108 Kuntz-Kamera of St. Petersburg

Kuntz-Kamera of St. Petersburg

Posted on June 27, 2007 by

Kuntskamera, St. Petersburg 1

"Kuntzkamera" it's a museum in St. Petersburg. It's a really strange place, was founded by Russian Tsar Peter the First. He collected different weird stuff all over the Russia to this museum: freaky people and animals preserved in alcohol, torture instruments, strange paintings and much more. Here are photos from that place.

Kuntskamera, St. Petersburg 2

Kuntskamera, St. Petersburg 3

108 Responses to “Kuntz-Kamera of St. Petersburg”

1. Starshii says:

If I remember corretly taking pictures in Kunst-Kamera is forbitten, but still…
    The most horrible objects there (and most interesthing/popular too) are malformed embryous swimming in glassjars. I have heard some rumours that in the basement of of museum there is room where they are also adult people who have also been preserved in glass tanks, but I do know if this is true or only city legend. Anyhow I do not recomend visiting this museum if you have hangover…

2. Russ, Ian says:

Nice!!! Those were the days.

3. TexasTriangle says:

wow, im speechless.

4. vera says:

Oh yes, I remember this place – I used to love going there when I was a kid. I was a pretty messed up little girl. =)

5. asdasd says:

lol the monkey-like figure in the 4th picture looks like Bush hahaha anyone else see the resemblance?

6. BUSH says:

hahahah yes it does look like bush

7. Fat Usians Inc says:

Long live the Holy Inquisition!

8. Justin says:

All this medieval torture devices sort of put a different perspective on water boarding.

9. miku says:

Torture stuff is sick. How people can be so cruel to each other…

• Valinus says:

Because torture is amazing.

• Boris Abramov says:

Okkkkk…

• Marius says:

And he starts the paragraph with “no, im not to sick of a person”, yet he goes on to talk about pulling fingernails and filing teeth down to nothing as torture methods. Not sick at all… :|

• hnsk says:

It’s called christianity.

• Lord Byte says:

Meh it’s been proven that most of those implements have been created in the 19th – 20th century for exhibition purposes. People wanted to make money by showing how “barbaric” our ancestors were and tried to outdo eachother in inventing the most ridiculous torture implements that usually were wholly unfeasable and too expensive and complicated to have actually been used.

Not to mention that the best torture methods were usually the simplest, branding, drowning, choking and binding were more than enough…

10. wahidm says:

They have missed the most brutal of all torture devices. A Barry Manilow CD.

11. Thales says:

Jeez, there’s even an iron maiden… good old holy times.

• Thales says:

Wake up, man. This isn’t a music topic. Google for “iron maiden”, avoid the lyrics and maybe you will learn something.

• Jamie says:

An iron maiden is a torture device, in case you were being ignorant.

• Nightcrawler says:

Let me guess you’re one of those Lady Gaga fans… learn history and torture devices and then learn what good music is

12. thinktank says:

Those torture devices are from Torture museum in Prague?

13. comrade says:

“Hostel 3″ in Russia please. :D

The problem is that some torture staff is just a recreation from the XIX and not really from Middle ages, but an invent from that XIX century.

Another problem is that if you read carefully the pictures some mentions the civil council, not any religious organism, even Holy Inquisition. I don’t have mood or time to explain it longer, but some comments are completely wrong.

Regards.

14. Henry says:

The last picture seems to be a “Garrote Vil”, a spanish invention used as an execution method for centuries. See the screw? Well, there went the back of the neck of the prisioner/witch/criminal so the screw was pulled gently and slowly turn after turn into it. The point is that this apparatus was used until the seventies of the 20th century, by state law enforcement agencies.

15. FSWAD says:

That is not normal, espically those wierd ‘Things’ in the jars
    give me nigt mares its freaky wats the go with that

16. BuZZeR says:

OMG! I am so happy, that I am not from the past! :D

17. erika says:

reminds me of the Mutter Museum.

18. Sukhin says:

This photo series is a mix of two museums: the Kunstkammer (too complicated a name to white it properly?), where the first 5 images belong to; and the Torture museum, sitting in the SSt.Peter-and-Paul Fortress (all the remaining images).

The Kunstkammer is one of the few remaining baroque universal museums, with some of the most amazing display jars originating from an earlier Dutch private collection, that Peter the Great obtained in Leiden.

The Torture museum is a new commercial enterprise, like the London Dungeon, etc.

19. Zman says:

please give correct information next time, take some time to READ before you post. These are two different museums that you have here. The torture museum is located in Peter-and-Paul Fortress and is not related in anyway to “Kunstkammer” !

