25 How Drivers in Moscow Make Left Turn

How Drivers in Moscow Make Left Turn

Posted on December 15, 2006 by

It seems we have a video day today.

This one was sent by Luke from Seattle, he travelled to Moscow last fall and got this on tape how Russian drivers make a left turn.

This is happening right in the middle of Moscow city, next to the Kremlin – you can see its red walls.

25 Responses to “How Drivers in Moscow Make Left Turn”

1. Спудник says:

Why not put traffic light on the street?

2. VladimirS (Russia) says:

Hm… What’s wrong on this video? It’s just everyday life. Everybody drive cars that way.

3. Grundes says:

Well, at least the guy on the crosswalk wasn’t hit.

4. Bishop Brennan says:

I don’t see anything wrong with this either. There is most likely traffic lights that are on green for the vehicles turning left.

5. 4emist says:

it’s normal traffic for moscow) i drive that way either).

6. AlexK says:

probably the light is green for turning left.

also, you can’t see it as much in western countries, but its partially because the streets are not as wide

7. Acts_of_Atrocity says:

I`ve noticed a trolleybus rolling from under the bridge, but I cant see electric cables to power it. o__0

Wonder how that freak got there… х__Х

8. AlexK says:

it is nuclear (as polonium is used in Russia to power the trolleys)

9. Acts_of_Atrocity says:

Quite so, sir!

TO THE LAB!!->

10. Luke says:

Yeah, this kind of scene is quite normal all over Russia, and many other parts of Europe and Asia. To drivers in most of North America though, this is a foreign and amusing scene.

11. Luke says:

To answer the question about the traffic light.. there is one on the street, you just can’t see it off to the left. Not only was there a traffic light, but there where 5 or 6 traffic cops there manually controlling the light and enforcing it. It added to the hilarity of the scene when, after at least 5 minutes of waiting, all of the cars which had the red light started leaning on their horns, trying to get the cops to switch the light.

cheers

12. Sauri says:

What’s wrong? I see nothing unusual there

13. AlexK says:

Well, he wasn’t nearly killed, but yeah.
    But I have seen the same thing happen to me and other people many times in Montreal, Quebec, Canada.
    However in Ontario, Canada this is very unlikely. I dunno about US, probably also differs by the state and town too.

14. Bloopy says:

What’s wrong is that the cars are all lining up beside each other at the intersection and all trying to turn left at once.

Here in New Zealand and in Australia too, people actually drive in their lanes and wait in line correctly!

15. Stephen says:

That doesn’t look too bad. I see worse than that everywhere in China everyday. If you want to turn left, you cut off the people driving straight and go right through the pedestrians!

16. BashCowboy says:

Yes traffic in the US differs greatly from state to state, although you’re certainly not likely to see a scene anything like that. Our motorways here in the US are definitely built on an entirely different design ideal. It seems to be working perfectly fine though, You’re getting what looks like much more through-put than we do on American road systems. I wouldn’t say anything is “wrong” at all. Just a different approach that appears to work fine.

17. dRE says:

This is usually the everyday scene I witness out of our western-european office window – only you can add trams, double-length busses, bicyclists, motorists and huge masses of people to just cars in Moscow. ;) It’s more chaotic than in this video, but it resolves after a while.

18. Jalopnik says:

In Russia, Left Turns You!…

Another gem from English Russia, this clip shows what happens when a city designed for gilded Faberge carriages drawn by fine Kabardin stallions tries to host 3.2 million cars in the same square footage. Right, hilarity ensues. – Mike……

19. the polish guy says:

It’s very chaotic as they don’t respect lanes at all. So I guess the throughput must be higher than I have witnessed in Geneva or maybe in some other countries of the West…

But the downside is that it is probably far more stressfull to the drivers as they have to constantly watch their back and what’s around them. Plus, if you drove in the middle of the actual lane, you’d probably be intimidated and horned upon by other drivers.

20. diego says:

Looks like an ordinary day here in Buenos Aires. What surprises me of this video is that everybody respects the left turn and no one on the left or middle lanes tries to go straight to the other street, something you see everyday here. Specifically, the cab drivers do that and add to the chaos.

21. Kazol says:

You guys haven’t seen Novosibirsk. Last time I’ve been there the roads were all cracked, and there were no painted lane lines. The cars could go wherever they want to. Also very crazy driving there! I was 30cm short of being run over, after the driver clearly saw me 500m away. Also part of the roads there weren’t even asphalted! Clearly shows that more funding is going to tourist-popular cities like Moscow and St. Petersburg to get a good impression on w.EU\US tourists. Some Siberian cities are even closed to tourists…guess why.

22. Grajeda says:

yes, it´s pretty unusual…

it is supposed to be full in the center, not to the left…

23. Alexei says:

Thanks for your constructive comment, BonZo.

24. Alex Levitin, Moscow says:

Trust me, it gets much more nastier in the evening

25. I live in Brazil and my best friend is Russian — now I know why she drives like she is driving a Sherman tank — LOL