53 Russian Black Comics

Russian Black Comics

Posted on March 27, 2009 by

Russian comics in black

For some reason some Russian illustrators draw comics of people in black color. Black color is not associated with the color of the skin or race in Russia, so it’s just black.

For now, here is a series of such black comics, kind of bit weird. Translations included.
The one above is “My pussies could have whiskas instead whiskey!”

Russian comics in black 2

“Son, don’t throw away the empty bottle, I would bring it to recycle point for spare money”

Russian comics in black 3

“Tourist: Is that true that the Earth is round?
Men: We don’t know, son, we are not locals.”

53 Responses to “Russian Black Comics”

1. Metalfusion says:

Nice “Black humor”

• Bruce Willis (AAAH) says:

Lots of humour is international but I don’t get the gossip columist and the ambulance ones

• Domo says:

I didn’t get the ambulance, too.
        About the columnist – it’s a word play:
        светская хроника — society column, chronicle.
        but хроник is like a “chronic patient”.
        So it’s a “Society patient”.

• Miss India says:

OMG Russians jokes are not funny, its not even in the same zip code as funny :(

• Michael says:

not chronical patient but actually this slang word “hronic” means chronic alcoholic

and “svetskaya hronica” – gossip column in a newspaper or jounal – chronical about “the world”, the upper circles of society

So this man is “wordly” or “high-society” acloholic

• Mr UK says:

A bit like you then.

• Motya says:

The translations are a bit off, I could probly give the exact translation, even though it wouldnt rhyme, but im too lazy to do that… :)

2. Po says:

I can explain.

Svetsky = here it means high-society
    Khronik = in general it’s russian for a reporter (columnist), but in particular it’s for a person, who has strong weakness for alcohol (also, it has several another meanings)
    So, you see a person wearing smoking and related to high-society, and getting dead drunk. This is a caricature of russian criminal businessmen, which had made a lot of dirty money in the period from 1992 to 1998 and after that did nothing except drinking and exposing theirs illusive high-society belonging.

And as for this ambulance thing. You see, this doctor has absolutely no legs! Can you imagine now the speed of this ambulance? Of course this caricature related to 90’s. But honestly, I have to say that even nowadays we have some problems with ambulance service in Russia.

3. Gingernut says:

Oh please, What “high” society” ? Moscow is filled with posers with new money who want to join Mikhail Prokhorov’s “Snob” club but they barely know how to use 2 ply toilet paper!!!

4. Fasfa says:

The two cola ones, those I don’t understand.

• Domo says:

They’re both related to the once popular soft drink (Hershey Cola), which has got absolutely everybody sick of their advertisements in the 90’s. So it’s a word play with “Hershey” in both cartoons.

5. Pacific NW says:

There’s some classsy lines in there, “take this thing out of me”.

• Domo says:

That one is mistranslated, but it does get funnier than before!

The correct translation would be “Take this weariness off me” (like in “A strong cup of tea takes off the weariness”).

6. Administrator says:

I don’t remember no Hershey cola

7. Jason says:

These comics must be from the soviet days.

I saw many comics in full color like scooby doo in russia!

I am sure their comics copy america’s,just like the russian version of married with children which is named happy together!

8. hooey says:

>“Truckful of pitchforks and you are the winner!”

I bet no one understood this, too.

The guy who drawn these cartoons made it in the 90s, and often referred to the TV ads of the time.

“Truckful of pitchforks” is actually “Vagon vil”, which sounds like “Wagon Wheel”, a popular candy.

My favourite picture of this guy is when two alcoholics give a glass of vodka to a third one, saying “You may be not a real man, but you must at least smell like one” (мужчиной можешь ты не быть, но пахнуть так, как он, обязан).

9. alter says:

Jason, not soviet days, it was Perestroyka period.
    unfortunately translation is incorrect and i cannot give u
    full picture

10. Vasya Pupkin says:

The “Truckful of pitchforks” one is a play on the “Wagon Wheels” commercial that said “Wagon Wheel – and you are the winner!” (vagon vil means truckful of pitchforks in Russian).

11. Tryams says:

They just parody some ad slogans. Obviosly, they are not funny if you didn’t see these ads.

“My pussies could have whiskas instead whiskey!” IS INCORRECT. The correct translation is “My pussies would like to buy some whiskey” (“My pussies would like to buy some whiskas” was a rhymed slogan in the Rissian version of Whiskas ad, that seriously annoyed people at the time, because imported “Whiskas” was more expensive than most of “human” food).

