40 Toys, 24×7

Toys, 24×7

Posted on February 12, 2009 by

Russian toys sold to train passengers

In this small Russian town some people earn their leaving by selling the soft toys day and night to the passengers of passing though trains.

Russian toys sold to train passengers 2

Russian toys sold to train passengers 3

40 Responses to “Toys, 24×7”

1. maxD says:

Just what you need when traveling long distance by train – a soft fluffy panda-bear to rest your head on !

2. The Ottoman says:

You see it on the photos: Soft toys are in the arms of beautiful women, they have won their hearts. It cannot be THAT difficult if such a dumb soft toy can accomplish that.

3. Miss India says:

OMG poor Russians have to resort to selling toys on the street to feed their poor family. A sight unseen in the west since the 1960’s. Poverty has turned Russia in to a unique country where you can revisit great depresession era life in real time. May God Bless them :(

4. brbrbr says:

Miss India simply blind.
    quite usual practice.
    even in US[except big cities, maybe, but not all]

5. jaybeecity says:

Theres nothing sad about it, ive been to lots of different places around the world including london and sydney and theres always some one with junk for sale, its just another way to make a living.

6. brbrbr says:

people just try to survive. i respect that. and you do too or we beat you, until you understand – people not toys.
    even if toys – tools for survival, in their hand.

7. Coolio says:

I like Russians, they love my music.

8. Mixas says:

They are getting paid at their factory probably with those toys – so they are trying to convert this stuff into real money. I’ve seen somewhere people standing on the road selling mufflers – brand new – dozens of people…

9. brbrbr says:

but you right – its a shame – starving people in so rich country as Russia.
    and situations improves veeeery slow :/

10. Gerry says:

It’s a matter of the failure to understand the ‘market system’. IE. find a wholesaler, then later a better one, or one outside your regean or country. And yes, Miss India is a carbunkle on the ass of humanity.

11. Belarus says:

Is this Russia? Don’t think so.
    It is Zhlobin, Belarus. Halfway from Minsk to Ukraine.
    City has a soft toy factory – employees can get toys half price.

P.S. Trucks on a platform are Minsk made MAZes

• jk says:

Also maybe when company has cash flow problems, it simply give its products to employees instead of wages. I think that was common in many exSoviet countries in 1990s.

• TTEEE says:

No you’re wrong here.
      The place is Sukhinichi, a town in Kaluga region that has a big transit railway station – and a toy factory too.
      One of the stops on the way from Kiev to Moscow, and I know the place too well to mistake it for a different location.

• Belarus says:

Taking my words back. Zhlobin does not have electric rail road as pictured here. It is not Zhlobin on pictures. However electric cord above rail road is the only difference -).

12. Starshii says:

I know this station! And I have even actually brought a russian winnie pooh from these vendors.

13. Blake says:

This is seen in the russian movie MARS.
    It’s a very good movie.Worth watching.

14. Authorized1 says:

It is common in the ex-ussr, that some cities are “specialized” on a particular product – like soft toys in this case, and those products are normally also sold at the train stations (by ex-workers or current workers – no idea) at ex-works prices or like that, but in any case cheaper that it would cost in a shop. So if you are travelling, for example, from Moscow to Kiev – you’ll pass dozens of such cities, and have a chance to buy kind of everything :-)

15. Peter Bogaert says:

I know this station too…I think it’s Zhlobin in Belarus. I was there a couple of years ago, and was offered many a critter as well, some bigger than their carriers!

16. scot says:

Thanks for the explanation everyone.

I knew that certain cities specialised in certain products – but I thought that almost all of them had gone bust since 1990.

I’d like to move to the city that makes fun. I would rather have that than a “russian winnie the pooh”.

I would then sell fun at the station. that would be a good job because, as we all know, fun costs a lot of money….

scot

• Starshii says:

I think in certain situations “russian winnie the pooh” can be fun too. And nobody really wants to live in these cities. To pass them by and take some photoes yes, to live in them – NO!

17. Johnny says:

So poor people, is it Yeltsin’s fault?

18. Gerry says:

I remember a station platform, almost midway between Kiev and Dnepropetrovsk, in Ukraine, was like soft toy market under sky. I thought some toy factory was around but seems in many places people make a living selling toys to passengers.

19. Denny says:

it’s called HUSTLE. These people do it to feed their families. In US you do it to become rich. There is your difference in the two countries.

20. jason says:

I sincerely dislike the negative comments that some people post here. I remember being a young man here in America and someone asked where I got my shirt from. I answered “My mother made it for me”. They laughed at me. I don’t know what to think about that. Maybe they didn’t have moms.

21. tk2 says:

ah that’s what we missed by taking the stolichny express from moskva to kyiv ….

22. Nothing bad in past says:

Let enjoy the “fruit” of freedom of expression.where are my old lovely “Dictatorial” “Centralised” “Party directed” and “Suffocated” days.

23. 李钦 says:

在中国火车站也有许多这样的小贩

24. 李钦 says:

I mean that there are also many vendors such like this

25. Thank for this. i love this post.

26. [...] Museum nbspnbspRussian Aircraft Museum by NightnbspnbspAncient Volcano in Moscow, Russia nbspnbspToys, 24×7 nbspnbspBack To The Kalashnikov [...]