70 Ain’t no Russian City

Ain’t no Russian City

Posted on November 26, 2008 by

Russians in Toronto 1

It's ain't no city somewhere in the middle Russia, it's Toronto. An instant impulse caused by some sport's win of the Russian team caused hundreds of ex Russian people getting all over the city. They had had the flags ready and handy in their cars and just a few seconds were needed to make a big crowd. It can happen to your city too! Nobody knows how much of the Russian flags stored around you.

Russians in Toronto 2

Russians in Toronto 3

70 Responses to “Ain’t no Russian City”

1. tall_thomas says:

hey ehehe :)… bet it was when Russia became hockey world champions… (think it was in june somethin like that…)

2. karabas says:

first!!!

3. Jack says:

Don’t you see the blue red & white on the police cars?

Those aren’t Russian flags, it is obviously some sort of community/police friendship/appreciation parade.

4. billy oh says:

why though? did they win a game or something? hockey?

5. Belarus says:

World hockey championship 2008? Canada-Russia 5-4 (OT)?
    Wish I was there.

• Mikola says:

Dude this was not Hockey championship:) It was the game against the Dutch in the Euro Cup 2008 this summer:)
      Toronto is known for this kinda parties though.

6. moltar says:

This was after the football match between Russia and Holland.

7. gdg says:

someday i hear in Russia “Russia for Russians” what about Canada for Canadians??
    ajAJajAJAJjaJA

8. ULU says:

its for futbol

9. Ngern says:

10. Andy from Indy says:

All these are brain amputee.
    I always think: “What the hell these degenerates are doing here, in the US or Canada? Why they don’t move back to this country when their lovely colonel Putin is waiting of them?…”

11. Andy from Indy says:

“Comment by Ngern
    2008-11-27 03:21:18
    Russia population is declined because many of them migrate to other countries? seems that Russian is everywhere?”
    —————–
    No, buddy.
    The Soviets are everywhere…
    They are NOT Russian, they definitely are Soviets.
    There is special human species: “Homo Sovieticus”.
    Did you know about it?

12. Rodriguez says:

What`s happened? What`s the holiday???
    I guess it was when Russia win the second place at the Football Championshiop in Germany this summer. (At the last pic – Toyota with German flag).

13. Simon says:

I like the fact that even the police cars are sporting the (colours of the) Russian flag. :)

14. BK says:

It’s snowing here in Toronto so I guess it was the summer Olympics?

“Little Moscow”
    I bought my flight ticket to Moscow 2 years ago in that area.

As for the police cars, I guess they were there just in case of things… (look at the 2 guys on top of the bus stop :p)

15. Leha says:

European Football Championship. Russia-Netherlands 3:1.
    It was a perfect game. Holland was a favorite.

16. erin says:

something like this happened in detroit a year or so ago when albania won something (football match maybe?) and it was quite a spectacle. traffic jams, zillions of flags and cheering, police baffled by the impromptu parade and all us clueless westerner civilians agog. neat, though.

17. HighDuke says:

It was after Russia defeated Holland in the second round of the Euro Championship (football). I was there.

18. Vadim P. says:

I was there (didn’t seem to make it into any of the photos unfortunately). It was during the soccer season this summer – I think when russia defeated netherlands.

19. Leo Petr says:

I walked through that last year at Bathurst and Steeles. It was for soccer.

Stuff like this is common practice in Toronto, though. The Portuguese and Brazilians do it on Dundas, the Italians do it on College, the Jamaicans do it on Eglinton, and so on.

P.S. Please don’t sully the proud name “Leon” with your provincial idiocy, previous poster.

20. T says:

This was Russia V Netherlands in the Eurocup. I had to have my ‘entrance ceremony’ if i drove into the russia are, by a flag being draped over my car.

21. Jason says:

Since the soviet union fell and the iron curtain parted the population of russia has decreased because of the mail order bride services.Russia is everywhere.

22. bezdomny says:

“Emergency, Emergency! Everybody to get from street!”

23. stop crying says:

stop crying kozlik.

24. Zoltan says:

The ironic part is that those apartment buildings behind them look pretty Soviet-inspired.

25. Космополитэн says:

i wish i could beat you up

26. Ivan says:

I WAS THERE! I LIVE THERE! YOU CAN SEE MY FRIENDS BUT NOT ME!

27. you says:

Izzit englishcanada.com?

28. w says:

Swap russians for samoans and football for church and you have New Zealand

29. your name here says:

You’re all wrong. They were celebrating the victory of the Mexican soccer team.

30. anaon says:

I recognize some people from the photos, had a house party didn’t go that night.

B&S for life.

31. Ngern says:

Does the Hamburger crises affects the Russian Economy?

32. Vitaliy says:

My friend, you don’t know Toronto.

These photos are from the Euro 2008 soccer match. You should see it to believe it, but everyone has flags on their cars. Even though I’m Ukrainian, I had a German flag on my car because I really wanted them to win.

