380 Lost City of Chernobyl

Lost City of Chernobyl

Posted on September 13, 2006 by team

“In matters nuclear one thing is certain: there is no protection in an iron curtain.” A letter in The Times May 3rd, 1986.

On the 26th of April 1986 shortly after midnight, to be precise, at 1:23 GMT, there occurred near the Ukrainian town of Chornobyl a tremendous explosion at a huge nuclear power plant, followed by a gradual meltdown of the reactor No. 4.

Chornobyl is situated 80 miles north-west of Kiev, the ancient capital of Ukraine and the Soviet Union’s third largest city.

It was by far the worst nuclear reactor accident ever, which immediately sent a radioactive cloud across neighbouring Byelorussia, Poland and the Baltic Republics towards Scandinavia.

Within days, borne by shifting winds, radioactive mists wafted beyond Soviet borders and spread across most of Europe causing anxiety, apprehension and fear.

The most badly affected were the Republics of Ukraine and Byelorussia. They suffered large scale involuntary irradiation, due to extensive secrecy, and great economic damage. Furthermore the contaminated air mass passed over large areas of Poland and also over parts of Czechoslovakia, Hungary, Romania and Yugoslavia and a number of West European countries.

Till now the land is abandoned, thousands of houses, thousands acres of the land, everything is now stays almost the same as it was 20 years ago.

Nowadays there guided tours are being conducted to this area. These photos are made by Alexandr Vikulov, pikul2001@mail.ru while participating in such a trip.

chernobyl photos

This Soviet Era sign indicates the entrance to Chernobyl county. Many of the things there stand unchanged since Soviet union times.

chernobyl photos

This is also a sign from Soviet times on one of the buildings in Chernobyl. There is life now in Chernobyl, some people decided to return despite the radiation hazard. The members of this trip have noticed even one building was being renovated.

chernobyl photos

Still people are very rare on the streets of Chernobyl. All the pipes now are on top of the ground, because the soild is nuclear polluted.

chernobyl photos

This is the main square in downtown of Chernobyl.

chernobyl photos

It is the monument to the people who tried to shut down the nuclear station right after the accident happened. Many of the died – some same year (1986) others a little bit later.

chernobyl photos

This is also that monument. On the road to the monument there are a lot of signs warning about nuclear pollution, but trees and bushes grew all over them so it’s possible not to notice such signs. Nature is not afraid of radiation.

chernobyl photos

This is kindergatten kindergarten on the way to Chernobyl in one of the abandoned villages.

chernobyl photos

This is a bedroom in it.

chernobyl photos

Toys are lying all over the place.

Music notes.

chernobyl photos

How is it correct to cross a road?

One more bedroom.

More stories:

Click here to read next random post from English Russia

380 Responses to “Lost City of Chernobyl”

1. Alexandre says:

wow, great work! Greetings from Brazil :o)

• Brandy says:

THE GUESS WHAT THIS IS PICTURE IS A BIRTHING CHAIR. THINK ABOUT WHAT HAPPENED TO ALL THE PREGNANT WOMEN AND BABIES.

• DemonizeR says:

Very intresting….. Greetings from Czech Republic

• Dylan S says:

Nice pictures. truly riveting.
      Greetings from USA!

• tom says:

man….no…it wasnt just those women and children, ENTIRE families were wiped out…by the monsters who rushed to build that reactor

• Rob says:

I’m sorry, but you have no idea what you are talking about. Please learn the facts before posting.

• steve says:

Actually, the design of the reactor was deemed to be faulty… so the poster is correct..

• Colin says:

Steve,

Not entirely true. There was a known flaw in RMBK reactors – a flaw that was ignored by the lead engineer running a test at low power. The reactor wasn’t faulty per se.

A number of errors were made running the test, resulting in hot spots in the reactor core. When the graphite tipped moderator rods were inserted into the reactor as it had effectively gone critical (because SCRAM was turned off more or less), they exploded and blew out 70 or 80 fuel channels. After this, there was no turning back. The reactor underwent a steam explosion that blew the top off the reactor and spread fuel and moderator rods out of the reactor, taking the roof off, and ejecting radioactive material into the atmosphere.

So no, not faulty but badly managed under the situation of the test.

• Gwynhwyfar says:

Excellent site and sobering photos. I’m in the U.S., so it’s nice to have an English website for these. Another one you might like is by Elena Filatova at http://www.angelfire.com/extreme4/kiddofspeed/fourseasons.html

2. curson says:

Thank you for this pictures post.
    It’s very interesting and touching to see all these images of the city.

3. antuan says:

Perfect photos… very emotive place.

Just a question: what’s the difference between Chernobyl and Pripyat? (sorry about the transliteration)

• Valen says:

Pripyt’ is the river near Chernobyl

• Maxime says:

Well actually, there are two cities, Pripyat AND Chernobyl.
        Most of the pictures here come from Pripyat.

