28 Russian Students 100 Years Ago

Russian Students 100 Years Ago

Posted on March 8, 2007 by

russian students 1

These are illustrations from the book from 1900, 107 years ago, about how did Russian university students looked like. With short word describing each.

For example the guy above is: “Physics student”.

russian students 2

This one is “Student for Doctor”

russian students 3

“Russia student from Academy”

28 Responses to “Russian Students 100 Years Ago”

1. Kaiser says:

jews he-he

2. sbull.net says:

Lol! I guess they didn’t much like Ukranians or Poles :P

• fromukrainewithlove says:

why you say that?
      Of course we always had our differences….but the people see Russians and Ukrainians as brothers…

3. MrSmile says:

Correction
    Poland was never part of Russia. Of course during the soviet era Poland was under strong Russian pressure. Let’s call it a “friendly bear hug” ;-)

Best Regards

• ryl says:

poland was, in fact, part of russia
      1815 to 1917
      although i think it was divided into 3, and the other 2 parts went to someone else

russia had warswaw and lodz (? Лодзь)

• Mr. V says:

Dear MrSmile, I’d rather say it’s a “bug in your education”. Please read this article: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Congress_Kingdom

• rogatek says:

different parts of Poland were annexed by Russia, Austria and Prussia, three times. And, in fact, Poland was part of Russia a houndred years ago, but we, Polishmen had never accepted it, and there were risings, partisans, clandestine meetings and teaching, and so on…

so Mr. Smile is thinking, about what happened after the second world war
        then it was a bear hug, but not friendly…

But i do not understand, why on this postcard is old nobleman, students from Poland were young and skinny ;)

• Darek from Poland says:

From 1795 Poland was completly divided by Russia, Austria and Prussia.
      In that time the smallest was Prussia (after II WW, most of this lands were included to Poland) which in XIX c. reunited German Dutchies in Prussia Kingdom. Austria wasn’t so small as now, it was multi-nation Kingdom of Habsburg Dynasty (until the end of I WW). Russia, in that time, was ‘new’ Empire in this region and initialized the dividing of Poland.
      In next decades there were many historical facts (Polish cooperation with Napoleon Buonaparte, Polish Dutchies on ‘divided parts’, big Polish insurrection in 1931 and 1963) but undependency was won over after I WW, when Germany, Austria and Russia were weak after war. In 1919-1921 Poland had war with Soviet Russia (ended on Polish conditions) – it was the first try of the enlargment of communist revolution.
      Barbarity of genocide made by German Nazis in II WW had partitionaly genesis in that experience. Killing of whole nations was the way of the final resolution. Stalin’s politics with many nation was similiar.

• MrSmile says:

I agree I made a “little” mistake here. I was thinking about post 2nd WW period. The postcards are much older… I mentioned this because one of my teachers at the university tried to convince me that poland was a part of Soviet Union after WWII.

4. Boris Abramov says:

The forth one – looks like Putin, – and he is a lawyer!!!

5. ppk says:

Man they need a Botanic` for the complete picture. Ukrainec is not a type of student, its more of a diet choice.

6. D says:

They look so real.

7. Vitaliy says:

How stereotypical, my Russian parents probably believe thats true too

8. Texas1 says:

Hey Matt, put a cork in it. Stereotypes are 97% accurate. They are only wrong when a freak of nature occurs.

9. Michael Von Brah says:

Funny how the jewish one is asking for money lol

10. Sally says:

“Did the types of students changed a lot from those old Russian times?”

Yes, there are women in school now.

• Darek from Poland says:

In XVIII century there were women in Universities, too,
      but they made a small participation. Polish girl Maria Sklodowska (Sklodowska-Curie after marriage) went to Paris to study physics in XVIII c.. Her works with radioactive elementary bodies were prized two times by a Nobel Prize in Physics Science. As I know by next 100 years there wasn’t a Nobel Prize in Physics Science given to a woman.

11. newyorker says:

I have a small collection of representations of Jews in propaganda and anti-semitic literature, and I love the last picture. I find it ironic that Michael Von Brah assumed that they were talking about money, nothing in the picture points to that. That, my friends, is the very nature of racism and bigotry – the assignment of stereotypes through convenient assumption. I also love how there are multiple Jews, just to make sure we can spot all the types…

12. k says:

Yes, much had changed – there’s hardly any students from Poland in Russia now.

13. Senetra Cassell says:

Can the person who posted these pictures tell me the name of the hat/cap being worn by the character called the Physics student? I like this style hat. I would like to have this type of hat custom-made, if possible.

14. Senetra Cassell says:

Also, what is the name of the book that contains these illusttrations, which is from year 1900, 107 years ago, about how did Russian university students looked like. With short word describing each? If possible, could you e-mail me with any responses for this and previous question, please? Thank you very much.

15. mukmika says:

This was posted 3 years ago, and I just viewed it now. Must admit I had a few chuckles at the illustrations, don’t know if they were meant to be funny.