32 The Drill Bike

The Drill Bike

Posted on September 3, 2007 by

bike powered with drills 1

This Russian guy has powered his kid's bike with the help of two electric hand drills. He says that "the bike with this new engine runs like crazy, though batteries last not to long".

Well what do you think on this?

bike powered with drills 2

via Architect Volkov

32 Responses to “The Drill Bike”

1. Mugremovil says:

Great!! :)

• ollie says:

it pretty obvious that its one drill split in two, or a driver part of one and a battery part of another.

• zafarad says:

• John from Kansas says:

zafarad, the drill probably has a high frequency speed control. Such a control is very efficient and can vary the battery current from zero to maximum output. There is a normal motorcycle throttle on the right hand grip that is conected to the controller. The builder is very resourceful and may well incorporate improvements in battery capacity and safety. If he does, I would like to see the it.

2. numb says:

Good idea if you can find cheap enough batterydrills.. I just wonder what that foremost drill is supposed to do.

3. Chingau Wei says:

I give it 5 minutes before his kid is mangled, what with 2 chains and a kid with jeans on, it’s a disaster waiting to happen.

Cover at least the drive chain and it might be safe enough to ride.

• Chingau Wei says:

I think I still have scars on my leg where my pants got wrapped up in the chain, fed into the sprocket, and sacrificed my skin to the bike gods. Ankle + sharp sprocket = bandaids.

• Aud1073cH says:

This seems much safer than a gasoline/petrol powered bicycle. People in the U.S. and Canada are much too concerned with safety. (and I am in the U.S.)

For this bicycle project I say “have fun” and if anything happens it will be a learning experience, and give the driver more wisdom.

4. zafarad says:

FROM AN INDUSTRIAL GRADE HIGH TORQUE,HIGH SPEED AND 500000rpms.

5. ollie says:

“Mangled? By a wimpy battery drill?”

yeah, umm… u ever used a high torque wimpy battery drill?? could break your arm, or easily trap your fingers/arm between the chain/sprocket. might not make the bike move very well but could certainly hurt you, until the batteries dies of course.

“But how he can regulate the rpm of drill unit?i mean speed of cycle.i think this bike made for high speed shoot out.”

again someone who has never used a drill!!

• Alex says:

you could regulate the speed by using the trigger switch that comes on the drill. That way, you already know it won’t get overloaded. Plus, the switches are easy to push, so a child won’t have a hard time pushing it.

6. adios says:

я не понял,этот ляс сверлит или нет?

7. Troy says:

Wow what a great way to get rid of that pesky son….

8. vokov says:

This is for a Russian kid, not your namby pamby overprotected American type.

9. TheGZeus says:

I’d suggest buying more batteries.

10. missy says:

nice DIY implementation of Las Vegas based DPX Systems drill bike…

2007 National Hardware Show
    The bike is powered by a standard battery powered drill, and will hit 14mph, with a range of two and a half miles. DPX also make winches, wheelchairs, and an amazing “tree-puller”, which will lift a 250lb log or drag a cedar tree out by the roots (note: the cedar tree in question is pathetic, about the size of a bunch of cilantro.)

11. [...] value around here Just imagine the kiddies playing on this one And who could forget the drill bike Attached [...]

12. Bachehomes.com.au focuses on sustainable architecture, natural building, solar energy, ecology, water and forest conservation, recycling and greenhouses.

13. Checkerboard Strangler says:

Bigger batteries are not a problem!

14. I think I tried this a while ago. It brings back good memories. Nothing good seems to happen the first time. How long did it take you? I look forward to your next post.

15. Nile says:

But why not use it to charge the battery?

9-Year-old kids have energy to spare, and can pedal themselves!

16. nobi says:

Have fun, but play it safe. Fun is not everything in life. Where is the fun if anything happens and you lose a leg or your life. Yes, this will be a learning experience, but you are dead.

17. Anna Allen says:

it is really great to become a motorcycle lover, i collect different moyorcycles from different countries.,;*

18. i am a motorcycle fan and i am a collector too. motorcycles are really beautiful and a great mode of transport.;;-

19. my father and i loves to repair motorcycles, repairing motorcycles have been our way of life.~,

20. Let’s go, thanks for the great post

21. riding motorcycles is my hobby and have been my past time ever since a was a teenager*:-