18 Russia 100 Years War on Terror?

Russia 100 Years War on Terror?

Posted on November 19, 2006 by team

It’s a photo from amazing Russian photographer Prokudin-Gorsky, the official photographer of Russian empire. He had a special technology of making three different shots and then combining them in one colour images, most of his works are now stored at Library of Congress and available from their site.

This particular shot was made in 1907, that’s almost 100 years ago.

And what can we see here? A group of islamic terrorists sit in cage-prison guarded by Russian soldier – the guy in red pants with a rifle (this kind of prisons were made by digging a big hole in the ground and putting very low-ceilings building on it).

So the war with Islamic suspects in Russia is 100 years long already? And at that time there were no human rights commisions and “secret prisons” were pretty un-secret.

You see there Osama’s grandpa probably?

islamic terror

18 Responses to “Russia 100 Years War on Terror?”

1. Sauri says:

It lasts much longer than 100 years. Chechen war already occurred in the middle of XIX century. Read the “A Prisoner In The Caucasus” by Lev Tolstoy (in english – http://www.314159.ru/predki/tolsty1.htm) – nothing different.

2. Robert says:

For those that are interested the colour photograph process is quite interesting.

I only know how to project colour photos, but I’m sure from this we could work out how to make and store colour photos.

You take the one greyscale photograph. With three copies of this photograph you then put each as a slide infront of a light; they have to focus on the same point. Then you add colour filters infront of each photo; red, green and blue.

I suppose you could use some sort of silver-halide plate sensitive to certain wavelengths (red and violet [orange and blue] or maybe green instead of blue?) Or maybe a dye that filters light and multiple plates, then make it negative, etc.

Though I do know about the three colour filter method for projecting colour photos, and I’d say that’s by far the most simple and so probably the most effective too.

If anybody has any information as to how exactly the photographer of the photograph shown here made them colour could they please share?

Also, fantastic photograph and a nice snippet of history for us all, cheers.

3. Bert (Russophile :) says:

The process is quite simple. You take three separate pictures of your subject through three different colour filters (RGB or CMY). You later project them on top of each other using the same colour filters, which mixes the colours back in the same way as before. Voila, colour! :) Technicolour films also use this technique.

You can use a camera with a single lens and two beam splitters to expose three plates simultaneously, or a camera with three lenses, or even a simple camera, and swap out filters manually.

Holland has its own famous colour photographer from the 1920’s–1950’s who may or may not have copied Prokhudin-Gorsky, Bernard F. Eilers.

4. There is a database of all of his images here:

[Link]

5. Doug says:

What kind of rifle is that? By the time the photo was taken, the Moisin-Nagant M91 or “three line” rifle was pretty commonplace in Russia. The rifle seems to be a single shot bolt-action or trapdoor-action type with a cruciform bayonet (which looks a little bent away from overuse).

6. AmericaPhobe says:

The door is wery interesting indeed!
    How will it be opened? Does one have to unlock all of those bars holding it? And why i one open allready? And why is that one guy sitting next to guard so creepy looking?

Just wondering.

Once again we are witnsessing American dictatorship poisoning
    peoples from middle-east!

;) lol.

7. AntiRus says:

WoW Russian people are not too white.

8. Elizabeth says:

Well, anyway I thought it was a funny post. I guess some people reading this blog don’t have a sense of proportion or humour about the so-called war on terrorism, and its futility, but some of us did. Keep up the good blogging.

(Acts of Atrocity: “those are people in middle-east clothes behind the bars!” They are not. They are in Asian clothes- specifically, they look like a people from his “Turkestan” travels in Central Asia.)

9. dRE says:

10. ilyich says:

dRE said: I think most people that frequently visit this website should’ve realised by now that the admin’s main task is to discredit Russia, which he is doing most of the time. His posts don’t have to be correct or truthful in any way, just as long as they’re laughing or insulting Russia.

perhaps.

but I think it’s a mark of maturity to be able to laugh at ones self: the USA laughs at itself all the time, mocks it’s own customs and styles, mocks it’s leaders– don’t assume the idea is to discredit Russia, maybe it’s to get westerners to think about Russia (and to realize that it is as ridiculous a place as America much of the time).

11. dRE says:

ilyich: If you think Russians can’t laugh at themselves, you’re VERY wrong! A lot of photos on this website were taken from Russian entertainment websites, including pictures with drunks, “internet-cafes” in villages, etc. (i.e. which are supposed to “insult” us). So we have no problem in laughing at our own life.
    What bothers me is how the author describes what’s on these photos and here you can’t deny that his use of words (untrue most of the time!) is often for the purpose of descrediting or insulting Russia.

12. Endymion says:

I know I’m late to the party here, but I really don’t see, from the USA of course, how this is so insulting or disrespectful to Russia?

13. Eskafolon says:

In this photo there is nothing offensive.
    Have simply joked of terrorism.
    Simply at the administrator such sense of humour.

14. TTT says:

This picture was taken in Bukhara (currently Uzbekistan, at the time then made it was under Russian Empire protection). All people are locals including the guard.

15. R says:

“You see there Osama’s grandpa probably?”

No, Osama’s grandpa was an Arab.

I don’t think they were “terrorists”. Terrorists in tsarist Russia were anarchists and socialists/communists. The word “terrorist” had a different meaning, too.

16. Kori Roaf says:

“I can’t help but say that looks as though you’ve captivated the genuine essence of the position close at hand. While many another appear to have obscured the fundamental detail of it, that which is submitted higher up is faultless and right on the nose. Clearly I don””t pronouncing that I concur along all points; still, I must say you have handed me cause to ponder some of the points that I believed that I owned as determined opinions in that attentivenesses. Powerfully told, and it is now for me to consider a bit more connected to a couple of many of the outstanding points. In summary, it’s clear you’ve have added a little thoght to the World.”

17. biomedtalk says:

My opinion is a bit another how it is possible to talk to the author, for example on an e-mail?

18. Nnover says:

Exclusive delirium, in my opinion