20 Keyboard Monument

Keyboard Monument

Posted on October 9, 2006 by team

In Russian city Ekaterinburg there is a monument for QWERTY keyboard.

It looks like white stones scattered across the lawn if to look from some distance.

But when you come closer you can clearly see that thouse boulders are keys and the lawn is the board.

russian keyboard monumentrussian keyboard monumentrussian keyboard monument

Subscribe to our Facebook, Twitter to stay updated for the new posts.

More stories:

Click here to read next random post from English Russia

20 Responses to “Keyboard Monument”

1. BTW, what does the plaque say? (I don’t understand cyrillic)

• России says:

Да, я согласен. Фильтры необходимы. И все наши братья и сестры матери России может окончательно объединить силы и уничтожить наших врагов.

2. Xavi says:

Does it have USB jack? It would be really useful to me, as my laptop has only western characters. Well, I actually have a russian keyboard, but not so suitable to work outdoors :-)

3. Björn says:

guess this is what they call modern art. very tasty exectuted.

4. ilyich says:

I find it very weird that there would be a monument to the keyboard, in Russia, with NON-CYRILLIC keys, but then again, the QWERTY keyboard WAS invented in the west, so Roman characters would be a true representation of the device. . . I can’t make out the small writing on the dedication.

Anyway, the QWERTY keyboard is NOT the most efficient keyboard set-up, but was invented so salesmen could quickly type out “typewriter” when the machine was being pushed on the public (note how all the necessary letters for “typewriter” are on the top row). I wish we could re-design it now to make it more efficient, but then millions of keyboards/typwriters would be instantly obsolete.

5. Xavi says:

To ilyich:

If you pay attention to the third (last) photo, you’ll see that keys include both: western and cyrillic characters. Possible to see the following keys:

Left: N (western) – T (cyrillic)
    Right: M (western) – ь (cyrillic)

6. Robert says:

I thought that qwerty was utilised so people had to relearn the letter order and so had to learn a typing rhythm, as the stamps with the letters on were getting interlocked near the paper. So by making the keyboard qwerty it meant that people could relearn the keys and at the same time learn a rhythm?

I’d say the typewriter thing is just a nice touch.

7. ilyich says:

ahhhh. . . both “N” and “T”, but of course how could I know that was a “cyrillic T” and not a Roman T? :)

That thing about “keys getting locked” and “learning a rhythm” I think are also correct (I had forgotten that)–

8. Meda says:

Plaque says:
    “Klava’s Tombstone”. “Klava” is slang for keyboard, as well as a girl name. “Author: Anatoly Vyatkin” and then some greetings to different people.

9. Cheshire_d0g says:

2 Meda:
    It’s not “tombstone” but “monument”.

On the top of the plaque it is said:
    “Long stories of Ekaterinburg.
    Modern art festival in urban environment”

10. Cheshire_d0g says:

2 ilyich:
    Well, you could take a look at your own keyboard or just think a little – how could a latin board have N and T on the same key?

11. boris says:

My keyboard is different; it’s a laptop one…
    Wicked stuff though! I love it.

12. Richard says:

With regards to more efficient keyboard setup, take a look at the ‘dvorak’ keyboard layout.
    You will actually find that most Operating Systems (Windows XP, OS X, Linux) already allow you to use dvorak layout, its just not setup as the default.

Note: It does make it hard to learn not having the proper symbols on the keyboard. So you may want to search google for a keyboard mapping page.

13. Dave says:

Actually, QWERTY was designed by Christopher Sholes, who invented the typewriter. The keyboard layout was organized to prevent people from typing too fast and jamming the keys.

14. Paul T says:

The QWERTY layout was designed so that common key pairs were on opposite sides of the keyboard – which naturally induces rythm, and served to further separate the hammers that would naturally be occuring together with frequency (thus reducing jams).

A “more efficient” layout was attempted (in English) during WW2, resulting in the Dvorak keyboard (named for a person, not the arrangement of keys). While I tend to find this layout more comfortable for some kinds of work, it isn’t actually any more effecient in terms of WPM than is QWERTY.

15. Tebixan says:

Although the inventor of the qwerty layout may have intentionally put all the letters for the word “typewritter” on the top row, that does not explain why all the other letters are so jumbled.

The primary reason qwerty has been adapted for nearly all english keyboards is that it helped prevent typebars from getting stuck in early typewritters. Letters that were commonly used together were placed far apart so that people would not get them stuck.

Qwerty was designed to slow you down, but it’s become so commonplace that it will be very difficult to change. Some people have begun using newer the Dvorak layout for keyboards, which has shown to be much faster.

16. Richard says:

There has been quite a bit of research with the Dvorak keyboard layout. You can find several different papers on the ‘net’. In general the avg. person gained about 5wpm.

17. Mickhael says:

Is there a Google Earth view of this?

18. SteveyDevey says:

I type better in dvorak than qwerty, but quite well in both. Dvorak was meant to be more efficient, but not necessarily a lot faster. It does end up being faster, but really the big benefit is from how much less work it takes to type, and how much less stress if puts on your wrists and hands. I’d really recommend people check it out, especially if you’re already a decent typist.

19. Gertrud Engerman says:

Absolutely amazing. My granddaughter told me about this and I barely believed such a thing could exist! WONDERFUL. truly brilliant