12 Storm in Birsk

Storm in Birsk

Posted on June 13, 2007 by

storm in Birsk 1

These are photos showing the consequences of the storm wind in town of Birsk in Russia. It’s not tornado or something just very strong wind. The most interesting thing about it that there was nothing about this even in the news of Russian main TV channels, nobody knows about this in the country.

storm in Birsk 2

storm in Birsk 3

12 Responses to “Storm in Birsk”

1. Kylex says:

I hope no victim fell to.

2. maxD says:

Nothing on national TV about this event. Not surprising. Judging from TV, all russians are living in Moscow / St. Petersburg and a few other big cities.

Birsk ? Probably unimportant. Otherwise I would have heard of it… that’s the general attitude of the national media. So nothing changes in the countryside.

3. Chris says:

It definitely looks more like Florida than Russia. I live in Miami and hurricane season just started!!! Every year we have to be ready for anything to happen.

Great site! I love seeing what happens on the other side of the world!

4. p1k3y says:

:o Its my hometown!!! And its Biysk, not Birsk
    Biysk on Google Map

5. Starshii says:

Maybe it was not on TV, because this city is situated in the “wrong side” of Urals… But I think the main reason for this lack of information was that there are no bad news in Putin´s Russia nowadays. Atleast this is my impression after watching “news” on pervii kanal or on RussiaToday.

6. Comrad says:

It’s actually Birsk (Bashkiria Region, 50,000 population), not Biysk.
    The storm happened on June 1 around 4pm. It lasted just 10-15 minutes. The estimated wind speed was about 80mph, which is the highest mark (12) on the Beaufort wind force scale.
    The entire town was out of electricity for 1 day.

7. tim says:

yeah we’ve had a few storms like that here in the states, specially my state Oklahoma. in fact the second year i lived here a storm like that created sustained winds of 70 mph all night and caused similar damage. Hope the cleanup goes smoothly we lost a lot of roofs that night.

8. Andrey says:

Hey, Starshii. look at this: http://www.1tv.ru/owa/win/ort6_main.main?p_news_title_id=103705&p_news_razdel_id=8 This is link to news about disaster in Birsk posted on the official site of the ORT (First russian TV channel), there you can also find video wich transkated on TV. Maybe you were sleeping that time, my dear Putinophobe.

9. Art K says:

Thank God the Kvas wagon survived!

10. mr. fit says:

I like the style of that little house in the first picture. It seems like it’s from a fairytale