contrast between the dead town and the surrounding forest which seems to go on forever.