35 The Moving Museums

The Moving Museums

Posted on December 27, 2007 by

subway train in Moscow looking like museum 1

We've mentioned already those special trains in Moscow subway. Here are some more detailed photos. Those trains are like moving museums with paintings of some famous Russian artists set up on the walls of the cars instead of windows so people everyday can meet some art on their way home.

subway train in Moscow looking like museum 2

subway train in Moscow looking like museum 3

35 Responses to “The Moving Museums”

1. John from Kansas says:

Very nice.

2. Very nice indeed. Would be defaced if here in the UK after 1 day.

3. snuggles says:

I agree.

4. Visitor says:

Very nice.

5. valiant says:

Indeed very beautiful…

• juliaba says:

no..I used to go in this train couple of times..they only circulate on one metro line and only out of rush hours..in the evenings..when there are not so many people..

6. The Shuttle Train interiors in New York City have the same decorations, unfortunately the pictures are only advertisements. I prefer the Russian idea featuring artwork instead. ^_^

7. Richard S. says:

Speaking of art, I think the Moscow Stations are a work of art. other metros such as New York or Toronto’s look like giant bathrooms. Here are a couple of photos I have taken in the Moscow Metro…

This is the most beautiful station in my opinion…

Here is another…

• Boris Abramov says:

Yes, Moscow metro is certainly very beautiful. But the budget for maintenance is still rather small. Shame really, it could look so much better.

Thank you for sharing these delightful pictures with us, Richard.

• John from Kansas says:

Nice pictures Richard, thanks.

• dsfbs says:

That is disgusting! A metro station should be represented with modern concrete, glass and steel elements, architecture that articulates the movements and business of a such public spaces, not by false ugly wedding cake architecture

• juliaba says:

well..it is your opinion on what the metro should look like..we prefer another type of architecture..we also have modern stations..but those built in the last century is something to admire!

• Taupey says:

Thank You Richard! These subways are absolutely beautiful!

Do you really feel that Toronto’s subways is as bad as New York’s?

I don’t remember the subways in Toronto clearly.

Me and my cousin Victoria had been drinking and she decided she wanted to go ride the subway because she had never ridden one before.

So down we went to ride it in the middle of the night. I vaguely remember what it all looked like.

After that, all I remember was everything spinning and praying to God.

If it’s as bad as you say, maybe it was a good thing to be so drink after all.

8. commonman092 says:

Yes it is very nice, you’d never see anything like this anywhere else in the world. In other words ‘A very cultured way to commute to work’.

Richard S. I agree that station is the most beautiful one, but as the stations were meant to be grand and luxurious, if you look at your average New York subway station, and compare to your average Moscow subway station, the Moscow station is much more luxurious.

Once again, very nice pictures, I wish someone will bring that idea to trains and train stations outside of Russia.

• sjef says:

Stalin felt that the grandness of the CCCP should be visible everywhere – so he started having these stations constructed and extraordinarily decorated. Ver beautiful indeed and impressive still. Too bad many died. Forced laborers were building a great deal of these.

9. Richard S. says:

The lady in the first picture looks like she is standing on one leg… it’s an illusion.

10. Richard S. says:

I have some train and track photos. I will drop them when appropriate.

11. Greg says:

Very nice. Too bad they will never have any thing as nice in the USA as some punk kid would try to deface it or steal it…

12. John from Kansas says:

Different photos.

13. John from Kansas says:

A reply to comment.

14. mr. fit says:

I wonder if anyone ever says “excuse me, I’d like to look at the next painting please”

15. Igor says:

ездил я в этом поезде

16. Poul says:

I do not like the subway, it is terrible.
    Just like the Moscow theatre!

17. Poul says:

I do not like the subway, it is terrible!
    Just like the Moscow theatre!

18. [...] los trenes. Lejos de allí, el metro de Moscú ha puesto en marcha una iniciativa que consiste en llenar los vagones de obras de arte. Han pintado los vagones por fuera y han colocado cuadros en los interiores de las ventanas, en [...]

19. Stinky13 says:

Let me explain the cycle of selling widgets. ,