• angel medrano says:

Hi maxime, I am angel from Santo Domingo, the Dominican Republic. I directly write you because seem that you know about these cities, I love the history, geografy and all these seemed sciences, so are my passion, please for first I just want to ask you, what can I I do to visit these cities, are there visited for tourits, how dangerous may be visit there there?

Please write me to, angelmedrano24@gmail.com

• angel medrano says:

Please message me to, angelmedrano24@gmail.com

4. Wow, these pictures are fantastic. Did you take these?
    There is something about an abandonded city that I find facinating yet creepy. Keep up the good work!

5. Sauri says:

antuan:
    Chernobyl and Pripyat are different cities, there are 18km between them. Both ones were abandoned. Power plant was in second one. There are also the river named Pripyat.

6. fascinating images. Thank you for sharing this online.

7. Riley says:

I love this site! The photos are fascinating and the comments poignant.

8. ilyich says:

I love your site– keep up the good work.

9. katjusha says:

fantastic photos,i havent seen them although i have large collection of chernobyl photos.

keep doing good work :)

10. Mike Kanto says:

These pictures are great!
    Thanks for posting them.

11. Edie says:

There are places in the US that look a lot like the city of Chornobyl. Detroit comes to mind, as does St. Louis and Cincinnati. This pictures make me sad, especially the kindergarten and worker cultural center. Wish we had some of those here.

• Jon says:

There is nothing, I REPEAT NOTHING in the U.S. that looks anything like Chornobly….. yes there is some blite in various cities but there is nothing in Detroit, St louis and Cincinnati that compares…. you are misleading the readers on this site, and you should be ashamed.

• Just Passing Thru says:

Being a native Cincinnatian I can verify this for my town I grew up in…and still live in as of now.

There is nothing close here that even compares to that.. We’ve got empty apartment buildings and factories due to age/abuse/bad investments/bad areas.. Absolutely nothing even CLOSE to this.. on any street in my city.

• Robin Olson says:

You must never have been to St. Louis if you think these photos look like that. I am sad for the people who used to live in this city and how their lives must have changed however, you should not say things on the internet that are so totally untrue.

12. icepick314 says:

creepy…

was there much radiation in the air after 20 years?

thanks for the fantastic pictures…

from Aomori, Japan…

13. farky says:

Simply amazing photos. I have always wished to visit Russia to see incredible things like this. Great work.

14. 20 years afterwards. You realy go back in time. Still i wouldn’t go there, to scary. But i enyoy looking at the pictures from home.

15. Jason says:

Amazing work. Thank you for sharing.

16. Chad Poirier says:

Certainly a piece of modern history. Unbelievable how well preserved it is.

It reminds me of Half Life 2.

17. Batareykin says:

Приезжайте в гости!

18. steve says:

Would it be safe now to go there? I’ll be going to Kiev and would love to go there to take some photos…

19. Matt says:

Absolutely amazing and strangely inspiring. Thanks for sharing this!

20. oyxter says:

so lonlely, lots of emotion. great stuff.

21. preved says:

невротъебическое сило, в своей давильне усех калеча…

22. Alex says:

Good photos,
    and i see me on them*)))11th photo!!

Pikul is my friend and we were in Pripyt together

PS this is my pictures but not so cool as his
    he is good photograoher

23. Rostsverige says:

Thank you for this. Excellent stuff!

24. sk8er boy says:

Hey! I’m from Russia!
    Very interesting photos, I’d never seen it before!

25. Matt says:

Wow,

This is amazing. I never knew about the lost city of Chernobyl.

Thanks for the great photos.

26. We must avoid this kind of accidents because the nuclear power is one of the most dangerous weapons of the world. The photos are incredible, nice job!

• billy tromput says:

erm, its not a weapon, it’s an energy source… the most productive to date and the future of our energy production. this was a terrible accident, that was created by a series of poor decisions and should not be viewed as the inevitable outcome for all nuclear power plants.

27. jls says:

3rd picture caption is wrong. many pipes run above ground across the former soviet union. it is a common site in many cities. it is NOT because of radiated soil.

that aside, great pictures!

28. wisecrack says:

@farky (no. 29): It’s not in Russia. It’s in the north of Ukraine, close to the border to Belarus.

29. jim_hellas says:

Very good photos! Are you a photographer or somethink?

Anyways… Greetings from Cyprus! :)

30. mikibastar says:

fotos muy buenas, la castrofe que ocurrio no tiene comparacion, increible toda la ciudad abandonada y la selva se la esta tragando lentamente.

31. Lex says:

Та жуть вообще – там дыры метровые ща в саркофаге – фонят так, что кожа темнеет!Правда люди до сих пор там как-то работают даже!
    Симферополь.

32. slapie says:

WOW. Gorgeous and sad. Really incredible series, and beautifully photographed in weather that just perfectly accentuates the mood. Wonderful wonderful job.

33. Lena says:

Удивительный. Я видел по телевидению фотографии области. Я боялся бы посещать.

