79 Not a Fish

Not a Fish

Posted on December 26, 2007 by

strange russian food 1

This Russian family from Ekaterinburg city wanted to have some fish dinner. They opened their fish tins, put the contents of them into the plates and then the girl said: "Hey mommy, it's not a fish!".

It's not a fish for sure.

strange russian food 2

And the video:

79 Responses to “Not a Fish”

1. Visitor says:

Lucky for the canning company this didn’t happen in the US, where a possible scenario would be:

The person who opens the can sees $$ before her eyes, pretends to be shocked, horrified, ill, etc. as a result of the “critter” in the can. Then she gets an attorney, who sues the canning company for several million dollars, due to the infliction of emotional distress on his client.

2. Can someone translate for those of us with less than perfect Russian speaking abilities? What on earth IS that critter??

3. adagio1723 says:

oh please this is obviously not russia, its ukrane, and the whole video is photoshoped. they try to confuse people by photoshoping and saying its sverdlovsk, when its actually odessa

• Nonsense. Every speaker and the broadcaster are speaking Russian. The screen shows that it comes out of “Ural, Russia.” The speakers are in Ekaterinburg, Russia. The cannery is in St. Petersburg, Russia. The label on the can is written in Russian, not Ukrainian (I am fluent in both). Ukrainian fish canners print their labels in Ukrainian, not Russian–send me five bucks and I’ll send you the label off the can of sardines I just bought in Ternopil, Ukraine.

• Levi Ong says:

For crying out loud, sexy videos and roger kovaciny, have you ever heard of sarcasm? adagio1723 is making a satire of people claiming *pictures* to be photoshopped and altered. The fact that he used “photoshop” on a video means he’s joking.

• adagio1723 says:

thank you levi, i cannot believe that some people take such litteral sence of the things others write on this forum. i mean they should chilax I is just be havin fun!

• Eris says:

LOL! Nice one! :D

4. kroleg says:

thats a sea lice. a type of parasite that lives in fish’s mouth and feeds on what’s fish is eating. harmless, consider it to be a type of a lobster :)

5. addd says:

It is russia! they speak russian…

6. Wooshkaboom says:

Saduria entomon – “kilkki” in Finnish, and, judging by the video, also “kilkki” in Russian…

However, it doesn’t LIVE in the mouths of fish, it mainly just roams around the sea bottom looking for small animals or dead fish to eat. Some fishes do eat them though, so one might find them inside those fishes.

7. chris says:

according to an online translator, the package says

hope that helps

8. Randy Shackleford says:

This is obviously of alien origin and I suspect its only a baby and will grow much larger and mutate numerous times before it becomes really ugly and starts laying its eggs inside humans which then become a living,walking food supply for them. If these are so numerous they are even in the canned foods then they must be everywhere. Do not touch it and certainly do not eat it.

9. snuggles says:

I agree.

10. Mr. Humpjeans says:

It’s not sea lice. It’s called a “tongue-biter”.

11. Ruggy says:

Now you know the reason one rarely sees unbreaded fish and unbreaded chicken in America.

Sometimes the breading isn’t thick enough, as seen here:

Fried Chicken Head

12. kam says:

in soviet russian, tuna eats you.

13. bleh says:

First of all, it isn’t russia, it’s ukraine.

14. Spike says:

just eat it and see what happens…

15. Aleksander Astapkov says:

What the hell is that?

16. ana says:

The cool thing about this..I understood the video.

17. ana says:

The cool thing about this..I understood the video clip.

18. Jacobisahottie says:

According to world Bank 30% of Russians are living below poverty line. Russian NGO estimated at 40%

Poverty threshold in Russia is an income of 1000 Roubles a month which is 28 Euros or about $ 40 Which means 42-60 million Russians live with less than 1 Euro or about $ 1 and 25 Cent a day! LOL!

In USA people earning less than $ 20,600 are considered below poverty.
    You can see why most russians want to leave their own country Russia cause its a hell hole!

• maxD says:

Interpretation of figures is an art in itself, as you prove here.

Step out of the frame to see the full picture, dude.

