33 Russian Weapons Destroyed By Estonian Customs

Russian Weapons Destroyed By Estonian Customs

Posted on December 22, 2006 by

russian weapon

These are Estonian customs destroy weapons forfeit from Russian smugglers.

Mainly handguns.

russian weaponrussian weapon

33 Responses to “Russian Weapons Destroyed By Estonian Customs”

1. Mattias says:

Russian smugglers… well, it could be, but i have my doubts. Actually, they could as well just be some old discarded makarovs and… what are the latter, brownings? cz’s? okay, anyway, our police forces should be receiving their new USPs any day now, perhaps as a christmas present :P

2. Bishop Brennan says:

^ Well, I reckon importing ex-criminal/stolen/etc./ guns into America maybe a bit difficult.

3. Steph says:

Yeah–I did wonder why all the guns looked in new condition and all the same model in each bin. Your explanation makes sense, humanoid.

4. [...] Russian Weapons Destroyed By Estonian Customs [...]

5. spitzer says:

Tokarevs are in the second bin…, what a shame, they would fetch some $ in US…

6. geekWithA.45 says:

So sad, indeed, all those perfectly good handguns getting zapped. I’ve been looking for a 52 myself.

How many of those you bet made it into some of those guys pockets?

7. dim says:

yes whoever wrote this story- try again

8. Björn says:

did anyone though about the good deed done that comes with destroying a handgun?

every single one can kill. good go Estonia, for making the handguns fewer. this counts where ever they come from, smugglers or estonian storages… and yes, there will be enough left for every collector out there.

9. mike says:

i agree burn them all for scape metal, we don’t need more guns in our world. does the usa need more then 9,000 nuclear warheads? no of course not.

10. monsewage says:

I thought it was a waste too, until I realized that maybe these Estonians know their country better than I do.

Perhaps the corruption is so bad that guns approved for re-sale to the US market (where they would fetch US$20 each) can easily be diverted to an illegal arms vendor for US$25 each.

11. Doug says:

The top photo shows Makarov pistols. My father has one, and carrys it sometimes(he has a concealed carry permit). I shot it last summer, a great shooter! Easy trigger pull, managable recoil.

The second photo shows pistols packed in cosmoline – that brown grease used for long term storage.

The third photo shows Tokarev pistols. They shoot the same round that the wartime PPsh-41 submachine gun shot.

I believe that it was not wise to destroy them in such a manner, but of course, I am an American.

12. Jim says:

Ah, what a shame. The Tokarevs look like a recent production – the grips have no stars.

Fine weapon – I have 3 of them.

13. Big Gay Al says:

That’s too bad. In stead of making money, Estonia has to spend money to destroy a viable product. They could have easily made $100.00 or more on each pistol, if they had sold them to a US arms importer.

Everyone who REALLY knows firearms, knows that Russian Makarovs are among the best made pistols in the world. And while the Tokarev has it’s faults, it’s still a good pistol, and a desired collectible.

Oh well.

• Mike says:

There’s a joke in Estonia that Makarov is good for 8 missed shots and one accurate throw. Personally I’m glad I don’t have to use Makarov anymore. Pretty shitty thing.

14. chris says:

those are sum nice guns
    but ive seen better

15. Ben the American says:

Holy Smokes. As an American AND a Gun collector I would have gladly paid 150$+ EACH one. What a waste. Does Estonia even think about these things?

16. Kung Poo says:

I have no experience with Tokarevs, but I do with the Makarov. When theses were first imported into the US, most dealers said the same thing you do, that they were junk. 15 years later, they know better. No, they’re not pretty, never had a real good finish on the metal, but they are a very robust and reliable firearm that has stood the test of time. It’s a 1951 design that has been in use in most Eastern Bloc countries until just recently. I’ve fired thousands of rounds through my 3 Makarovs and have had a total of ONE malfunction over a period of ten years. Most people I know of who own them have had similar experiences. These guns rarely fail. Maintenance is extremely simple, parts are easy to replace when they are finally needed, and they are extremely accurate for their size. Come back when you actually know what you’re talking about.

17. CanAm says:

They were destroyed as a contract requirement with HK. They sold HK USP’s cheap on the condition that the guns were destroyed.

18. Cal says:

They’re converting to NATO weapons for ammunition standardization. The logistics of a military alliance are much smoother if all the members use interchangable ammo.

19. g3shooter says:

NOOOOOO, I am not a criminal and would have loved to give those firearms a new home. They would make fine target pieces and collectables.

20. g3shooter says:

No, Britain has a handgun ban and has actually seen a SURGE in violent crime. Same with Australia.

Many Americans(myself included)collect old firearms, I personally like American .45s and Russian firearms.

What is with the hatred for Americans, we don’t hate Russia or Ukraine. Communism was a horrible and brutal system, now that good has prevailed over evil can’t we all just get along?

21. Dev says:

They should have resold all those weapons instead of distroying them, what a waste.

22. Mixas says:

the other ones are TT

23. Blast says:

Send them my way! I’ll take them off Estonia’s hands *gladly*.

24. YJ says:

Sell it to America we want to buy it.

25. meanbug says:

Makarow isn’t a handgun- it’s a throwing weapon!

26. Don Merriam says:

I guess it all depends on your worldview. Liberals want guns destroyed because they’re dangerous. How simplistic. Cars are dangerous too, but we don’t destroy them if they’re still usuable and nobody worries about a car falling into criminals’ hands where they can be used to commit more crimes. It would be pretty tough for a serial killer or rapist to commit his next crime if he had to rely upon a taxi to bring him back from wherever he dumped the victim’s body now, wouldn’t it? We could prevent a lot of crime if only the police and military had vehicles. Personal freedom and freedom of choice, you say? Screw you. In the liberal control freak world those things don’t exist for anyone but them.

Hell, liberals are dangerous too but no one advocates destroying them to improve the human condition. Maybe it’s time people should re-think that one if we’re championing a world without freedom, rights, and freedom of choice for our neighbors and fellow man.

27. Marko says:

Those were old defence forces guns. They where destroyd, becorse, they dont needed enymore!!! This way destroyd old Kalasnikov atomatic guns olso!!!

28. ODB says:

I personaly find this very painful…

29. good guy says:

If they even just sold the parts and destroyed the stripped frames to the US surplus market they could have bought a wad more vests and other items for the police.