34. fdsfsd says:

looks like a scene from the Silent Hill movie

35. Alexei says:

cant help crying. it is so horrible a happening and so miserable are the photos of the place.

36. Former Inhabiter says:

Prypiat.
    In fact most of these pictures are taken in .

Towns of and Pripyat are not the same thing.

Anyway, 1000*10x for the photos!

37. Timothy says:

Amazing photos. It is simply overwhelming that something like this could leave such destruction. Great work on the site.

38. mindagaus says:

There are still ‘Chernobyl-like’ reactors in use today– most famous one is in EU at Ignalina in Lithuania. They are trying to shut it down, but with evil and corrupt Russia olligarchs threatening everyone with oil shut-offs, politicians in Lithuania think it should stay open until 2012.

Save us all from corrupt Russian leaders!

39. Justin says:

Amazing, I have been looking for photos of Chernobyl for a awhile now, some of these are breath taking,

• Todd says:

Try going to “pripyat.com”, click “EN” in upper right for translation. Coordinates for Google Earth are:51 24 00 N 30 05 00 E

40. Quart-of-Larry says:

Looks like Lud from Stephen King’s “The Wastelands”. It sparks the imagination, yet it’s forboding. Wow! Damn!

41. DarkStar says:

Politics and polocies aside. This is cool. A modern ghost city.

42. Jay - London says:

“Through the floor there is already a tree grew. Probably a result of some mutation?”

Thanks for the best laugh I’ve had in months!

There is a tree growing through concrete cement outside my flat in Westminster, I better have the background radiation checked out just in case.

43. Shakezoola says:

Incredible, it left me in awe. It’s like a time capsule, everything is left as it was 20 years ago (well, except for some grafiti), I gotta visit the place someday. An abandoned city that’s still has many USSR remenbrants. I wonder how it will look 20 years from now, compared to modern cities.

44. duke says:

very impressive

45. tanja khris says:

Awsome pictures.
    Sad things that we must never forget.
    Regards from Brazil.

46. William says:

great photos!!

i love’it

47. R2-D2 says:

OMFG! this is nice dude. Really nice job, wish i could go there too. I’ll include your site link on my page about abandoned places.
    :) Congrats.

48. Theak says:

This is not true, above ground pipes are very common in Ukraine, it has nothing to do with the polltion what so ever.

Also should this not be The Lost City of Pripyat

49. Dezertir says:

Oh, really? But above-ground-pipes in Chernobyl were erecte only due to polluted ground.

50. radeco says:

I remember… a tragedy…and what we learn?

51. Hellen says:

Dont know what to say – thank you, touching, painfull,,, dont know… different feelings – hello from my childhood, past pain, good and bad memories… I dont know! Looks like a piece of stilllife or frozen life or forgotten life… Anyway people should see pictures like that…

52. Traumaaa from Moscow says:

Great pictures, great work.

53. Rob says:

How anyone can find these photos ‘neat’ or ‘cool’ is beyond my comprehension. When I view these photos of desolation I feel an overwhelming sense of grief and loss for those who lost everything; home, family, even their lives. Thousands have died and more will die. The city is dead because most of the people are gone, and should never return. It should be left as a reminder of how wrong we can be when power (of any kind) is more important than people. Thank you for sharing these horrible photos.

54. Anthesteria says:

Nice photos.
    In addition, some HDR photos, which I made in Pripyat (Chernobyl) this summer:

55. Liz Corde says:

Very touching pictures of a place frozen and now lost in time, a place where everyday people worked, lived and loved. So very sad to see those images but they stand as a reminder to our modern day nuclear problems that our society faces and how fragile life really is. My deepest reguards to the people of Chernobyl of the past and the brave people still there. Peace be with you.

56. panda says:

Chernobyl, one of the most polluted places. Here http://pripyat.com/en/photo_gallery/ – more than 6000 photos from this territory. More than 20 years passed, but knowbody knows exactly what is going on there. Also there are articles, ivestigations, news

57. Fusion says:

Excellent documentary work of a very sad place. Would love to visit and explore. Thanks for sharing… Ian

58. James in New Orleans says:

Thanks for sharing this and risking even going there . Everyone should see this and realize it could happen anywhere they might live . The worst peace time disaster ever and it should never happen again . An entire city rendered useless , millions of lives affected forever , a festering wound on the surface of mother earth and what is being done about it ?

59. Dooked says:

Wow, great work U have done here. It´s great to see that city without risk of being irradiated. Greetings from Germany and Spain.

60. bill says:

reminds me of the movie silent hill with the city

61. Scar says:

It really makes you think why these regular men, just normal guys, put on gas masks, and walked into their death trying to save their loved ones, even if they died in the process.

