14 Soapy River

Soapy River

Posted on April 22, 2008 by

soap in the river near St. Petersburg, Russia 1

Probably many of you have seen the recent commercial stunt SONY corporation used in California using lot of soapy bubbles on the streets of the city.
Well, this small Russian river near St. Petersburg got its own version of soapy mania. No ads were involved and the reasons for many miles of foam coming to the nearest villages stays unclear. On the last photo you see Russian emergency service trying to fight the foam invasion in Leningrad Oblast.

soap in the river near St. Petersburg, Russia 2

soap in the river near St. Petersburg, Russia 3

14 Responses to “Soapy River”

1. Cmalkep says:

All we need now is some stay-awake pills and a german techno DJ.

2. a a says:

news story claimed it was a shampoo factory dumping

3. Mahmoud Ahmadinejad says:

So much sudsy foam makes me think of one of my favorite relaxation and sexual enhancement activities whenever I visit Russia–taking a bubble bath! After a stimulating night at the disco, it is a perfect way to end the evening.

4. Hungry from Hungary says:

Poor thing. I wouldn’t be a fish in that river..

5. too muchvodka says:

Stinkin’ Igor says: “you must wash yourself, you dirty dog.” I go to Diksi and rob all soap and washing powder then put it in river to wash myself. Now all foam is floating everywhere around and I am stll dirty.

6. Kosman says:

Hitler’s work, I suspect!

7. Mr Potato says:

It’s the Siberian giant that blew his load.

8. Swede says:

It reminds me of the shooting of the movie Stalker, by Tarkovsky. It may not be so wise to touch chemicals which you don’t know.

We were shooting near Tallinn in the area around the small river Pirita with a half-functioning hydroelectric station. Up the river was a chemical plant and it poured out poisonous liquids downstream. There is even this shot in Stalker: snow falling in the summer and white foam floating down the river. In fact it was some horrible poison. Many women in our crew got allergic reactions on their faces. Tarkovsky died from cancer of the right bronchial tube. And Tolya Solonitsyn too. That it was all connected to the location shooting for Stalker became clear to me when Larissa Tarkovskaya died from the same illness in Paris.

9. [...] Az, hogy a Rába habzik, az hülyeség. Ez a kis orosz folyócska Szentpétervár mellett…  na ez habzik! [...]

10. [...] of the city. Well, this small Russian river near St. Petersburg got its own version of soapy maniaread more | digg [...]