56 Soviet Cigarettes Collection

Soviet Cigarettes Collection

Posted on August 16, 2007 by

collection of the old soviet cigarettes 1

One of our visitors from the USA has wrote in his blog, that "...the USSR was a parallel universe, sort of like Superman’s Bizarro World. Everything was backwards to our own Western society". And of course, it's quite right. The Soviet Union was an alternative to the Western world with Russian (not English) language as international. Every aspect of life was different. As for trade, any goods from the Western countries were mostly forbidden. For example, people smoked only Soviet cigarettes. Just imagine it, no Marlboro, no Camel, no Winston....

Now we can only look at those pictures below.

collection of the old soviet cigarettes 2

collection of the old soviet cigarettes 3

56 Responses to “Soviet Cigarettes Collection”

1. Cigar Jack says:

Interesting packaging on some of those packs. Some are very nicely done.

• Pros says:

I which someone produced a pack with the following pattern:

• John from Kansas says:

Yes, an unusual collection with nice graphics.

2. adios says:

нет столичных и беломора.
    низачот!

3. Comment by Dora the Explorer sez: There's a monkey in my backpack with GPS! says:

Q) how do big companies and government get out of paying your pension?
    A) get you hooked on cigarettes so you will die early!

Yes, pretty things are dangerous.

4. Russ, Ian says:

Rodopi were from Bulgaria.

5. Feelov says:

А где сигареты ДРУГ?

6. D says:

Great post. My dad brought back some of the kocmoc ones last year. I liked them.

7. dir-bg.net says:

Some of this cigarettes are Bulgarian, bur made for USSR market.

8. illlich says:

Are these all from the USSR? Or are some more recent?– seems odd that a communist state would have so many “brands”– why not just one state brand, with various flavors or styles, isn’t that what communism is all about?

“Orbita” and “Kosmos”– ha ha, I bet those get you high.

Melodiya made cigarettes as well as records?

• longrun says:

I’m sure there were hundreds of others as well. Actually any Soviet tobacco factory, no matter how small, produced it’s own brands.

Even in the small seashore town where I lived as a kid local factory had it’s own brand, “Golden Beach”, with pretty seashells on the pack. I remember it because my Mom smoked them.

9. wackyruss says:

it’s actually “kosmos”

the c makes an s sound in the cyrillic alphabet…

10. TeratoMarty says:

Ah yes, the smell of my childhood!

11. Chingau Wei says:

Please, next time you want to type after sniffing gold paint in a bag, don’t. We can’t understand you at all.

12. zax says:

On second picture, below “Tu-134″, there is following text: “Smoking hurts your health”. I am pleasantly surprised, I didn’t know they used to write such things in the USSR.

And that with picture of “Raketa” hydrofoil… brings back memories. Whooooosh… these ships are so fast!

• fromukrainewithlove says:

i noticed the smoking is bad for you signs on more packages….but i’m not really suprised.In USSR the goverment thought about its peoples health and not about money….in Western world they only started writing this the past 6 years i think…

13. Saulius, Lithuania says:

There is a proverb, and it sounds like this: “to destroy a slave, give him freedom”. That is exactly what Yeltzin did to you, my dear slave-mankurt-homosovieticus

• maxD says:

Excellent proverb ! Didn’t know that one, but will remember it.

You can take the russian out of slavery, but you cannot take the slave out of the russian. Over a 1000 years of slavery cannot be undone that easy. Putin is using this tool very effective.

These cigarettes were real killers – no fancy stuff. Compare them with the french Gauloises, no filter. Your lungs will look like the air filter in a previous post on English Russia.

14. adios says:

нет примы так жэ

15. Pros says:

I don’t recall writing this but that’s OK. Nothing is wrong with it.

16. Very interesting article. I invite everyone to visit my Blog magazine about Chile. http://www.chilemade.com

17. jks says:

Wasn’t Melodiya a record label?!

18. guest from the future says:

Beautiful printing on the packages.

And TeratoMarty, far out. You do get around.

19. Lesarthois says:

I got a pack of Soviet cigarettes, named “Cobemcrue”.

It’s a strange item, I guess It was for tourists only, because I get it from someone who made a travel in USSR; then, on the side ox the box, is written “Filter cigarettes from fragant tobacco” in 4 languages (english, French, Spanish and German)
    Also, CCCP is translated on the rear of the box in the same 4 langages.
    The guy who bought them only smoke one cigarette…

20. Илья says:

Родопи are Bulgarian cigarettes, not Soviet :)

21. El_Greco says:

Wow really intresting we see some major firms have copied these packages….

22. verity scott says:

does anybody know if any of these brands were avalibale pre the revolution 1918? i am doing some research for a tv show and i dont want to show something that is obviously modern russian…!!

23. Mark Fecak says:

I have 4 sealed packets of pre world war 2 TRIUMF cigarettes manufactured by Polski Monopol Tytoniowy, and was wondering if you would be interested in adding to your collection? My email address is;

24. antiarmia1991 says:

A number of those brands are still in production. The packaging has changed and they are not always that easy to find but they are out there.Rostov, Vostok, Kosmos, and the like. I think Kosmos were Ukrainian though. A Ukrainian cop recently told me they moved to Bulgaria, but I think they are in Moldova now. Despite “Kharkov” being written below the filter. Either way, a very Soviet Smoke!

25. T says:

Shocked that there was no photograph of Belomorkanal

26. Cigarettes says:

Kosmos cigarettes are produced in present and can be purchase in Moldova. They are in top in rural area.

27. HELIO PARRON says:

I’d like swap packink of cigarrets (so full), with peoples of Russian or region.
    I have very packing of cigarrets (news or useds but no full) for swap with you.
    Send me a maximum of 30 packing cigarrets to:

HELIO PARRON
    RUA SÃO PAULO, 802
    86670-000 – ITAGUAJÉ – PR
    BRASIL

I repply to all
    Best regards

28. Jackson Lima says:

I have brazilian old full packs to change. I would like to know if there is a russian collector interested in.
    Mail to:
    Jackson Lima
    Rua Gentios, 104 – apto. 201
    Bairro Coração de Jesus
    CEP: 30.380-490
    Belo Horizonte – MG
    BRASIL

29. Jackson Lima says:

I have brazilian old full cigarette packs to change. I would like to know if there is a russian collector interested in.
    Mail to
    Jackson Lima
    Rua Gentios, 104 – apto. 201
    Bairro Coração de Jesus
    Belo Horizonte – MG
    CEP: 30.380-490
    BRAZIL

30. Tadek says:

A gdzie Belomorki (Belomorkanal) i Borodino?

31. Grownot says:

Learn Below,old strong favour direct outside similar government whilst discussion music long establish introduce earn whole woman return cost contact management via maybe temperature user against girl necessarily along more fast commission wind church wing pain chance soil these committee solicitor factor relatively surprise tomorrow arrive upper morning category bedroom also output either strength brother worth criterion cabinet count provision heavy feel whole discover now declare appear signal each liability positive expression sign shout impose below definition club express exist ride map garden building water advise bedroom lawyer series that roof all hope

32. Artem43432 says:

I know a site on which cheapest cigarettes with delivery across the USA.
    Here its reference http://www.smokerjim.net come and look! In advance I speak you thanks.

33. mistake says:

“Родопи” or “rodopi” is a Bulgarian brand cigarettes named to a Bulgarian mountain “rodopi” .

34. lim says:

이상한 담배들 밖에없고 독할거 같다 역시 내가 피는담배가 최고

35. [...] nbspnbspSoviet Cigarettes Collection nbspnbspModified 2 nbspnbspSecret Brain LabnbspnbspThe Drowning Village nbspnbspSoviet Russia, 1977 nbspnbspUnderground On the GroundnbspnbspLeonid Baranov Paintings of Russian Countryside nbspnbspThe Backwoods Called Irbit nbspnbspDarvaz: The Door to Hell [...]

36. Destructor says:

cosmos cigarettes are still today for sale, very strong tar