60 Abandoned Trains of the Soviet Era

Abandoned Trains of the Soviet Era

Posted on August 13, 2007 by

abandoned soivet trains in Sukhumi 1

Below one can find the pictures of the locomotive depot in Sukhumi, Abkhazia (the former USSR republic). It seems that time has stopped there since the USSR collapse. Though the depot still functions most of the technics stand abandoned.

Aee also:
Weird Train
Russian Train With Wheels
Self-made Train

abandoned soivet trains in Sukhumi 2

abandoned soivet trains in Sukhumi 3

60 Responses to “Abandoned Trains of the Soviet Era”

1. the_great_below says:

this website gives the impression that everything in Russian is abandoned!

2. Richard S. says:

What about restoring the engines and cars? Is the line re-usable? Is there enough economic demand to restore these lines?

• vadikgg says:

It, probably, not the line, and a place near to depot – and there accumulate old выработовшие a train resource

• grohotailo says:

This line is partially efficient. Many of trains on these the photo, including that rusty electric train in the first photo, are serviceable and transport passengers.

3. Kazik says:

So scary to see these machines just rusting away for the past 20 years. Maybe soviet russia was better than english russia as it is right now…..

• Harris says:

Well Kazik, if you look at the 9th and the 24th pic carefully, the rusted trains were actually made in the 1960’s so they may have been decomissioned way before the collaspe of the USSR.

• Harris says:

Well Kazik, if you look carefully at the 9th and the 24th pic, you will see that they were made in the 1960’s so they may have been decomissioned way before the collaspe of the USSR.btw, why does this site give such a bad image to the russians when it comes to Tech? After all, they were the first to the moon and made aircrafts that brought fear to pesky Capitalist Americans!!!

4. Jay says:

These pictures make me feel quite sad.

• grohotailo says:

Even in spite of the fact that I tried to transfer completely in a photo completely an atmosphere of it depot, all is equal, in alive it is looked much more oppressively. Excuse for spelling.

5. A reader says:

Abkhazia was an autonomous republic within Georgia, not a republic in the USSR.

• Richard S. says:

What is the possibility of Abkhazia being annexed to Russia as a Republic? It seems to be in their best interest to do so. Wasn’t there a similar situation with Tatarstan?

• Texas1 says:

Why do Germans hate everyone from Georgia? I never understood why. It’s like a secret joke or something.

6. I. Forgot says:

So was independence worth it?

7. numb says:

Maybe someone should recommend the cars for Lonely Planets “budget accomodation”

8. adios says:

u nas kak-to v Rossii na chermete stoyal passazhirskiy plackart.vo tam mi s pacanami lazili po nemu,interesno bilo.a escho u nas stoyal poezd-snegoochistitel’,tipa bul’dozer.potom ego kuda to sognali…

9. zsommand says:

I thing this could be a great fortune to russia to base turism on this there are lots of fanatic people like me who love these postapocaliptic things. Dont u have a mape of the bigges abandone comlexes and veichles? I will look them up next time when Im in Russia.

10. zsommand says:

Like Half-Life 2 is based on this world. And its and excelent combo for the game.

11. humanoid says:

Those trains were made in the 1950s and 1960s. They were probably retired when they reached the end of service life, or became uneconomic to operate. Remember that trains must be profitable. They aren’t like antique cars that can be kept as toys.

Having said that, I would like to see some old USSR steam engines. I love old steam trains. There are still some steam locomotives used in China. I saw a picture of one- it was being used for real work, not just for tourism. It was awesome!

There are still a few steam trains in the USA, but they are all museum items. Nobody uses them for serious work. They never travel the county.

• grohotailo says:

Hello. I the author of these photos which have got here without my sanction that is very bad. Well for that people have looked. I to you wish to tell, that the most part of these trains, despite of the old age, works and transports passengers and I am assured, that will work still as much therefore as are very simple in circulation. Steam locomotives in territory of the former USSR can be seen in Ukraine, there they are used in cargo movement. Excuse for spelling errors, I translate by means of electronic translator.

12. Pros says:

I don’t see a big difference in appearance with the regular ‘functional’ trains. Sure these are abandoned and no longer used ?

13. Richard S. says:

Perhaps Abkhazia is bankrupt and cannot afford to operate the trains.

