34 An Old Mine in Siberia

An Old Mine in Siberia

Posted on February 13, 2008 by

Old Russian mine 1

This guy got inside an abandoned mine in Siberia, the place where probably not one but a few generations of political prisoners worked hard their way to freedom deep inside frozen land of Russian North. He got some cool photos back from there!

Old Russian mine 2

Old Russian mine 3

34 Responses to “An Old Mine in Siberia”

1. Fettbert says:

first! yay look cool

2. Ibigoo says:

Amazing and beautiful

3. United States says:

Mahmoud Ahmadinejad,

We are sending you these sex toys to use on your gay friends. Don’t forget to send us some oil back!

Bye,
    America.

4. John from Kansas says:

Incredible!

5. Bruce Willis says:

Might use it as a set in one of the future Die Hards

6. vladimir fickdusiemir says:

Awesome.

7. Citrom says:

Did I just saw a few frozen bats on the ceiling? lol

8. illlich says:

These photos will make an appropriate wallpaper for my computer at my dreary job.

9. Chicken says:

These are great pics, are those BATS? :O

10. Texas1 says:

Ahmadinejad i want you

11. brian says:

were there any dead bodies

12. Viperman the American says:

Dude! where is the Russian chicks? We want Russian chicks!! forget the frozen stuff!! I want women!

13. snuggles says:

I agree.

14. Ortodox says:

Is this Batman’s gold mine?Spooky…

15. Louise says:

Yes, amazing and beautiful shots. But I would have wanted to get out of there as soon as possible because the roof is going to collapse imminently.

And if there are any structures or people on the ground above these mines they are going to be lost in a giant sinkhole.

And to think that there must be dozens of these abandoned mines rotting away all across Siberia…

If there is a Higher Power, I hope he or she showed mercy to the thousands of people who have dies working in such circumstances all over the world…

• j from wpg says:

“the roof is going to collapse”
      – maybe. the surrounding rock may also be stable. over time the rock will flake off and fill the tunnel. lightly tapping the ceiling of an abandoned mine will tell you whether it’s safe. if the roof in front of you – unless you have a death wish never tap directly over your head – sounds hollow, the rock is “loose”. a hard bang is often enough to bring the loose rock down.

“above these mines they are going to be lost in a giant sinkhole”
      – Butte, MT has 3500-10000 miles of tunnels under it but is considered safe (see http://www.miningmuseum.org/faq.html), although killer sinkholes did occur when the area was being actively mined.

“there must be dozens of these abandoned mines rotting away all across Siberia”
      – North America has thousands or tens of thousands of old mines. I remember going camping in the permafrost zone of northern Manitoba. when you needed ice to cool your beer you just needed to canoe to the nearest old gold mine and chip off enough ice from outside the mouth. all mines eventually fill with water. in the permafrost zone the water will turn to ice; over time the ice will expand out of the mouth of the mine.

“…the thousands of people who have dies working in such circumstances all over the world”
      – my mother called her village in Ireland the “graveyard of Butte”. after the local copper mines were played out in the mid-nineteenth century, the young went from there to mining towns in the USA. many of the men who weren’t killed underground went back home in ill health and soon died. in contrast, the women often lived into their eighties or nineties. even with today’s advances in equipment, mining is still a dangerous occupation.

16. Greg says:

Amazing pictures! Thank you very much for posting them I really liked them.

17. iaUlitko says:

Какой же тут нациналистический срачь идёт ))

А фотки зачёдные ,красотища да и только

18. Riton de Paname says:

Stallonneeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee !
    ou est tu bordel ?

19. Riton de Paname says:

Stalloneeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee ou est tu pass ?

Rpond ! bordel.

20. Bill says:

Looks like the gate to hell!

21. Serr says:

The author has placed new photos!

22. Frank says:

Once again great post. You seem to have a good understanding of these themes.When I entering your blog,I felt this . Come on and keep writting your blog will be more attractive. To Your Success!

23. fleece vest says:

Hi, thank you so a great deal for these ideas!…

24. @admin: I must say your website is the first I’ve come across this morning that doesn’t have typos every other sentence. Thank you for taking the time to write something that doesn’t look like a 5th grader wrote. I apologize, just had to vent.

25. Jim Motherfucker says: