23 Soviet Foreigh Police Cars

Soviet Foreigh Police Cars

Posted on June 15, 2007 by

foreign cars in USSR police 1

Before I thought there were no foreign cars during Soviet Era in Russia, especially in police – all were Ladas and Moskvich (Russian car makes) but it seems that there were some. Even American ones.

foreign cars in USSR police 2

foreign cars in USSR police 3

Subscribe to our Facebook, Twitter to stay updated for the new posts. Also we have many more stories to explore below:

More stories:

Click here to read next random post from English Russia

23 Responses to “Soviet Foreigh Police Cars”

1. Pavel says:

Hey how the hell did they get that 1969 Ford Fairlane Station Wagon?

2. Pavel says:

The Fairlane was one of Fords better acomplishments. I almost bought a 69 rachero which has the same front end but a pickup truck back.

3. hate the us says:

“foreigh” ???

You topped yourself with this one. kinda shame, isn’t it? I suggest proofreading before posting…

4. Bert says:

Speaking of foreign cars, it always surprised me that in Tarkovsky’s Stalker, Stalker drives a Land Rover. Maybe because it was filmed in Estonia?

5. no name says:

as far as i remember in Tarkovsky’s Stalker they had a russian car that looked sorta like a land rover

• MisMas says:

I think he was driving an Aro in that movie. That’s a romanian made 4×4 car and that was quite common in the communist block.

• Bert says:

It’s an honest-to-god Land Rover. I checked my DVD and you can see the oval Land Rover emblem on the rear left around 21:08 into the movie (after the group gets into the car and turns a corner).

6. LEVON says:

pretty nice photoshop huh?

7. Ramon says:

Maybe those cars are imported to the former USSR for the small ruling elite of the CPSU. I guess those cops are one of the elites so they did have access to purchase foreign made cars. I also know that the Moscow Police Department in post-Soviet era had or used to have Ford Crown Victoria Police Interceptors for their police fleets.

• Muzzlehatch says:

There was an episode in the US TV reality series “Cops” in the early 90s where they rode along with the Moscow Militia in a Crown Vic and captured a criminal who was driving a white Pontiac TransAm.

8. Jeff says:

That’s not a Fairlane. It’s a full sized Galaxy wagon. The Fairlane was smaller.

9. زد says:

10. Kaszanka says:

I am guessing that some rich people or communist party officials imported these cars for themselves and they got confiscated by the Soviet goverment for unpaid taxes or due to criminal or corruption cases these people lost in court.

11. Dan Erik E. says:

Very interesting to see that they used the BMW E9 saloon also. The M30 ‘big six’ engines in these cars were notorious for their cracked cylinder heads, and I wonder if they had access to spare parts for the BMWs?

Thanks for posting these interesting pictures! :)

-Dan Erik from Norway-

12. Ike says:

I think these could be ex-diplomatic vehicles, either sold by foreign embassies located in Moscow (I bet in those days a western car was highly preferred to local makes, and usually embassies tend to update their fleet quite frequently), or brought back from abroad by Soviet diplomats whe were returning to USSR.

• Mr. X says:

That makes me wonder, then: How did the Soviets manage to get a Federal Signal Beacon Ray light & Pulsator siren for that Galaxie wagon?

13. pj says:

There were some Mercedes W-116 saloons used by Moscow police in the 1980s….380SE i think……..

14. Klassno says:

I’m pretty sure that’s East Berlin, GDR. Could’ve easily smuggled the cars in from the West side.

• Witowt says:

No, plenty of Western and Japanese cars were purchased for various purposes. Those served almost exclusively in Moscow and even included two Porsche 911 Targa open top highway patrol units (it’s said that these cars were originally purchased for testing purposes to improve the Soviet automobile industry).