• d.sukhin says:

Abkhaz railway services are abandones with only one exception line, privately operated, that links Sochi (Russia) with Sukhum (Abkhazia). The rail depot depicted would have served that once busy line; indeed, the rail link (and its extension towards Tbilisi) were one of the reasons for the indepencence war…

14. Texas1 says:

They don’t look too comfortable. Seriously, who would ride one of these? A butt could get bruised on those wood seats that don’t even recline.

• d.sukhin says:

Them timber seats were damn comfortable, I tell you!
      Same in Berlin – soon after the German rail replaced the Stadtbahner city trains with new ones, with upholstered seats, the Berliners cried to have their old plywood back.

• grohotailo says:

Our humorist has correctly told, that Americans even on war cannot do without toilets and a toilet paper. And in Russia trains with such seats in the majority. Also we go by them, happens, till four o’clock. And if you have seen toilets of these trains, I assure you, films of horrors to look to you was ceased to want. Welcome to Russia.

15. Texas1 says:

Is that an American can of Pepsi?

16. Richard S. says:

I note the palm trees in the photos and Abkhazia could be turned into a resort area like Sochi. Tourism could thrive in that region and perhaps the abandoned lines, locomotives, passenger coaches and railway buildings could be restored and it could be profitable again. White Pass and Yukon Route (link: http://www.whitepassrailroad.com/) shut down in 1982 because the mines in the Yukon region closed and made the railway unprofitable. It re-opened in 1988 and was used as a tour train from cruise ships. Due to tourism between Skagway and Carcross, the line has become profitable again. Another line that was threatened decades ago was the narrow gauge Rio Grande railroad. It is now used for tourist operations. Russian Railways in Abkhazia could be profitable again if there is tourism in that region. Mr. Abramovich, when can you fix this?

17. Richard S. says:

Are there any standard gauge (4 feet 8.5 Inches) railroads in Russia or the former Soviet Union?

• d.sukhin says:

Not really. Why should they?
      There is a single track from Poland to Kaliningrad Central Station, though, that was re-gauged recently so that to allow tourist trains to pass.

18. Bullwinkle says:

I don’t know where you live but in the US those would have been dismantled and stolen piece by piece to salvage.

19. Kylex says:

Fallout rocks

20. grohotailo says:

Greetings to Everything, I the author of these photos. I ask administration, before accommodation of my photos, to inform me. I the person not harmful, but am angry too I am able. If at whom that is what or questions, ask, I shall try to answer, but with spelling at me a problem since I work through the translator.
    Come on http: // grohotailo.livejournal.com/, there you can find many other photos from Abkhazia, made by me. I hope for mutual understanding and cooperation!

21. [...] nie tylko na dodanie do listy linków, ale na specjalną rekomendację. Choćby za taki, albo taki, albo też taki wpis blog ten zasługuje na dodanie do agregatora newsów i oczekiwanie z wypiekami [...]

22. [...] Soviet era trains left to rot. Tons of pics. English Russia Abandoned Trains of the Soviet Era [...]

23. [...] era trains left to rot. Tons of pics. English Russia Abandoned Trains of the Soviet Era Last edited by M80; 03-06-2009 at 06:10 [...]

24. Steve! says:

where in russia are there palm trees growing? i though that russia was cold!

25. Xpltivdletd says:

Grohotailo:

Good shooting! It is sad to see machines rusting away. They feel nothing, but it is still sad. No matter how good they were or maybe they weren’t, they served.

Here in the eastern parts of the U.S.A., R.R. tracks were removed in many places, for “Rails to trails.” It was a political decision. I think it was a poor decision. The R.R. is a lot more useful to more people than a hiking trail.

26. Honxiz says:

Most of this trains are made in Czech Republic …

• Mr. Anderson says:

almost none
      RVR suburban train (elektrichka) – originally Riga Factory
      electro locomotives – Rostov Factory

only the diesel locomotive looks like it’s from Czechoslovakia

27. cigarettes says:

Train cemetery in two words. :)

28. Jim Hicks says:

IF this rail system nowhere IE didn’t connect with any other railsystem, how in the world did they get those locomotives and all that track and other big stuff out there?

29. [...] trains, although many sites offer up gorgeous pictures of abandoned trains. One post features abandoned trains from the Soviet Era.  Urban75 also hosts a lot of beautiful photos.  These photo sites don’t offer as much [...]

30. [...] trains, although many sites offer up gorgeous pictures of abandoned trains. One post features abandoned trains from the Soviet Era.  Urban75 also hosts a lot of beautiful photos.  These photo sites don’t offer as much [...]