This is a photo of when the Spanish won the Euro Cup.

and this is when Italy won.

People in Toronto are very multicultural…

33. Bruce Willis says:

Des O’Connor would have taken it in his stride. Possibly producing other baby.
    Respect to Des…

34. olek says:

wow that Bora in pic 4 has a big IC, must be pretty fast

35. Nikitn says:

Do you dare to say this in the face of a Russian? He would beat you up, our girls would spit on you.

36. Andrei says:

I know where that is! Bathurst and Steeles, there’s a large Russian community there. I remember when this was in the news haaha.

37. Ivan Mikhailov says:

Andy from Indy, have you ever seen St. Patrick’s Day in Moscow? :) Worth seeing.
    Relax, that’s not more than a footbal :)

If you want to imprison somebody, go to UNO office — they have enough flags at front.

38. marvin =)) says:

russia is the way to go

39. Belarus says:

I always have criticized Russians for not being polite. For swearing and insulting other people where they shouldn’t. This is actually big difference in a Russian and American culture. But what you’ve just said shows more Russian in you than American. Welcome to the club!

40. illlich says:

Artistically speaking, I liked the Soviet flag better.

Plus it put real fear into the hearts of westerners.

41. alex says:

YE I think a lot of people think that that too!

42. Boris says:

Слетелись как мухи на навоз и комментируют. То им гопы везде, то национализм Сайт для долбаёбов!

43. Boris Abramov says:

“онглийский”? :)

Господин Oнгличанин, русского происхождения, скажите, пожалуйста, сколько надо времени провести Ивану в Онглии, чтобы стать Джоном?

It would seem, one can take Ivan out of the village, but taking the village out of Ivan, is a very difficult task indeed. Moreover, much of what you say, seem to reinforce that view.

44. Gerry says:

[Hardly unique Russki behavior. Back in the late 70s (?), I was in Toronto when some Italian and German soccer teams played off. So one of them (can't remember which) won. Cars everywhere with flags, all kinds of misbehaviour, I though it quite gastly (fights broke out). Bunch of Wankers. Nothing changes. Similar outcoms in the States. Most intense sports fans are aboriginal barbarians, and usually drunk on something. Creeps of the world unite, eh? Geebus! G]

45. Gerry says:

[JUst5 to make sure you understand, after 30 seconds most of your commenters try again, and who should blame them. English/Russia is an interesting site that is so slooooooooooooooooooow that it hurts. If you get my meaning, Uriy, Oleg, or whatever your name is. G]

46. Дмитрий says:

OK. You say they create traffic jams, they make too much noise and they throw rubbish on the street. I can agree with that – it can be irritating. But I still don’t understand what does it have to do with any nationality? I’m Russian and I don’t throw rubbish on the streets and I don’t drink litres of vodka. Actually I don’t drink at all. And many many Russians are very decent people.
    And you offend the whole nation with your words, which is not really “tolerant” and “civilized”. I think you’re just a grumbler.

• Дмитрий says:

I’m a bit more optimistic about the percentage but in general I have to agree with you. And I don’t even know what the reason is. Maybe that’s because after the revolution in 1917 lots of truly noble and intelligent people had to leave the country while some others were allowed to where they should have never been allowed. Or maybe that’s because of something else. I don’t really know. But this spoiled reputation of Russian people in the world really hurts me.

47. AquaOrange says:

hey, even the marking/striping on the local police cars resemble to russian flag!

48. igor larionov says:

I was at this event lol people got drunk and blocked the road as seen in the picture is was awsome

49. YJ says:

This is what the street going to look like when the Russians invade the West.

50. vozrast30 says:

Thanks for taking a few of us.

51. Cigarettes says:

Russia is forever… in my heart and everywhere

52. Canadian says:

These photographs are great, it’s a Toronto custom. Besides; Russians, Ukrainians helped found Canada and build it. What’s the threat? They take pride in their nationality, so does everyone. They keep their neighbourhood safe and clean, it’s a free country. One of our greatest Governor-Generals Ray Hnatyshyn was Ukrainian for instance. I imagine he’s contributed to Canada more than anyone posting here.

53. [...] Fish Market nbspnbspBentley in snownbspnbspCorpse in the Trunk nbspnbspShips of Vladivostok nbspnbspAin’t no Russian CitynbspnbspVladivostok road repair flashmob nbspnbspRussian Northern Cars nbspnbspRussian from [...]

54. [...] Fish Market nbspnbspBentley in snownbspnbspCorpse in the Trunk nbspnbspShips of Vladivostok nbspnbspAin’t no Russian CitynbspnbspVladivostok road repair flashmob nbspnbspRussian Northern Cars nbspnbspRussian from [...]

55. Bobstlt says:

lol, even the police are celebrating look at the police car in the bottom right of the last picture it’s perfect