12. Yegorij says:

not “chronic patient” but “chronic druncard”

13. alter says:

Jason
    u speak russian?!

• Jason says:

Da, nim noga-a little

I am learning it from my wife and disks.I learned how to say hi in 5 minutes.It was much longer to say hello in russian.

The words are said in a different order in russian and english.And russian could be gender specific.

I now know some things my wife and step daughter talked about in russia.

• Jason says:

The top line is for the english readers of this site.

Da,nim noga-Yes,a little.

• alter says:

I noticed that)))
          Where are u from?!

• Jason says:

USA.

I know how to write some words in russian like Россия and my name Джейсон.On the internet I use a translator like the comment below.My wife changes the setting to cyrillic and she types in russian with the keyboard I purchased in russia.

I think english is a second language in russia.My step daughter was learning how to read and write english in school in russia.

Are you from russia alter?

• alter says:

yes, Jason, moscow city
              no, I dont think english is the second,
              it’s necessary just to business person…
              I remember myself starting english studing with help of
              Muzzy tv lessons))

I didnt catch – where u meet your wife, in Rus or US?
              Are there any people in US who still ask you about bears on the streets in Russia?!

14. w says:

Lost in translation…

15. SantaCluster says:

translation of this jokes in not right way! if you are not “born in USSR” then too hard to understand this jokes

16. rayotter says:

Geez, same things,, AK47’s and Booze, ya got to love them Ruski’s

17. Jason says:

Да немного, я изучаю это от своей жены и дисков. Я узнал, как сказать привет через 5 минут. Это было намного более длинно, чтобы сказать привет на русском языке. Слова сказаны в различном заказе на русском и английском языке. И русский язык мог быть определенным полом. Я теперь знаю некоторые вещи, о которых говорили моя жена и дочь шага в России. английские русские чтения могут прочитать русский язык на английском языке?

18. brbrbr says:

nice posters, weak translation[this hard work, especially for humor].

19. tt says:

theese pics are caricatures, not comics

20. S-ed says:

“Take this thing out of me!”
    Better:
    “Take away this ‘fatigue'” (cure weakness).

21. Baton says:

Да конечно перевод слабый или надо отбирать тот юмор который не так привязан к языку

22. OKCAHA says:

Yup the translations suck

23. the_lovingod says:

There are a lot of words play that you didn’t translate correctly. Used automatic translation tool, heh?

For example, “Truckful of pitchforks” is “Wagon Wheels” (“wheels” sounds like “weely” – pitchforks)

24. [...] English Russia points out that in Russia, it’s not uncommon for people in cartoons to be black; not Black [...]

25. Vladimir says:

It’s so funny to watch you trying to understand russian words play. LOL

26. Jasper says:

It should be mentioned here that the idea of ‘black’ in Russian DOES have meaning. Although it has not traditionally referred to what Americans mean when they say ‘blacks,’ it DID refer to chechens, some peoples in upper Mongolia, and other areas considered ‘backwater’ or whose people were considered lesser than ‘pure’ Russians. Thus, the idea of black does have meaning, but it is not generally applied to blacks as Americans are used to. It still does have some racial overtones, however, depending on who it refers to.

27. PKS says:

Almost all of these are black humor mockups of well-known TV ads and their slogans (“Whiskas”, “Hershi-Cola”, “Wagon Wheels” etc).

28. sobot2 says:

lost a lot of jokes because of word games that do not translate

29. David says:

Literally, lost in translation. I mean the humor.

30. [...] Begging Cat nbspnbspSecrets of McDonald’s Beef nbspnbspArctic Is In TroublenbspnbspRussian Black Comics nbspnbspBank Collector’s Crash nbspnbspThe Invisible MannbspnbspRussian Orthodox Christian [...]

31. [...] Begging Cat nbspnbspSecrets of McDonald’s Beef nbspnbspArctic Is In TroublenbspnbspRussian Black Comics nbspnbspBank Collector’s Crash nbspnbspThe Invisible MannbspnbspRussian Orthodox Christian [...]

32. [...] nbspnbspStrange Soviet Buildings nbspnbspDirt ResortnbspnbspThe Seven Sisters Project nbspnbspRussian Black Comics nbspnbspSunny Vacations in Sochi (the Black Sea)nbspnbspArtificial Skiing in Moscow nbspnbspRussian [...]