62. Peter says:

no it is not safe to go there…an Australian 60 Minutes reported died mysteriously of cancer 3 weeks after visiting the just outside the reactor….he had no know cases of cancer. This city is fascinating but i woudlnt recommend anyone going to see the great city itself unless prepared to risk his/her life

63. arni says:

hello
    curently, i’m making a report about chernobyl and these pics is what i’ve searched since weeks.
    but, how dangerous is it now in chernobyl?

regards from switzerland
    dominik

64. Chris Nighorn says:

Those pictures are quite amazing. I did’nt realize how big that place was! Are people actually allowed to go there and walk around?

65. Hello,
    I was visiting your website today and I have just put together a website for the children project that we are doing in Dundee and Angus, Scotland. Would you have any objection if I were to add your website as link from ours? Our URL web address is:-
    Your pictures are fascinating
    Regards,
    Michael Hippisley

66. That guy... says:

Resident Evil Material!!! I wanna Resident Evil game based on Chernobyl! Haha, I can’t believe the forest has grown into the city. It looks more forest-like than a city. Anyway, Awesome Photos.

• Ian naba says:

you do not need Resident Evil game based on Chernobyl.
      Just play S.T.A.L.K.E.R Shadow of Chernobyl for real adventur through the Chernobyl NPP.
      Feel the fear with horrible situation. Lot of mutated creature,,
      This game are based from real Chernobyl. First thing i remember from this game are the junkyard of military vehicle (Chinook helicopters,army trucks,and many more),same with the real conditions.

have fun!!

67. Lado says:

They put on gas masks and tried to save their loved ones because that is human nature. People are, no matter what they may do in the end, just trying to survive and keep what they love alive as well. This is beautiful, and Chernobyl will always be remembered.

68. Cindy says:

How terribly devastating for the families that lived here during the time this took place (in order to have these photos a reality. It has only been recently I stumbled upon a website with the accounts of the accident. I cried when I saw what had happened to these people and the way they were left (if the lived at all) to live out their lives. Thank you for keeping their memories alive.

69. the bull says:

these are soo scary! I wonder what it is like to go there.

70. Kubiszon says:

Very good photos. The most I like “sports equipment” (gym photo)

71. chernobyl says:

Photo gallery of chernobyl

72. Evel U. says:

Those are excellent pictures and it really reminds me of my hometown Chernobyl. The pictures brought back my childhood memories of growing up in the city. If it were not for my family’s move to the United States of America two years earlier, we wouldn’t be living right now so I am very thankful.

Evel U.

73. NIKKI N. says:

these pictures are the best i have seen my students are really intrigued by what they see

74. hazzamanazz says:

Also, has to be noted that nature find his way itself, no doubt. Just one year after the event, the vegetation was already growing again.
    But the trees and vegetation that grows are radioactive, even the dust is radioactive.

And it’s spreads with the wind, BTW.

Also, Belarus pays a very heavy price, since 35% of their territory was compromised.

Surprisely enough, the new generation don’t even had a clue what happend in the Soviet times. I know, some things bad we tend to forget, but this is the best way to repeat history again (yes, Marx was wrong, History repeat itself sometimes!).

[ ]‘s

• Collin says:

I, at least, bothered to learn of it and intend to teach others of it, and have been a longstanding (since the age of about 9) opponent of nuclear power.(And stupid mistakes, my own included.) Also on your sentiment, history repeats itself all the time. Solomon, who live thousands of years ago said that everything has happened many times before and will happen many times again, and who can argue against that?

As for the spread by wind, does anyone know how far it spread? To Canada in the west and Mongolia in the east, that’s a pretty wide impact zone. And yet, people haven’t learned their lesson yet. We keep getting warnings (first in warning form, then in petty disasters, then in horrible disasters, next comes what we’ve been warned about. Good luck surviving, I’ll be in my lead bunker if you need me! Izh ayt paei nymi-man! (“I wish peace to all man kind.” In my own language, still in progress. )

75. [...] Ölü Şehir Çernobil (tıklayın) [...]

76. Omar Khan says:

thank you very much for putting this on the internet and sharing it with the billions who care, but aren’t yet able to visit and be moved by this echo of history

77. jahm says:

thanks alot for sharing your beautiful pictures.

78. [...] En annan länk…. [...]

79. katie says:

very strong images, since i really realized about what happened in chernobyl i have looked for information about radiation, the children that were born after that and all those things. i would love to go there to feel it from my own skin.

80. Ira says:

After looking at those pictures for my design research, im gonna call my mother and ask her what she did, when she was pregnant with me in 1986. crazyyyy…scary and sad. Thank you so much for posting those pictures.

81. maria says:

Towards the end, it gets really creepy. And all those trees growing in the city itself. Great photos man.

82. Jason says:

Very haunting yet beautiful. The overcast grey skies make the pictures seem even more bleak.

83. Kelly Sue says:

Wow…This is one of the most amazing things I’ve ever seen. It’s incredibly moving and very interesting. I hope to one day see it in person. Thanks for sharing!

84. metasin says:

cool pics – very interesting. thanks.

85. Whitchity Man says:

Chernobyl would be a cool place to go. I’d love to go there. With a protective suit, of course…

86. Ivana Pee says:

mamzing!!! grettings from AMERICA!!! tehehhehehe yah, but good photography, its stunning!

