41 Strange Soviet Buildings

Strange Soviet Buildings

Posted on October 15, 2006 by team

All these buildings might remind some objects from Sci-Fi movies of the past.

In the former USSR you can meet such buildings. They are not very often but there are some like in this photo series.

Some of the buildings have weird history. For example the building number 3, the “Friendship” hotel attracted a great part of attention from USA intelligence agency. They thought it was some sort of missile launching site.

tbilisi, georgia

This one can remind some castle from “Star Wars” but in fact it’s a place in which Soviet marriage events were held in Tbilisi, Gergia. In Russia and in USSR marriage doesn’t occur in the church, it happens in a special house called “Palace of The Marage”. It is so still nowadays, though after getting married in such place couple can visit a church.

tbilisi, georgia

This one is a “State Department for Traffic”. It was built in 1975 and also is located in Tbilis.

tbilisi, georgia

This one is the hotel “Friendship”, build during Soviet era, and it was considered by CIA as some strange military object. Nowadays this place is in Ukraine.

tbilisi, georgia

This is another strange one. It is a “Palace of Soviets” built in Kaliningrad city, Russia in 1975. Locals call it “A Big Monster”.

tbilisi, georgia

Here is a building for a Technological Institute in Minsk, Belarus. Was built in 1981 and looks like some white big boat.

Subscribe to our Facebook, Twitter to stay updated for the new posts. Also we have many more stories to explore below:

More stories:

Click here to read next random post from English Russia

41 Responses to “Strange Soviet Buildings”

1. josh says:

very cool!

• lajore says:

Holla’ at yo girls

Hey Hey Hey Stalin.
      We be balllin’
      And then fallin’
      and callin’ in the the Chinese food.

Woot Woot.

Peace

2. Dennis says:

The interesting thing is that my uncle got married in the building pictured in the first picture and my dad worked in the “Trafic” building illustrated in the second picture (both in Tbilisi). That takes me back… I think that there was some sort of sexual innuendo joke that went along with that “Trafic” building. I’ll have to ask my parents how it goes.
    Anyways, thanks for posting the pictures and bringing back many memories.

Cheers,

Dennis
    Vancouver, Canada

3. Zippy says:

Great architecture! Doesn’t look all that bored like most of the Russian civillian buildings.

• victoria says:

Big pardon, how about buildings in NY, for example??? I am from Russia, and I think “bored Russian civillian buildings “look like the top of Art compare to NY appartments

4. Jutratest says:

I saw a really cool building in Moscow once, near the horse racing track. It was very futuristic in design, but at the same time it was run down like a US ghetto, and very poor people living there. It was a great contrast of futuristic, and delapitated.

I wish I had taken a picture but I was jet-lagged and carrying a heavy bag :(

Does anyone know this building??

5. larik says:

Why call it “strange”? It’s just a great architecture.

6. ilyich says:

I think most of these are beautiful buildings, whether they are Russian/Soviet/whatever.

7. BigDog says:

These are interesting and attractive buildings. “Great Archetecture” is as beautiful and functional on the inside as the outside. I’d like to see more of the interiors of these buildings, especially the top one. At they still used? What do the people who live or work in them think of their building?

8. ilyich says:

Reminds me of Le Corbusier’s style (especially 1st, 4th, and 5th ones).

9. diego says:

Love the second one.
    And it reminds me of some construction from Quake 3, too.

10. Gizmo42 says:

The 3rd one reminded me of “The Sleeper House” about 20 miles from me. It was featured in the Woody Allen movie Sleeper. The interior was never finished until a few years ago though. I belive it just recently sold again this year.

Here are some pictures and information about it.

You can see it when driving down I-70. I always wanted that house since I was a kid.

11. le says:

to Jutratest: you probably saw the building by an architect Meerson which he built in the 70s. He was apparently inspired in this project by le Corbusier’s ideas.

12. dutten says:

wonder full

13. Kevin Miller says:

Very interesting. Reminds me of some of the Soviet buildings I saw when I lived in Kazakhstan.

