26 Old Russian Digital Watches

Old Russian Digital Watches

Posted on February 21, 2007 by

We had old Russian calculators from collection of Sergei Frolov, now it's turn for old Russian digital watches from his collection too.

All the calculators were from one same brand - from "ELEKTRONIKA". Same story is with those watches. They all were produced by this Elektronika company, the only vendor in Soviet Russia for consumer electronics.

26 Responses to “Old Russian Digital Watches”

1. leon187 says:

it so oldscoOl and in the same time so mas$Ive
    i have one of them, and its still working! soviet electronics build to resist!

• katjusha says:

yeah, i agree with you. i have old soviet photo camera “smena 8″ and “kiev” and they still work. on the other hand i have changed 2 canon digital photo cameras because they stop to work :(

• Boris says:

That’s Soviet electronics allright. People have critisized them for being severely outdated and uncreative, but their low-tech construction and operation guarantees longer life, offsetting their low quality.

For example, in 1991 US companies were already using switching mode power supplies, which weighed 20x less, cost 5x less, and were 10x smaller, but were unreliable, difficult to repair, and failure sometimes caused catastrophic results to the device. The USSR still used regular transformers for everything.

Fortunetly we still use regular transformers(ac adpaters, etc.) but many high-tech and cool-looking electronics have switched-hence the computer power supply failures. A switched PSU will last ~5 years, while a regular transformer could last more than 50.

• Bob says:

You seem to forget the bad efficiency (<50%) with transformer + linear regulator compared to transformerless + switching. Always a trade-off with every technology so you can’t just start eliminating alternatives based on reliability only.

2. katjusha says:

brings back memories :=

3. Evgeny says:

I used to have a wrist watch and an alarm clock, they were as durable as the AK-47 :).

4. Sergei says:

Did Soviet people really carry those big radio clocks in their wrists or why do you call them watches?

5. Texas1 says:

There’s no way that the Soviets designed these on their own. It really looks like they copied all of the consumer electronics from American and Japanese companies.

• Texas1 says:

From what I understand, way back in the 1970’s when these things were built, US and Japanese products were just like these. They had not been cost reduced yet. I know that people on here point out that Russian electronics came with schematics, but I heard that nearly every stereo receiver, television, video records and so on made in either the US or Japan durring that time frame came with schematics. I’m sure I could surg around eBay for some “Vintage” alarm clocks and watches and show you models that looked exactly lie these.

• karp says:

this is not only a watch!! I’ve written a comment about this tool – I haven’t seen an american tool like that. It’s quite a qreat tool!

6. karp says:

ha, the one on the eight photo isn’t just a clock – I use few of them even today! (Warsaw, Poland).

It’s a well working tool that has two separate power channels that may be turned on/off at any programmed time any day of week. So you can set up a old radio (without it’s own electronics) to turn on / off at a given hour, make the light in your home turn on at a given time to make your house look like somebody is in…

this is kind of a very good tool and I will use it for long.

once I’ve found smillar tool made by Dutch Philips. It was much worse than the russian one, had much less memory and only a single channel.

Respect for the Russian machine. My parent bought it on the begining of the 90′, so it’s quite a old machine but still successfully working.

7. padieg says:

Love the one that says in Spanish: “Fabricado en la URSS”
    I still have a TV from the eghties and a lot of manuals of old electronics which came with schematics…very useful for the repairing guy.

8. Nikita says:

У меня были такие же часики Байконур! УРРРРРРРРРАА!

9. Wout says:

I like the pocket watch in the tenth… http://englishrussia.com/images/old_soviet_watches/10.jpg

It’s just.. you look at it, it looks like late 1800’s or something, and then the display gets to you… Creepy, brilliant, great… Russian! :P

10. Mark says:

It’s all in spanish, except the days of the week.
    Es todo en español, perro no del dia el semaña.

11. Air King says:

Wow,Great!Thanks for sharing this!Love second on!

12. [...] you can see from the collection of Sergei Frolov, Elektronika did manage some variety to their offerings. Some are surprisingly stylish too. I [...]

13. Caleb says:

Mine electronica-5. I carried them 10 years. They were not afraid of water, the glass after set of impacts has turned to a web, in a crack the sand was drove, but they worked!!! I want them back. :`(

14. Nikolaevich says:

Great Collection..! vintage retro Russian digital clocks and watches are looking cool like Japanese watches. i found this page http://www.casiodigitalwatches.com/casiotron1.htm which is similar to these watches. Thanks Nice Blog :)

15. j s says:

Some of these things had extra functions which you wouldn’t see anywhere else, like direct entry programming.

16. [...] WarnbspnbspA Burden of One’s Choice is Not Felt nbspnbspWalking Fridge Boxes nbspnbspOld Russian Digital WatchesnbspnbspAnd Lube for All nbspnbspThe Mobile Computer nbspnbspAncestors of Modern Copiers Still [...]

17. sam says:

Nice pics .. The Watch Museum is the biggest online collection of most amazing watches ever.It has world of unusual,strange,weird,innovative,luxury and beautiful watches.

18. dresses says:

I got what you intend, thankyou for posting. Woh I am thankful to find this website through google. “The eye of a human being is a microscope, which makes the world seem bigger than it really is. ” by Kahlil Gibran.