87. andrey says:

just imagine i have run over these streets in my 13! it is so strange to see my childhood flashbacks now… such first sex and so on… now i am 35 and live in moscow, russia and working for feemale glossy mag… can you inagine! oh noooooooooo! it is not meeee… who i am?

88. MarkR says:

The Chernobyl Exclusion Zone is a fascinating place to visit.

I visited the area for two days in June 2006 with a former resident of Pripyat.
    We got a tour of the Chernobyl Plant (including the Reactor 4 control room),
    several of the abandoned villages, and Pripyat. I have posted a photo journal
    of my trip at:

89. mitja says:

I WAS WONDERING HOW SAFE WAS GOING INTO THE CITY. WERENT YOU AFRAID OF RADIATION. DO YOU NOW FEEL ANY DIFFEREN ANY SIDE AFFECTS. ANYONE WHO HAS BEEN THERE CAN YOU TELL ME HOW SAFE IS IT.
    SORY BECAUSE MY ENGLISH IS BAD. THANKS FOR ALL THE ANSWERS
    continental_bentley@yahoo.com

• MarkR says:

The background radiation in Pripyat is definitely higher than normal, but is not dangerous for short periods of time. Since most visitors are in the city for no more than 4-5 hours, it is typically not an issue. Radiation levels are quite variable within the Zone and Pripyat. In the amusement park, we measured around 300 microroentgens/hour, took one step to the left and measured over 1000 microroentgens/hour. There are some areas with higher radiation that are dangerous, but your guide should know where those areas are and keep you away from them.

I knew the situation regarding radiation when I went to the Zone and was not afraid – if I was, I would not have gone. I trusted that the people I was with would keep me away from any truly dangerous areas. I have had no side effects from my time in the Zone. I know some people that travel there approximately once a month that have suffered no side effects.

It is safe to travel in the Zone as long as you pay attention to your guide. It is best to stay on paved surfaces (streets and sidewalks) as they typically hold less radiation than vegetation.

90. haxti says:

Hi,

the pictures are great… hope there will be more? greate job…

91. Celina says:

i don´t see nathing, it´s very mad
    and veryvery bad

92. carloswitt says:

What a pity!

Every time I see this photographs, I think the humankind we are wrong…

93. MD says:

А я йиду в Чорнобиль!Заебысь погуляю!!!!

94. Tyler says:

Wow! that is crazy. That would probably be the scariest place on earth. imagine if you were alone in that city? What kind of animals roam there?

95. Whitchity Man says:

I think animals like boars and birds roam there.

And probably Fluke Man.

96. Adam says:

Intrigued as to what a place like this must feel like? Especially if spent there alone for a few days.

Awesome pictures and thanks for sharing them.

97. Stalky from Hungary says:

These pictures are shocked me, but great job!

Greetings from Hungary.

98. Sanna says:

Great pictures! But not everyone is from Chernobyl, aren’t they? At least that one where the reactor can be seen on top of the builduing must be from Pripyat. And I think the yellow big dipper is also from Pripyat, not Chernobyl… am I right?

99. Daniel says:

An abandoned town … It is so sad to see.

100. splendidd says:

Well hi,
    these pictures are shocked me.But i really interested in the look of Chernobyl at days of now.
    If any1 know where can i find pictures like that message me =)
    [hc_splendyd@freemail.hu] ty :)
    and bye

101. J says:

Very nice pictures & documentation, thanks (dugg^)

102. shaun says:

all i can say is wow these pictures are amazing well done i am going to visit chernobyl in 6 months cant wait

103. fatfreddyfreak says:

Great pics thanks.

104. the one says:

es impresionante ver a traves de estas fotografias las ruinas de la ciudad despues de la explosion dela planta, causa temor pensar que esto pudiera volver a suceder en cualquier lugar donde se ubique una central nucleoelectrica, el tiempo que debe pasar para que quede descontaminado, etc…espero que la humanidad no se arrepienta del daño que le causamos al planeta (y tontamente a nosotros mismos)

105. Ksusha says:

Hey, i’m from Russia and i’ve never thought that this city looks like that, I think u understand that it’s just not shown on our TV. Thank you for opening my eyes…

106. Ksusha's lesbian partner says:

I love you Ksusha – make love to me baby. I want that poontang on my lips and let me eat your clit off.

107. The Communist says:

Russia is such a beauiful place and one of our finest cities shown here gives me such pride what we Russians have done for the place 70 years.

Long live stalin!

108. pursi says:

Ей това просто е най-впечатляващото нещо на света !

109. duja says:

Awesome pictures and thanks for sharing them.
    Chernobyl is a tragedy and best example of human idiocy.
    Best regards from Sarajevo, Bosnia

110. Anuyta says:

Hi! I’m from Ukraine… Chernobyl is so horrible… I’m afraid about our future…

111. Bradley says:

I can’t belive they let people live and work there still. It is funny how we think we can control everything and then something like this happens and lets us know how small we really are. Then we soon we forget about it and don’t learn from our mistake….

