17 The Translator

The Translator

Posted on August 26, 2007 by

Sometimes Russian TV uses also stereotypes of Americans in their comedy shows. This is an extract from popular these day Russian TV show “Comedy Club” about an American who is lost in translation while trying to establish a business in Russia. The interpreter is represented like such a VIP. The Russian guy talks about a new mutual business for earning millions and listen how the interpreter translates..

17 Responses to “The Translator”

1. This is not a Pipe says:

I don’t want to be first. You can’t make me.

2. John from Kansas says:

Of what I could understand this is very funny. I do not understand much Russian language (I have started lessons), but the gestures of the Russian characters helped.

3. I am worried about Pros and Igor. I haven’t heard from them ?for a while, does anyone know their status? I am especially concerned about Igor re:baldy/not-baldy

4. John from Kansas says:

Thanks for the synopsis. You have filled in a few blanks for me. Thank you.

5. Sister Libertine says:

Yeah, I know…. “classy.” If you try to even explain Russian jokes to Americans, you realize how unfunny most of them actually were – even through I thought they were funny when I was a kid. Not that garden-variety American slapstick humor is any better, but you know what I mean. Sometimes, Russian humor was funny. I still think Nu Pogodi was funny, and that New Years film “S Leghkom Parom.” Maybe there is some truly funny stuff out there, but we’re not seeing it.

• fromukrainewithlove says:

Russian humor is just for Russians…..you can’t understand the humor if you don’t have Russian mentality.And forget about translating russian jokes into an other language….Russian language is too complicated to translate it right.

• climbsk8 says:

Just got back from our first trip to Russia … I was sitting in Sheremetyevo airport with my husband and he started watching this slapstick comedy on TV with cops and a poor fisherman. We were both laughing out loud, and my husband doesn’t speak a word of Russian.

So maybe Russian humor is good, and we Americans are just a little slow …

6. Godzilla says:

I agree with maxD, it’s very lame and no class. Russian entertainment industry copies basically everything from the West but when I watch them, they look like a show from Mexico.

P.S. For flamers: I was born and grew up in the USSR, know Russian language and culture very well. Not saying everythig is bad but a lot.

7. Ari The Finn says:

Well I think Russians here are laughing for themselves too, like having problems in understanding/learning english… I suppose.

Anyway it was pretty fun, the ‘Interpreter’ made a nice job with mimics.

I think most important for both nations would be the ability to laugh not only for each other both for themselves too, something the Russians seems to be well capable of.

Well done guys!

8. Washington says:

Comment by Washington
    2007-08-27 06:59:06
    MaxD,

You comments tend to be quite informative, but for some reason they always end up quite negative and pessimistic. And I really want to understand why? Is it because you are a pessimist by nature? Is it because you are going through depression, or having some domestic problems?

Perhaps if you told us all you problem, we could understand you better, or even could help in some way. What’s the matter, buddy? Life is so wonderful. Why can’t you enjoy it while its still here? Come on, don’t be shy, tell me your problem – I won’t judge. If that is too difficult for you, I know a wonderful doctor who has helped many people going through similar problems. Come on MaxD, open up. I just want to help

9. Urgat says:

well anyway it’s much better then Petrosian and Co :)))

10. vadim says:

That scene merely describes Russians who studied English at Soviet schools.
    The manner of the “interpreter’s” speaking is the only knowledge that many Soviet pupils had after finishing school in the 80-90’s.

Perhaps, you should excuse me for my “Soviet” English in this message :)

11. RG says:

Yeah, and all that monkey humor that blacks show on MTV is better.

12. Methotrexate and hcg numbers not going down….

Hcg numbers after methotrexate for gtd. Hyperglycemia from methotrexate. Methotrexate for rheumatoid arthritis. Methotrexate side effects. Hcg levels up after shot of methotrexate. Methotrexate. Methotrexate diet. Methotrexate therapy….