41 Car with Surprise

Car with Surprise

Posted on March 16, 2009 by

Audi from Russia 1

This car was bought by a Russian guy via an online ad, just a common thing. It’s price was around $13,000. Here is the screenshot of the ad. Then after the car was purchased the new owenr noticed that one of the speakers in the car was not working so he decided to fix it, so he dismantled the door to see what’s the matter with the speaker and found a bunch of photos there together with a letter. The photos and the text you can see below:

Audi in Russia 2

“Dear friend,
Thanks for buying my car. Just some time before I sold it I got into an accident driving this car. Don’t worry I am ok and the car was insured. So I’ve got the money from insurance company then went to scrap metal site and found everything I needed. Bit from there bit from everywhere and I’ve got all things I needed (see photos). Then I welded everything into one piece. And here it is, almost like new.
I remember that people were complaining – “What a pity that my car is so sporty but not red!” – you shouldn’t complain anymore as you can see the driver’s door is red from inside.”

Audi from Russia 2

41 Responses to “Car with Surprise”

1. RuSSiaNThuG says:

indians are stinky

2. chewbie says:

I don’t understand fully what happens here. Do they build that audi from scratch or from used parts?

can you arrange the papers to say that it’s an audi if it didn’t come from the official factory?

replies are much appreciated

• Chelovek says:

They rebuilt it from used Audi parts. It would be *much* less durable and valuable than a car that had not been rebuilt in this manner.

It’s like gluing the pieces of a broken vase back together.

• Jonset says:

Actually, if done well it’s very strong indeed. Stronger than the original if you let in new metal properly instead of doing a weaker butt joint.

It’s not uncommon to fit new half-chassis to Land Rovers and Jeeps, which is a perfectly safe practice. Since this is a monocoque body it’s more difficult but still safe.

This is coming from a fairly experienced welder by the way.

• Carl says:

I had the misfortune of buying a 1998 Nissan Maxima that had been welded back together – but I never had a problem with the car. It was the rock steady V6 jewel of an engine that mattered.. I’d be much more concerned about inspecting a rebuilt engine.

3. Dobra Dyen says:

It’s not just in Russia. It’s everywhere. When it comes to buying a car… “Caveat Emptor” Let the buyer beware.

4. Amerikanyetz says:

Time to call your buddy Dr. Kalashnikov.

5. Anarchia says:

Next news will be:Dead man found with welder in his head.

6. w says:

1) Buy wreck for few hundred rubles

2) Steal someones identical pride and joy

3) Make hashed monster out of 2 cars

4) Sell for large profit :D

7. error says:

This was typical on poland too !!! About 5 years ago most polish wants car , they don’t have enough money so they buy crushed car in german , france and benelux , They made the same of this fotos …

• CZenda says:

True, but I think the Polish authorities somehow dealt with this problem – I remember there were LINES of Polish trucks moving the trashed cars from D and (later) F through CZ around 2000, but it does not happen anymore.
      Anyway, buying a used car is always a lottery… I think the best way to avoid a nasty surprise is to stick to one brand and learn as much as you can about the strong/weak points of individual models from the enthusiast forums.
      /////
      :-D

8. Rodriguez says:

Also you could meet a lot of cars like this one in Latvia or Litva. ^0^

9. KBR says:

Nothing special, but love the picture in the door :)

10. [...] smlld bil? Inga problem English Russia Car with Surprise [...]

11. Benito says:

But, dont all that work cost a lot of money?

12. Roger says:

This kind of operation is called a “cut and shut” in English. It is a common operation for cars that are severely damaged on one end only, and doesn’t necessarily result in a weakened car — provided the welding job is done very skilfully. However as it is nearly impossible for the buyer to tell the difference between a good welding job and a bad one, no-one would ever pay a good price for a cut-and-shut job (unless he was being ripped off!)

A more likely problem is that front and back running gear will be permanently misaligned, resulting in increased tyre wear, vibration at speed, and steering that doesn’t self-centre. In very bad cases the doors may not seal properly when shut. This can be avoided by a workshop that is fully equipped with the necessary laser-sighted alignment jigs, but when the car is welded back together sitting on the garage floor, as appears to be the case here, it is pretty well impossible to get it straight.

13. [...] previous existence. I guess this is why in America, we have Salvage titles. Straight from English Russia, here’s the translated letter, and check out the unbelievable photos after the [...]

14. Paviljonas says:

i think this car was made in lithuania, in Marjampole city, in lithuania our “specialists” buy junk from europe and making good looking cars for selling in Russia and other post-sovietic countrys. P.S. sory for bad english. (but that junk is better thn american car)

15. Test Dummy says:

“Very safe.” I would not like to be inside this
    creation once it gets crashed again…
    Same goes for those foam cars! >:(

Web is full of official crash tests, and those are new
    cars. Computer designed structures, special
    steel etc. It’s big jolt even for factory-new real car.
    Think about this creation then…

So, buckle up, good luck and goodbye!! :)
    See you on the other side, somewhere over the rainbow.

16. Helga from Finland says:

what is a car? we dont have them

17. Chris says:

ROFL!!!

18. [...] entidades de México- BCN extenderá a 500 centros públicos la red ‘wi-fi’ gratuita- Sorpresita en tu Audi de segunda mano [ENG]- Fotografían el terror a la muerte de unas grullas- Acuerdo entre Portugal y España para crear el [...]

19. Volli says:

TO: 2009-03-17 19:22:12

That’s almost true for all cars coming from Latvia or Lithuania for sale. It’s not rare to see these cars in Estonia.

20. Wow! This is a funny experience. Too bad you haven’t got the best value for your money. This would serve as a good lesson for everyone here. Check your car doors for pictures before buying. ;). LOved reading this post bro. Thanks for sharing it.

21. Ars longa, vita brevis….

22. Percocet. says:

Percocet….

Pharmacokinetics of percocet. Buy tylox percocet. Percocet. Buy percocet online. Generic percocet….

23. Buy doxycycline without a prescription….

Buy doxycycline. Buy doxycycline without prescription. Buy doxycycline online….

24. [...] And Finally the Link English Russia Car with Surprise [...]

25. Some people think that car insurance is a waste of money but it is really very essential that you have one.”;;

26. [...] know, up until the next crash when your head is 20 yards from the rest of your body. Most extreme example. Reply With Quote + Reply to [...]

27. Schedule says:

Best you should make changes to the post subject title English Russia » Car with Surprise to something more catching for your subject you write. I loved the post yet.

28. David Levy says:

I would call this Russian style recycling :) I didn’t know Audi made a hatch back I think it might be a Honda civic.

29. atoz.pk says:

now all the ppl are doing this stuff but now to this extent.
    I would call this Russian style recycling

30. [...] That can definitely be repaired. take a look at this Car with Surprise | English Russia [...]

31. Arther Fonzerelli says:

I will make love to all the beautiful Russian women who own wrecked cars !

32. Nicole says:

This known in the UK as a “cut and shut”. Such cars are famous for being unroadworthy deathtraps. Could this be why there are so many road accidents in Russia?