112. James says:

I don’t think the tree grew through the floor due to mutation. Generally speaking, plants will grown through very solid things. Grass grows up throuch tarmaced roads for instance.
    Anyway, stunning photos. I was blown away by the school pic with the gasmasks.

113. G.I. Joe says:

Excellent site. Imagine if this would have happened all across Russia, the cold war would have ended even sooner than it did and the world would be better off because of it. (Noone likes a rooskie, afterall!) ;D

114. Dean says:

Very touching photo collection. I might have a little insight into your French artist paintings. In Hiroshima, after the bomb was dropped by the United States, shadows of Japanese citizens were left on walls, effectively showing what they were doing at the time the bomb went off. The walls burned around them but if they were close enough a shadow was imprinted where the burn was not as severe. It has been popular imagery for artists when they try to convey a sense of loss and tragedy for innocent people caught up in a disaster. I have no doubt that these paintings are meant as a tribute to the once bustling population of Chernobyl. The city stands as a reminder to the rest of the world that life can change forever at any moment.

Chris Dean- USA

115. Renata Medeiros says:

Excelentes fotos… belíssimas!!
    Sou pesquisadora brasileira e estava procurando notícias sobre Chernobyl, fico feliz por tê-las encontrado.
    Um abraço!

• Renata Medeiros says:

Excelentes fotos… belíssimas!!
      Um abraço!

São Paulo – BRASIL

116. Michael Ali says:

Looking at the recent pictures of Chernobyl and its like looking at a place in which you would see in a horry movie. I cant help but wonder what it must be like to live amongst the ever present danger of radiation, no escaping from it from its continuing suffication that is holds on the once vibrant city, a city that now sits dormant apart from the few people which brave the conditions so that the nuclear plant can be maintained. I just like to say that I respect those people which tried to prevent the accident from happening and in doing so, sacrificed their own lives and also to all which have passed away over the years, God be with you all.

Michael Ali (England-Great Britain)

117. natalia says:

hola soy española de sevilla y me gustaria decir que las imagenes estan muy bien y que me a imprecionado todo lo que paso en chernobil, ha sido alucinante. Un fuerte abrazo desde españa!!!.

118. sharp says:

this stuffs is really interseting i want to check it out one day

gareth

new zealand
    geefunk78@hotmail.com

119. americo says:

excelentes fotos, lastima que haya ocurrido una desgracia asi, para poder crear un arte en ellas (las figuras)

saludos desde mexico

120. americo says:

y sobre todo una plegaria a todos nuestros hermanos ue ahora sufren por la radiacion.

121. It would be damn scary to visit that place at night. Anyway, I’m a proud commie and I’d like to see all those great singns.

Long live Stalin.

• Joel from Florida says:

Dear killian, not all proud communists glorify Stalin’s accomplishments…and North Korea doesn’t strive to be a Worker’s Paradise by any means. I have a feeling you are the sort that also banishes dissidents to China, which the left sees as the country which “talks the communist talk, and walks the capitalist walk”.

Nonetheless, if every proud American were to move to the heartland, I’m sure the remaining lands could offer some sweeping reforms and bring much progress to a backward nation.

As to the subject at hand, I would also take pride in being able to preserve and display such a piece of Soviet nostalgia in my home, to match the flag. Part of me is satisfied and somehow glad of the isolation which the area has been subject to, but another part of me is worried for the damages that may be done when the area becomes repopulated by peoples without much respect.

• Strelok says:

Joel From Finland:
      you are a proud commie, like many, many others, because you haven’t lived the reality of it, and you don’t even know what it is or what it’s ideology is, all goverments that had claimed to be it, haven’t even come close to it. So, we have to deal with wannabes, socially disfunctional people like you, what a burden… Before you make any comment about my about my origins, let me tell you, i lived in Cuba for 20 years and HAD TO study a lot about socio-political systems. I suggest you to go by Cuba, with no other monetary source than an average job over there, abide by their laws, and eat what you can get with your work… Let me see afterwards for how long you keep being a commie… LOL

122. alan says:

Its very sad what happend with the Chernobl´s people, i had the opotunitto meet some of them, because a used to live in Cuba, and several times went to a center where they are.
    I will always remember the face of the children, thank you for post this photos, its a oportunity to the people know about the russian history and how brave is his people.

123. Bhanu says:

Beautiful photoblog. One thing that can be concluded is, if left undisturbed, nature takes care of itself, the way the forest have come within the city, its unparalleled greenery!!

124. Namtlieu says:

This is a great entry. I linked it in my recent post about the most interesting abandoned places in the world at my own blog: http://www.loflblog.com/2007/08/worlds-most-interesting-and-most.html

125. Felix says:

what a great pictures!
    I love it, thanks for showing us,
    I’d like to be there,too and French drawing is amazing,

126. sir ed says:

August 13,2007
    Earth
    Monday
    Dawn

Chernobyl? Lost City or City of Hope?