It’s OK to post weird photos from remote regions of Russia and find it hard to check the authencity of them, but when it comes to Musems of St.Petersburg, it only takes some quick search in Google ( assuming you know how to do that :)

20. Jamie says:

I went to a similar museum in south Germany. It was fascinating. Really makes you appreciate what we’ve got now, that hundreds of people aren’t wrongly subjected to these devices any more.

Shame the place I went to didn’t have deformed embryos though!

• Amber says:

“Really makes you appreciate what we’ve got now, that hundreds of people aren’t wrongly subjected to these devices any more”

lol now they’re probably subjected to worse.

• another Amber says:

People are still subjected to unfair treatment and even forms of torture, sure. But worse than being sawed in half? Or many of the other things seen here? I don’t think so!

21. walter e. gonçalves says:

god save our soul

22. jim says:

whoever was killed with these i hope they are experiencing complete bliss in heaven.

23. Dima V says:

I’ve been there when I was a little kid before I left the country. The museum was something of Peter I’s private medical collection (the guy was apparently interested in a bunch of things, and medicine was one of them). By the time you reach the 3rd floor the formaldehyde smell kinda gets to you (that and the sight of all the deformed babies). The place is cool regardless. Too bad no one took a picture of the big heart that Peter requested to be collected off some really tall European guy after the guy’s death.

24. Marius says:

The truly scary part is how many times history has repeated itself in the past. The question is, are we doomed to see these devices in use again in the future? In Iraq, US soldiers are finding these types of torture devices that were still used by the Iraqi regime in these “modern” “enlightened” days.

25. Lasse says:

I saw the instruments of torture at the Peter and Paul fortress this spring but I did not see the rest of the freak show. It was rather disgusting, and normally I’m not very sensitive about that kinda stuff…

26. hide says:

no good!

27. Roma says:

yea i remember some of this stuff its pretty crazy to think that these were actually used

28. Boris Abramov says:

Not my comment.

29. Will USA says:

Yea, the good old days! Those were the days!

Life was so much better back then?

“They just don’t make them like they used to”?

Al-Queada could learn alot from these people!

Just shoot them already! Have some mercy for Christ’s sake!

30. Allan says:

i like the illustrations on what they were used for. some of that just looks like its a complex torture device

31. Vlad says:

Great,I do remember this place in Leningrad.I do missed all museums and “hermitage”,,….

32. [...] Det verkar finnas en hel del udda i St: Petersburg.  Här finns det fler bilder. [...]

33. Dola says:

Soo glad that I’m A muslim

34. [...] English Russia Kuntz-Kamera of St. Petersburg __________________ A fool can twist the grip, but a fool has no idea how to stop or turn. [...]

35. me says:

Is it me, or all the torture part is not from Russia at all. I believe it’s from the Torture Museum in Prague.
    Bat Englishrussia!

36. Infinite Dimentia says:

Makes me think, if these devices were still used on murders, rapists, child molestors etc… would our prisons still be as full?

37. too much vodka says:

They forgot the Inquisition’s soft cushion and armchair as shown by Monty Python.

38. lol says:

lol boris, what a commie name lol

39. altima says:

only six first pictures are from the Kunstkammera, and the rest are from a private exhibition that once took place in another museum of St. Petersburg – Peter and Paul Fortress.

40. Lucy says:

the talent behind the creators of these devices was great. I think we should of kept things like this around. These torture items have been greatly crafted, but society today doesn’t see that. We should remember that these could still be used and, if we break the laws, could be used on us. Just a little something to think about!

41. chrysa says:

The devices to lend a wonderful sense of horror to any judicial proceeding, but there are a couple points everyone is missing. 1) These devices were common practice of the SECULAR judicial systems of the day…just as trial by jury or knowing what you are accused of. 2) RUSSIA IS NOT CATHOLIC. Never has been, Never will be. This is NOT the Inquisition (Catholic or Python).

42. Anton says:

Torture stuff is sick. How people can be so cruel to each other :/ :(

43. meneame.net says:

Kuntzkamera, el museo de los horrores de San Petersburgo [eng/rus]…

El zar Pedro I fundó en San Petersburgo (Rusia) un museo con las cosas, objetos e instrumentos mas espantosos y aberrantes que encontró en su país. En él se pueden encontrar desde animales y personas conservados en alcohol hasta los instrumentos de…

44. 111 says:

oh, so this is where the exhibition i saw last week came from. My stomach wasn’t working properly the whole day after.
    as for the malformed embryos they’re a perfectly usual sight at any medical school.

45. katia says:

i believe mankind should use more their brains instead of using much their hands
    god created man to use their inteligence instead of violence
    but i can see that progress hasnt been done until nowdays
    sad but true torture still exists but unfortunatelly so visible to mens eyes like back then

46. asdasd says:

is this christian culture??

