41 Abandoned AZLK Car Factory

Abandoned AZLK Car Factory

Posted on August 30, 2007 by

abandoned azlk automobile factory 1

AZLK is a Soviet automobile factory situated in the South-East of Moscow, which was famous by producing various models of passenger car called Moskvich. In the first decade of the new century the factory was closed. Now one can see how this place looks nowadays. For the almost seven years it turned into ruins that remind the lost city of Chernobyl.

abandoned azlk automobile factory 2

abandoned azlk automobile factory 3

41 Responses to “Abandoned AZLK Car Factory”

• Motya says:

Imagine how many people worked there, how much labor, workforce. Now its all gone, blown to dust by time.

1. Marky says:

Just rust and ruins

2. Peterm says:

Was it closed in the 2000s? It doesn’t make sense. Why so many soviet slogans in the factory? It seems that the factory has been closed for 20 years or so.

• yoda says:

For much of the ’90s AZLK was forced to leave cars half-finished outdoors in all waether for lack of money to pay suppliers for parts. When you can’t finish the product, you don’t have spare cash to redecorate.

3. teKuru says:

Love the post, I am a huge fan of abandoned urban exploration.

4. Hunter says:

This seems amazing that there are that many abandoned buildings still around. With that much equipment around.

5. Amazing. Did someone drop a piano off one of the buildings?

6. illlich says:

I want that sign in the first photo– “Quality work guaranteed”– I pay you for shipping to US. . . or maybe one of the smaller signs.

7. Richard S. says:

Speaking as a real estate appraiser, the property is definitely not at its “highest and best use”.

8. Justin says:

So cool! I would love to visit this place. Isn’t it guarded?

9. Patrick says:

The Nuclear warning information is bone chilling.

10. vadikgg says:

No, this is Moscow car factory

11. Texas1 says:

I think it would cost a fortune if you are also responsible for the cleanup of all of the asbestos. Then again, this is Russia. Who cares about cancer.

• Chingau Wei says:

If steel and copper prices are still outrageous, the cleanup should pay for itself.

Then again Russia isn’t known for cleaning up industrial disasters or old facilities. Just walk away and forget about it.

12. Peterm says:

Near Chernobil, yeah, like Germany XD.

13. Das says:

BTW small part of AZLK was rebuilt and it belongs to Renault-they are producing Logan now.
    Ant this year a new agreement was signed and Renault is expanding its production to this abandoned area %)

14. moomee says:

Why did they have a mother and children room there?

15. Andrus says:

Awesome collection, thanks for the flythrough. Much appreciated!

16. Dalton says:

Muito boa fotos legal

17. Gabriel says:

I love abandoned places. I’d love to take that clock home

18. Yuri says:

it your`s for 1000$, sure if it not much expensive for USA;)

19. [...] years ago, in Soviet Estonia, the Moskvitch car was pretty ubiquitous. Now, the factory that made it lies in ruins in Moscow and its products are little more than industrial junk, slowly fading into history. Occasionally one [...]

20. Narfle says:

Interesting to see these photos…thanks for sharing them with the world!

21. Xpltivdletd says:

More top-grade photography, Grohotailo!

was Photo # 38…

…instructions in case of WW-3, or in case of something more local? I’m only asking which–not to start more would-have/should-have/could-have noise. I actually frequent EnglishRussia for the pictures–not to follow the flame wars. Best regards.

22. Moskvitch-412 says:

Keep your hands away from our signs!

And you, Yuri, what is your last name and adrress?

23. kaiser says:

this looks like the factory Bear Grylls did an episode of man vs wild in…

24. Exceptional site, where did you come up with the info in this piece? Im happy I found it though, ill be checking back soon to see what other articles you have.

25. Having been just browsing for useful blog articles intended for the project research and I happened to stumble upon yours. Thanks for this helpful material!

26. RazPutin says:

Please contact me, I can pick up lots of old Soviet things when I am visit my family in Russia. I will sell any signs or things you want for a good price.

27. Mosque Witch says:

Same situation in USA – most factories in USA are abandoned by their own “patriots” who sent their jobs to China. Regarding this AZLK factory it is really ugly and depressing workplace and now wonder they produced such ugly cars there. A true MOSQUE WITCH. LOL

28. Harry Armitage says:

Amazing and sad. I worked there in the early 70’s, for an English computer company (ICL), where we designed and installed the first computerized production control system based on our ICL System 4 computer (I gave classes in programming (in Russian) to their Russian staff. Where is Sasha Gul’ now?
    And where is Volodya Avdiisky?

• George says:

Hello Harry. I remember that era as today. During 90’s the Armenian mafia grabbed in hands the factory and after that Volodya Avdijsky went to Z I L (heavy truck plant)— I suppose that he on pension now. Also after the full modernisation all the global CAD/CAM systems in the end of 90’s, total new equipment and nets were destroyed and moved to trash polygons. New giant super-modern and fully computerised engine plant (project created with Ricardo consult) was not started and soon disassembled — all its buildings were adapted to Renault. Sad…

29. Hello Harry,
    I was there with you in 1970 – how do we all contact you ?
    Frank Skinner

• Harry Armitage says:

George, thanks for that update. So, are Renault running a plant there now?
      I last saw Volodya and his family in December 1992, when he was still working at AZLK. Lost contact since then. Do you know any of his family?
      By the way, Ricardo consult; was that Ricardo Hitec, with HQ in UK and an office in Luxembourg?