27 Weird Looking Russian Matryoshkas

Weird Looking Russian Matryoshkas

Posted on September 11, 2007 by

weird looking russian matreshkas 1

As we already told, "matryoshka" has become one of the most famous symbols of the Russian culture through all over the world. It's a traditional Russian wooden toy. Such nesting doll can hold up to about 30 smaller dolls inside, put in each other, from the biggest one up to the smallest. They are usually painted in accordance with Russian tradition. But recently some Russian designers and artists have started to express another views on matryoshkas.

For example, this time Irina Troitskaya, a Moscow illustrator, has converted matryoshkas into some weird creatures.

weird looking russian matreshkas 2

weird looking russian matreshkas 3

27 Responses to “Weird Looking Russian Matryoshkas”

1. Pyotr Velikii says:

How wonderful! What an exquisite idea. Of course, there have been other examples of non-traditional matreshkas, such as political leaders, etc. I remeber seeing a series with Gorbachev’s likeness painted on them. This is a very creative expansion of an original idea, and the fanciful animals depicted are truly interesting.

2. numb says:

I think they are nice, but maybe not as crazy russian art as we are expecting. The badger gave me an idea of mathreska-doll full of badgerbadger-clones :)

• Texas1 says:

Sounds like a Russian style market segmentation strategy or possibly a niche market for your wooden trinkets. You guys going to start embracing modern manufacturing technologies and make these things out of plastic?

• TeratoMarty says:

Badger badger badger badger badger badger badger badger badger badger badger badger MUSHROOM MUSHROOM!

And anyways, these look as much like real animals as traditional matryoshkas look like real people, so chill.

3. You're says:

Mr F-Bomb,

It appears they are different types of animals.

• You're says:

You said:

“What the f-bomb is that? Thats not art. My little 3 year old nephew can paint something better than that. Thats a disgrace to a Russian tradition. They look awful. Like seriously, what the f-bomb is it?”

Twice you asked what they were and I told you. I think your tin-foil hat has slipped down over your eyes.

• You're says:

No I am not a fan of profanity…

Man you need to chill. You are taking things too seriously.

• D says:

Sorry,

I was having a bad day.

• E says:

And arguing on the internet makes you feel better. Wonderful. You know, art isn’t tailor-made to your specific interests. This style of art is called DaDaism *I think* and it depicts childlike innocence. I like these nesting dolls specifically for that.

• Dungeonbrownies says:

3 badgers a mole a cardinal and the largest one is probably either a bear short on nipples or President Bush.

4. Texas1 says:

So nice to see another post about Russia’s second largest export next to mail order brides.

5. AdolphPutin says:

Why don’t we make matryoshka with big boner peckers like playground toy?

6. Texas1 says:

That’s an outright lie! It’s a good thing that your statement is outlandish and unbelievable. Someone’s feeling could get hurt.

7. pliwka says:

They remind me of those strange wooden statues in the Russian playgrounds

8. Salocin.TEN says:

Badger Badger Badger Badger Badger Badger Badger Badger Badger Badger Badger

Mushroom! Mushroom!

9. Rob says:

Please guys do you really need to express yourselves with such profanity, it really is very juvenile. It’s alright to have a bit of fun, but you are just being offensive. Is there no one from this website prepared to delete this stuff?

10. David Levy says:

I want a set but of all the prime ministers.

11. Paige says:

These are absolutely beautiful. I have been looking for some months now for an original set of nesting dolls for my tattoo. I think I have found them. To whomever made these; please marry me.