14. RE-marriages in Russia- maybe you are reffering to the communist era, bu marriages as in every christian orthdox nation (.eg Greece or Cyprus) marriages take place in the church.

15. tzach says:

I wish we had more of this “strange” architecture here in the states.

16. Woodman says:

Gizmo42 – Love the Sleeper house! I always wanted that place since I was a kid too! Last drove by it on a trip from Denver to Venice in Feb. 05.

17. elliot says:

The Palace of Soviets reminds me of the Middlesex County Court House in Massachusetts:

18. matr says:

third one is located on Crimea (Ukraine) I saw it when i was travelling to Alupka Palace :)

19. E Bandari says:

Wow! Some of this reminds of the modern architecture in Europe and SF. Uf these buildings were in the west, we would probably consider some of them revolutionary.

There are though some really ugly buildings in Prague from the Soviet days, right next to the most amazing old architecture.

20. Mike Seth says:

The “Druzhba” hotel is actually on the Black Sea, at Yalta, near the Golden Beach. Almost next to it is the Seagull’s Nest, a castle restaurant!

You normally get to these places by a ship from Yalta’s public port.

21. kzm says:

Oh my god – it’s almost like Berlin. (Check, for instance, the ‘Pregnant Oyster’, or the ‘Kohlossal’)

22. yuridon says:

A typical Japanese building in this fashion is Kyoto International Conference Hall. Here are some images.

23. 2kija says:

Cool arcitecture, i meet the second building every day on my way to the university, but i’v never thought it was one of the best ones in the former USSR :)

24. John says:

The “Palace of Soviets” built in Kaliningrad city had been a total disaster. Its constructionsite is a former swamp. It did tilt even before it´s construction was finished. Therefore it was never finished. The only reason for its existence was that the german Goverment hat a castle there and the new huge building shoult have showed the victory of comunism over the germans.

25. Events says:

Some of those buildings are quite ugly, but others I really like and find the architecture to be really imaginative and interesting.

26. Tanya says:

I’m from Belarus, living in Minsk near the building you showed us on your last picture. :)
    Here its informal name is a “ship”, not just a “boat”. :)

27. KBR says:

East – West, North – South all have such buildings… But they are nice to see.

28. Finski says:

Something similar can be seen in design of “hotel salyut” in Kiev.

29. it is really hard to build massive traffic on a website. you need to promote your website by blog commenting or PPC advertising*,,

30. James says:

There are definitely some strange buildings in Russia. Its worth mentioning that there are ub fact strange buildings all over our world. I found this interesting and amusing article earlier today with a selection of strange buildings from around the world – http://www.charringtonoak.co.uk/Top10-WorldsWeirdestBuildings.html

31. Remark says:

I just have one remark.
    The conclusion says “If you would ever travel to Russia you would be probably interested in visiting those places to get a photo like this.”, but, in fact, only one building – “Big Monster” is ACTUALLY located in todays Russia.

32. Travel Deals says:

Hi there. I really appreciate the fantatic points you made. I dont think Ive actually thought about it in that way. I can really appreciate how you approached the subject matter and what you said really gave me a new perspective. Thanks for taking the time to write this all out. Good precise info.

33. Viaduck says:

And you can tell me more? thanks in advance.

34. Banditka says:

actually, the institute in Minsk , is built as a plane, and not a boat.

35. I love the brutalist aesthetic of some of these buildings!

36. michael says:

Man that is so cool I would love to stay for a week or two…

37. Papa Karlo says:

“it happens in a special house called “Palace of The Marriage”.

Not exactly correct, marriages take place in a “Hall of registration of actions of civil status” or ZAGS. Usually in a large city there are several “district ZAGSs” and there is one central one, which is called “Palace of Marriage”. Divorces, birth registrations etc. all handled by these ZAGSs. Me and my wife married in a ZAGS, which was nothing more than several rooms on the first floor of a residential apartment buildings.