Do we derive sadness or hope…?

The hope in the Birth perhaps of something new or better
    the building on the sanity that averted the global reality
    of what would have or could have been much worse?
    Do we dwell on the omen or take courage in all those
    who fought for and won a battle for the dream?

The Dream…

Imagine…..

All we are saying is let there be harmony

Give Harmony a chance!

sir

127. please traslate my comentary my eanglish no is fain.
    Me parecen magnificas las fotos, la verdad es que mi profesor de biocincia hizo un comentari hacerca de esta ciudad y me llamo la atencion, pero nunca pence que la problematica de esta ciudad fuera tan garve y que alli no vive nadie. Quiero saber, si hay poblacion viviendo alla y cuanto tiempo podria vivir? y en cuanto tiempo podra ser habitable o no peligrosa esta ciudad por la radiacion?
    Tanks. Yuneiry Cardoso. Bogota-Colombia

128. Please to translate my English is not good.

Son magnificas las fotos, mi profesor de biociencias hizo un comentario hacerca de esta ciudad y me intereso, pero nunca pence que la problematica de esta ciudad fuera tan garve y que alli no vive nadie. Quiero saber, si hay poblacion viviendo alla y cuanto tiempo podria vivir? y en cuanto tiempo podra ser normal y no peligrosa por la radiacion?
    En espera de una pronta respuesta.
    Thanks. Yuneiry Cardoso. Bogota-Colombia

129. nicholas howard says:

why is it all abandoned all those gas masks in the school

130. Afrojapa says:

Krazy photos!!
    Thats the reality of the world!!

131. GH says:

Wow… those are breath-taking photos. I have never seen such a photographic portrayal of hopelessness in all my life. I hope to go to Pripyat one day & see for myself what nuclear devestation has wrought. Thanks again,
    -GH

132. Neltron says:

Thanks for this, now I’ve seen Chernobyl without having to take the risk and go there.

133. Mary says:

These pictures are heartbreaking. I just keep coming back to the school, all the gas masks on the floor…

I’d like to say that for those fascinated with the Chernobyl disaster, STALKER (the game by GPG and THQ) has some incredible detail of the city of pripyat… as in, those pictures of the gym – I’ve walked through those halls and I’ve seen that art, through that game.

Thankyou.

134. Strelok says:

Ok guys, you need to see this website and prepare yourselves, this is precisely what i was talking about, many people should pay for this, but absolutelly not the ones that suffered the most from it:

135. Some of these photos are unremarkable, but many say so much more than words can say. Also, a lot of them stand alone, quite well, as interesting art, regardless of the historical/socialogical connection. This posting is much appreciated. I may use a few on my NON-commercial website, http://sumshee.com , along with some of my poetry.

136. Beautiful art as well as somber documentation. This posting is appreciated.
    I may use a few of these photos on my NON-commercial website, along with my poetry.

137. ivonne ordóñez parra says:

Oh my God! It´s a wonderful empty city, the life is gone and there aren´t kids, Where are its inhabitants?? and what about the guilties?? are they in a jail?? or at the presidents´houses??? and their history responsability????

138. unihiir says:

what kind of people you are – fascinating city, wonderful empty city etc?

it is a disaster: thousands of dead people, ten thousands of mutilated people (incl children); people who were forced to abandon their homes

it is a tragedy, there is nothing fascinating in it

• kybarsepp says:

Sul on tragdia seisukohalt tiesti igus, aga siiski on see linn kohapeal olles ka “fascinating”. Unustamatu elamus. Ja hoiatav.

139. John says:

I find Pripyat both fascinating and Tragic, more tragic then anything, we need to learn as much as we can from what happenned here, I believe it is a warning!
    Anyone that thinks Cherny was cool, should read a book called “Voices from Chernobyl” by Svetlana Alexievich
    Not for the Faint hearted! I cryed when I read it.

140. Alex says:

Thanks for sharing the photos, they’re haunting. Anyone interested in reading a little further about the subject should check out Wormwood Forest, by Mary Mycio, about how nature is reclaiming the city.

141. James P says:

WoW. I wonder if someone will be looking at a photo essay of our own cities one day. Perhaps they will be underwater, or beneath the desert.

142. TorontoSteve says:

Fantastic pictures!!

143. me says:

great pics!thank you!

144. korean says:

Just one mistake destroies big city jj
    and the photo is cool

145. Giotto Hernndez says:

Realmente es uno de los desastres ms grandes de la humanidad. Debemos buscar formas ms seguras de generar energa. Las fotos son testimonio fiel para que las generaciones futuras, recuerden lo que puede causar una planta nuclear si llegara colapsar como la de Chernobil. Saludos desde Caracas.

146. Mike in the USA says:

Read this

It makes it sound like it wasn’t all that bad. I think they are wrong. But of course, THEY are the Australian Uranium Association…. They must know everything.

