34 Russian Soldiers at Winter

Russian Soldiers at Winter

Posted on November 5, 2007 by

Russian soldiers in Russian winter 1

Sometimes Russian soldiers have to serve in severe Russian winter conditions like this.

Russian soldiers in Russian winter 2

Russian soldiers in Russian winter 3

34 Responses to “Russian Soldiers at Winter”

1. Jonny says:

This large amount of snow is i guess all the snow which fell down in my region the last 1000 years :)

2. Sergio says:

FIRST!! my first time FIRST!!

3. Visitor says:

If I read the date correctly, the first photo was taken in May (2004). I assume these guys were pretty far north. ??

By the way, the rabbit in photo 4 also appears in photo 7. :)

4. Visitor says:

This is a little bit off subject, but worth mentioning, I think–

I just followed the link, above, to “World War 2 Photos by Dmitri Bal’termants.” They were posted this summer before I found this forum, so this is the first time I saw them.

I highly recommend them for anyone else interested in military history. They are excellent.

• John from Kansas says:

You might be interested in “Faces Of A Nation: The Rise and Fall Of The Soviet Union, 1917-1991″ by Dmitri Baltermants and Theodore Von Laue. If the library doesn’t have it consider buying it (Amazon has a good buy on them for $20 new). This is a large format book with many great photographs by Baltermants. Von Laue’s text provides a balanced historical view that is free of cold war propaganda.

• Boris Abramov says:

They are certainly very powerful and though provoking images. For some reason I’ve missed that post, thank you for pointing it out.

• Visitor says:

You’re right, they are thought-provoking. I like pictures of soldiers in the “field,” no matter their nationality. It’s interesting to try to read their facial expressions in the context of the situation they are in (such as limited supplies, facing a determined enemy, etc.)

The photos of the advancing soldiers leaping over the trenches gave me a chill. I was in the US military during the last years of the Cold War, and I remember how much we dreaded the idea of facing of a Russian/Soviet charge. No matter how much propaganda passed between the superpowers, one thing we soldiers knew from our study of the Eastern Front–the Soviet soldiers would fight us to the death, either ours or theirs. :)

• Boris Abramov says:

Well if they didn’t they would be shot in the back. I imagine if you were in their place you would do exactly the same, no?

Where did you serve?

5. Feelov says:

Russian winter! It’s our ally!

6. wackyruss says:

I love the pic of the Russian and his Shashlikh.

7. Al says:

I believe these guys are Belorussians, not Russians. There is little difference ethnically but the uniforms look to be Belorussian. I may be wrong.

8. Juan says:

In the snow without a t-shirt!!!!!!!!!!!!???????? Maybe they use smirnoff as a coat…

9. Marina says:

This amount of snow is very normal in the East Siberian parts of Russia. Some village houses are totally berried under snow.

10. Visitor says:

For those of you involved in the discussion of Baltermants’s photos, you may like the first few paragraphs of this October 28, 2007 article by Alex Ross in the Los Angeles Times–

“Tuned to the 20th century–The dissonance of the history’s bloodiest hundred years reverberates in the work of its classical composers.”

On Aug. 9, 1942, during the 900-day siege of Leningrad, a bedraggled orchestra inside the city played Dmitri Shostakovich’s Seventh Symphony, subtitled “Leningrad.”

The Soviet composer had set to work on this massive symphony the previous summer, just after the German assault on Leningrad began. Arturo Toscanini had conducted a high-profile American performance in July 1942 to a huge radio audience; Time magazine pictured the composer on its cover.

The Germans got wind of the Leningrad premiere and planned to disrupt it with artillery fire, but a well-timed Russian counterstrike ensured that the performance took place amid eerie silence. Loudspeakers were set up along the Russian perimeter, and strains of “Leningrad” wafted over no man’s land toward the German positions.

Years later, a former German soldier who was visiting the city told Leningraders that when he and his comrades heard Shostakovich’s adamantine music coming at them, they knew that they would never win the war.

11. your name here says:

i never understood why military’s make their troops wear jungle cammo while serving in arctic climates, you would think they could get an alternate uniform or something.

• Visitor says:

Hopefully they have some “over-whites” lying nearby, or at least when they go out on patrol.

These guys may be a couple of Privates who got in trouble and got put “on detail” by their CO or NCOIC. :)

12. your name here says:

i never understood why military’s make their troops wear jungle cammo while serving in arctic regions, you would think they could get an alternate uniform or something.

13. Wooshkaboom says:

The more amazing thing about this is that the Russian military obviously thinks that someone would actually want to invade that place… I kinda think that 15 feet of snow is a pretty good deterrent for would-be aggressors, even without the soldiers.

14. FIRST says:

We have more snow in Canada. SO WHAT!?!?

15. chicken says:

Such cutey bunny rabbit awww :D

16. Ben Rushing says:

If global warming ever does happen you won’t have enough snow to do this anymore. Oh Russians aren’t fooled by this dumb idea either.

17. Tim says:

I think this guys not so young. Maybe they are sergants, officers or contract-solders. On picture 2 you may see russian flag on unuform.

18. easpr says:

I would so panic down there. Looks too small and creepy.

19. Gurtek singh says:

like the rabbit in the 3 picture………

20. [...] penne altrui. 464 feathers I plucked for you. November 5th 2007 / taken from English Russia – Russian Soldiers at Winter  / it was one of the images and one of the phrases Leave a Reply [...]

21. Peter says:

Most helpful site and information