47. Sofia says:

Those torture devices are from Torture museum in Prague…?

48. kellyg says:

I remember seeing a temporary torture exhibit in San Diego. I didn’t eat dinner that night as the risk of throwing up.

49. den says:

This is cool!

50. poornima says:

Oh my god what cruel people……………
    Really bad.
    It’s against the HUMAN rites..

51. Frank says:

Oh thankyou for this. We needed new ideas to use at Guantonmo and Bagram. It is worthwhile to study HISTORY. Come see us soon, The CIA

52. rostit says:

These methods of persuasion are fantastic. Its rare to see such intelligent ideas for obtaining information from people who are acting the fool and not cooperating. Items like these should be used more often in the US. The people of the USA are too soft and too slow. They need to be shaken up a lot and taught that life is a gift and should be treasured. Not squandered on things like American Idol or McDonalds. PATHETIC.

53. Maan says:

horrrrrrribbbblllllllllllllleeee

54. bla says:

…I feel sore just looking at the pictures…

55. OMG says:

Lucy reply 47. good point
    Kind of what I was thinking… the craftman who was tinkering away making this stuff was smart yet I wonder was the blacksmith wasting his talents? I mean seriously the workmanship of pointy objects suck balls when you compare these blades with a samurai sword wares. No wonder neo-russia like afghan heroin so much, the withdrawl is like sickminded torture devices!

56. Dee says:

they have some serious issues

57. Edson Palma says:

Vou escolher umas fotos e mostrar para os meus amigos

58. picklini says:

that is sick.

59. 庞依静 says:

I can not stand, it probably won’t go to see the later. Today is a bit depressed.

60. LilleViMsE says:

Imagine all the suffer and pain… horrible!! disturbing! COLD! iCE COLD!!

I totaly agree with the conclusion of they having some serious, SERIOUS issues.

the cruel terrible evil images speak for themselves..

And my thoughts are with all those who were subjected to such painful and degrading acts.

for thought, if this is Christianity, so I wonder what happened to one of the ten commandments which reads as follows: You shall be towards others as you want them to be against you.
    Just another proof of the world beeing WHAT THE CHRISTIANS CALL HELL.

61. Yoron says:

Yeah, those things stinks don’t they. But torture is torture and it exists today too. If people wasn’t such phuck**g sheep’s, always searching protection from someone, torture would be stopped totally.

But as long as people looks for someone or something to follow instead of stand for themselves this kind of thing will survive. All rulers needs instruments of ‘persuasion’. And the less democratic the more ‘persuasion’ will be needed.

But it should work both ways. In a country using torture I would expect people to rather die than to get into one of those dungeons. if they have any sense that is :)

62. asha says:

is it strange to be turned on a little by all this? even just a little bit??

63. Lothers says:

Humanity should end ASAP!

64. Rob says:

That place is probably cursed…

65. Merlina says:

We have this “torture Museum” in Mexico…

66. hafeez says:

very shameful for humanity

67. Retta Leleux says:

This is a very helpful post, I was looking for this information. Just so you know I found your weblog when I was checking for blogs like mine, so please check out my site sometime and leave me a comment to let me know what you think.

68. Brian says:

Hi All, we have lots of museums like this one all over the UK, there is one down the road called Wawick Castle, that has a good collection of similar devices. Also we still have a lot of villages that have a set of stocks on their village green. In fact there are even a couple of companies that specialise in refubishing these items.

We also have examples of gibbets that are still hanging where they have hung for many years. A gibbet as I am sure you all know is a tight fitting human cage, once someone had died (by torture, hanging) the body was dipped in tar and put into the cage so that it could be displayed in a public place as a deterant.

We also have a couple of examples of hanging stages and beheading blocks.

I would check out Eydon Village Stocks, located in Northamptonshire that is a great example of a set of stocks on a village green that people can freely walk up to and even try out if they feel inclined.

69. all the stuff in the second half of those pictures look like they were taken from a torture museum we were at in estonia last summer…

70. Who thought up these devices in the first place?

71. Heavy museum really shocking to tools that where used to punish people.

72. [...] Supply Fail In Dneprodzerzhinsk nbspnbspKuntz-Kamera of St. Petersburg nbspnbsp130 Year Old Russian WomannbspnbspA Painted Air Condition Set nbspnbspHow Subway Cars Are [...]

73. [...] Supply Fail In Dneprodzerzhinsk nbspnbspKuntz-Kamera of St. Petersburg nbspnbsp130 Year Old Russian WomannbspnbspA Painted Air Condition Set nbspnbspHow Subway Cars Are [...]

74. I can’t imagine those woods of chair very antique many people died just because of that ..sad to say..

75. wisdom says:

The most horrible torture advice is still the black box. The CIA invented it.