26 Russian Village

Russian Village

Posted on October 29, 2006 by team

Russian wooden architecture is something you can meet in any Russian village all your way through Russia.

Here we had already an article about Kizhi wooden churches, the place, the island on Onega lake in Karelia, Russia, where different examples of Russian wooden architecture are collected, from all over the Russia.

Today it’s a different story, this is a sample of just a common village from Russian rural countryside. It’s not something from medieval times, it’s a way of how the modern Russian countryside house builders look on things.

Buildings on this photosets are used in everyday life – there are photos of schools, city hall (village hall) etc.

russian village

This is simple Russian school.

russian village russian village

26 Responses to “Russian Village”

1. Kaziamann says:

Good pictures.

2. Fyodor says:

Amazing how much detail is used in these buildings. It’s great to still see such workmanship in these times.

3. maxD says:

Excellent craftsmanship. But sometimes the lack of ‘allover style’ is quite appearant : the traditional craftsmanship is used the same way on every occasion, sometimes creating strangely unesthetic wholes : i.e. the ‘rugged’ dachas built from treetrunks decorated with intricate detailed entrance door and windowframes. I’m trying to imagine what would happen if these craftsmen would work under the guidance of a gifted architect, what would the result be ? Astounding probably…

4. Moero says:

that’s very beautiful :)

5. Braad Spitt says:

I love the woodwork. Absolutely great!
    Glad I’m not the one to have to paint them, though.. That’s a helluva job! ;)

6. ilyich says:

as a former house-painter (in my teens), I am glad I never had to do any work in Russia.

7. ilyich says:

I remember a picture book my mother had of Russian orthodox churches. There was one in some very rural, desolate area that was quite large and ornate, and built entirely out of wood, including the domes. It was every bit as complex as St. Basil’s in Moscow, but unbelievably intricate and unpainted, just bare wood. I couldn’t imagine the amount of work that went into it.

8. Azrul Hisyam Saleh says:

Wow, those look very much like Malay architecture and other South East Asian people.

9. Acts_of_Atrocity says:

ilyich, I think you remember the monastery in Karelya – it is built entirely of wood, with no iron parts, even nails, and is called “Kizhi”.

10. ValentinKa says:

Is it Murom?

11. katjusha says:

beautifull, simply beautifull

12. Laurie says:

Lovely buildings, very surprising that they’ve stood the test of time considering they are wooden.

13. Elias Kalinovski says:

I think the people or the government of that region encouraged to build this way in order to get visitors and tourists. This is quite reasonable, for that region has nothign special economically. In many parts of the world the government is repairing historical buildings to preserve memory and get tourists, I think it’s great.

I also think that the Russian and other ex-soviet countries should keep soviet buildings up, for memory and to get visitors to think “wow, how terrible it should be to live here”. But shouldn’t do like the Ukrainian government to let students leave in those terrible campus (as seen in other topics)

14. Litovec says:

ocen krasivo. A teper tak escio gde nibut strojut?

15. Geo9 says:

I’m USA born and bred during the Cold War. I’ve traveled through several European countries. Italia is especially beautiful. But it is for Russia that I feel the most inexplicable nostalgia and longing. When you see their history, their culture, their hospitality, and the way they built houses- you know the Russians are most extraordinary people.

16. lee says:

Azrul – I was about to remark the exact same thing. It looks Indo-Malay/Siamese …. the woodwork detailing and pattern, especially on the windows. Well I wouldn’t discount cross-culture imitation, especially considering how rapid trade was even back then.

17. Purba Negoro says:

I am from Indonesia- the housing similarity is remarkable.
    We also build our houses on stone or brick foundation- to keep away the pest termite etc and the ground water

I think Russian houses show far more fret-work, whereas our houses use more carving- and of course motives unique to each culture.
    Wood is very god building material- very strong, can be very good insulator.
    Only problem is natural decay and natural agent acting upon the cellulose.

18. Dmitry says:

Can somebody tell me where this village is, please?

19. Alex says:

It’s very small town (population app. 4500) , Zlynka in the Bryansk region near Ukrainian border.

20. Carol J says:

Beautiful pictures! I am learning Russian now and hope that one day I will get to go and see this beauty with my own eyes.

21. Albonie says:

The smaller houses remind me of New Orleans architecture. How odd!

22. Yoron says:

Seems almost like fractals those ornaments that are aound the windows. Quite lovely if I may say so.
    Doesn’t surprise me that Russia have good mathematicians :)

23. Yoron says:

Seems almost like fractals those ornaments that are around the windows. Quite lovely if I may say so.
    Doesn’t surprise me that Russia have good mathematicians :)

24. Russell says:

Anybody knows where is this village exactly located? What regione is it? I loved these wooden houses. Just thinking to go there and buy one of them. please drope a line on regnum76@mail.ru . thx . Alex