Indeed, in Russia 12% of the population has to live of less than $ 2 p/day, but in the countryside life is still cheap.

In the US there is no such thing anymore as a cheap countryside.

• Texas1 says:

Sorry Max, but you are wrong. In the USA there is a cheap countryside.

In Mexico, the poorest 40% of the population receive about $550 annually. It sounds like Russia has a lot of parity with other 3rd world, developing countries.
        Source: http://wiki.answers.com/Q/What_is_the_average_income_in_mexico

• SecretAgentMan says:

Sorry, Texas1 but YOU are wrong. I live in a very rural area and even though things are “cheap”, anyone who makes less than $20,000 per year is DEFINITELY below the poverty line. That is, unless they get government assistance or live on a diet of ramen noodles and walmart food. But then you’ll just end up dying at age 40, so either way you’re totally screwed.

• Mr.Tinkles says:

ops,wrong reply
      my reply was for “Jacobisahottie”

• Boris Abramov says:

Talking Beaver, you are trying too hard. How is this even relevant? :)

• rafal says:

I saw homeless in Hawaii. They live on a beautiful beach, surfing all day long, smoking grass at night. Usually they have a big car to store their stuff in. They also get some money from state.
      In russian standards they are in paradise.

• Boris Abramov says:

Talking Beaver, I think you are referring to the “Surf” subculture in the 50’s and 60’s :)

• Kostya says:

Wow, you think you are so clever rafal szymanski. I must say that at school you newer comment on me being russian. You sit quetly like a nerd and newer talk about politics or history, well, I guess I am seeing your dark side here.

• Zrk says:

Dont believe that information too rapidly. Most of employers lie about their workers salaries.

19. Here in Ukraine we love those critters . If you dip in in vodka it will taste like chocolate. Byah Comrade!

20. PParker442 says:

Good Yakov Smirnov joke!

21. Mr.Tinkles says:

22. ching says:

my god
    it is …….hehe .I come from china

23. gordon says:

its just a tin of prawns with the wrong label

24. Eris says:

isopod? O.o ipod’s cousin, ISO-approved?

25. Zafarad says:

Yes,their ASSES! ! ! ! ! ! ! !

26. Bangalore says:

its a scorpion

27. Bangalore says:

its a scorpion s next evolution

28. Indian by nature says:

It is our tribes sacred animal

29. Indian by nature says:

send it back to our tribe or else curse will follow them

30. okebon says:

god i love this site.

31. Ruth N. Lemkvich says:

Are you the guy who, for EVERY post on this site, has to immediately claim it’s in Ukraine and not Russia?

Ukrainians and their wounded egos! Ukraine and Russia are brothers and should stop acting like strangers and enemies.

Somebody bring back “Pan-Slavism.”

32. chicken says:

Any thing in a can or tin weird container is never really fisah though is it? They should have got some kettle noodles instead :)

33. mishele says:

I’m confused but laughing so hard. I too love this site, okebon.

34. supercorgi says:

This is a free swimming marine isopod. It is a relative of the pill or sowbugs you may fine in your backyard or the woods. This is about as large as they get in all but antarctic waters. Usually they are close to the bottom of the sea.

35. B.W. says:

Should have bought Kraft Dinner!!!

36. OLUT says:

I have an American friend who, as a child, was given a chicken pot pie for dinner. She came upon a particularly chewy piece of chicken; it wouldn’t break down! Finally she gave up and spit it out.

It wasn’t chicken. It was a band-aid! D:

37. whorku says:

It’s gonna kill uss all!!!

38. Jena Kanas says:

I started smoking while I was a kid. This turned out to be the hugest wrong move I’ve made. Today I am 45 years old and I’ve got lung cancer. When trying to give up smoking cigarettes, I came across the electric cigarettes and i intend to give it a try. With a little luck, it will help me with this bad habit.

39. NeuroManson says:

Mmmm, C’thulu in a can!

40. [...] more of English Russia: nbspnbspA Fish Identifying Tool nbspnbspNot a Fish nbspnbspMarvels Of The Russian [...]

41. RemoveKebab says:

I suggest the canning company puts out a line of these crustaceans for sale, Truth be told they look quite tasty.