33 House Made from Matches

House Made from Matches

Posted on September 25, 2006 by team

It seems to be an old Russian tradition to make houses from matches as a gift or just for fun.

Do you want to learn how to build a house from matches? Here is a little howto from the Russian artist G. Wolf.

russian houses made from matches, matchhouse part 1

It would be built without a drop of a glue, and you won’t need those tools in order to build  a house.
russian houses made from matches, matchhouse part 1

But what do you need is:
1. A few boxes of matches, around 6-7
2. CD case, it would be used as a desk, that can be rotated as you like
3. A coin, not a little one.
russian houses made from matches, matchhouse part 1

Place a CD box on the desk and we’ll start the process.
Put two matches, parallel each other, in the distance a little smaller than a length of a match.

33 Responses to “House Made from Matches”

1. Gofaq Yusef says:

Long winters????

2. Andres says:

Yeah, things 2 do if you are in jail

3. [...] It is an old Russian tradition to create matchstick houses as gifts. Check this link to see how easy it is to make one. No glue or tools required. [...]

4. [...] Wie bastelt man ein Holz aus Streichhölzern ohne Kleber? Ganz einfach, so: (ich würde das gerne anzünden ^^) (Kein Click) [...]

5. Afi Derzein says:

oh yeah ! there’s no other pleasure than make a matchgift to anniversary or birthday ! people in russia never use “bvlgary” and “cartier” boutique when they going to congratulate someone… u make me lough guys ) ” It is an old Russian tradition to create matchstick houses as gifts.” ))

6. [...] English Russia » House Made from Matches (tags: arts crafts matches) [...]

7. Kontrastas says:

Looks very nice, just tried making one, bit difficult.

8. Ivan Minic says:

That’s so tiny :)

9. yo momma says:

god, grow up…. You are so annoying, geez. No one cares what your e-mail is, or that want mick… whatever… GET A LIFE. yes it’s hard, so what??? just keep trying.

10. eray says:

cok sacma yapsamda hiç bi yere koyamam

11. Remek says:

Einstürzende Neubauten “Kollaps” – I have this CD :)))

12. Billy Ledford says:

This is to let you all know that there is a person in the mountains of E. Tennessee that builds all sorts of items out of Matches with burnt heads, he has been building these crafts since the late 50’s, also he has pieces in museum.

Send him an e-mail and he will send you some pictures of these crafts.

Mr Ledford now lives in the big city of Dallas Texas, and has been interviewed by news papers and on different T V stations

Thanks BML

13. Tildoez says:

Nice! I tried building one, and it worked!!!

I wish they made bigger matches, my house is tiny…

14. Russian_NYC says:

This is so cool! I keep finding really interesting stuff on ER. Keep up excellent work guys! =)

15. [...] svært og det kan være en ganske god gave. Selve forklaringen er lidt for lang til at bringe her, så klik her for at gå til siden, som viser det. Det er en russisk side, men den er heldigvis på [...]

16. Riskey says:

This is great. I am going to try it and I hope I don’t burn my real house down!

17. Veikko says:

I built it and it seemed very solid at first, but after it had sat on my desk overnight, the whole thing just came apart at the seams when I tried to lift it.

Is there some sort of trick to make one that actually stays together, or is it just a matter of glue?

18. My grandfather used to make these. Nice. Thanks for tutorial, looks interesting and fun time waster :)

19. nice says:

People who live in match houses shouldn’t throw stones.

That’s pretty sweet!

20. Evrookno says:

Very interesting house! Thanks for the idea!

21. Kawai5ft10in says:

I like historical districts too. That one was not for sale. That area of the Eastern Shore is where some of my ancestors came to live in the mid 1600s. I’m looking to buy land there and the Blue Ridge/Shenandoah Valley area as well. My parents are going to sell their property and land in AZ. I use to spend weekends with TT2 he lived to be pretty old. That way I could work full-time and go to school full-time.

22. ClaraHigs says:

I got one of these as a gift in an airport in Belgium, I had given a girl €2 as she was short money for the vending machene & she came back during the night while I was asleep & left it with the lady who i was beside & asked her to give it to me. It’s one of the best presents I ever got!

23. Pyromaniac says:

Those burn down so quickly

24. O´Slow. says:

Made one, not easy.

25. Emily says:

Cool! It works! Now it starts falling apart a little bit, so I’m going to put it on top of my closet.

26. [...] ne dersiniz? Kibritlerden şirin bir bir ev yapmak isterseniz nasıl yapıldığını anlatan bu siteye [...]

27. vygis says:

i have builded it 5 times and it crashed , but it works it will hold its form, i just forget somes steps :-D

28. Done for my brother’s project