147. Boo says:

God will judge you one day…..

148. dragonpl says:

Very good photo.Thank you.(Bardzo dobre zdjecia).Lukasz from Poland.

149. karol lasia says:

“This is the view on the Chernobyl Power Plant. As it can be seen it stands right in the middle of the city.”

Actually it’s a few kilometers outside the city. I’ve been last year and it was a few minutes drive from the reactor to Pripyat.

150. Vinterskygge says:

Perfect! Loved the pics… so sad, yet do beautiful…

151. Balazs Faluvegi says:

Great pics! But there are huge mistakes in the explanations.

The Power Plant is NOT IN THE MIDDLE of the town, it’s about 5 kms from it. (see it on Google Earth if you don’t believe me)

There isn’t any kind of mutation in trees growing inside buildings, that’s just nature taking back the city.

I’ve been to the Chernobyl area this may. Here are the pics I’ve made:

(text is in Hungarian)

152. Balazs Faluvegi says:

Great pics! But there are huge mistakes in the explanations.

First of all the pics are about Pripjaty, which is nearer to the power plant, than Chernobyl itself. Pripjaty wasn’t a city, it had about 60 000 residents..

I’ve been to the Chernobyl area this may. Here are the pics I’ve made:

(text is in Hungarian)

153. Chernobyl – Voted for the worst for a tourist vaction :-)

154. Jimi says:

It’s just… It’s amazing how chilling a city looks with no people. The photos are really beautiful and eerie, when i get my passport that’s gonna be one of my first stops. Thank you for the pictures.

155. David says:

Que desastre ocurrido , por darle importancia a las armas y a la muerte del enemigo , sin darse cuenta y poner atencion en la vida , en el crear , en la humanidad , no en la muerte , en el destruir.

156. Chris says:

These photos are totally awesome! How was it like to be in a completely abandoned city, pretty creepy huh? Damn, some could lose their mind! :D
    Mayby someday I`m gonna visit Pripyat..

157. Bo Nitus says:

Very sad pictures. Eerily similar to the environments in Silent Hill 3, particularly the hospital and amusement park.

158. Wow!! i am suprised about what had happened..The pictures are really sad….me and my class mates and teacher are reading about this in english ….we really liked the story .

159. korrey says:

It is very touching to see how Nature can continue without humans.

Great work, great photos.

160. Thiago says:

I love these pictures so much, they’re so great. They encouraged me to visit this place.

And I’d like to visit this place by myself.

Can you give me some information on flights? Prices? Where to go?

A reply would be greatly appreciated.

161. Janaudy says:

hello i am french and i want to know what’s your website
    for the paintings on walls in chernobyl

i know elena filatova or kid of speed

please answer me

thanks

162. CapnSonic says:

Yeah, you’re right…. :P

163. chernobil says:

i am from turkey but i was wondering about Chernobyl and the town. I looked the pictures and i want to see the Lost City. Is anybody living there?

164. Heather says:

Hey, I’m doing a speech on Chernobyl and any more information would be great if any of you could help me out. There aren’t many books on the subject…

165. toms castro says:

never more.

166. MP says:

Very powerful pictures. Thanks for sharing.

167. Jennifer says:

A co-worker and myself have done a lot of research on this horrible accident at Chernobyl. There is so much information on the web. See kiddofspeed.com, that’s where we had started. It’s very interesting but very, very sad. Thanks for the add’l pictures.
    Jennifer

168. dvb says:

i want sum of those radioactive drugs!!

169. Mira says:

Wow! Fantastic fotos, great work, I want to see it live.
    Thanks for sharing with us.

Mira, Czech Republic

170. matt says:

Hello, I have just one question, is there living anybody now in the area of chernobyl bećause those pictures are horrifying, Ghost town. Thanks for answering

171. Atya says:

Pictures are very suggestives. In my opinion nature is more and more accomodating than humans are. People think human being is the most developed organization on earth but in fact it is the nature itself.

172. impike says:

awe-inspiring, afflicted, ghostly,

173. Brandon says:

Wow, great photos! Very informative.

174. Gubinsky says:

Amazing pictures. A radioactive ghost town. USSA

175. enxian says:

Saludos desde Mexico, que lamentable trajedia pero nos ayuda a reflexionar sobre las grandes consecuencias que se generan por no entender la magnitud de saber manejar substancias tan peligrosas.

176. Profesors says:

Tomorrow is 22nd anniversary of this very sad event. I was 13 when it happened and I remember the talks about disaster. But there was almost nothing about how dangerous it was. Soviet TV showed only technical aspects of rescue activities.
    Anyway – big respect to all victims and people involved.

177. Kate says:

This is amazing.. I have a morbid fascination with tragic events such as this. Things like this intrigue me. Great job!

-Kate from the States

• Robin says:

I was 12 when the disaster happened. I remember being in class when they turned the news on. I was very scared, because my uncle worked at a Nuclear facility. I have not heard much more about it until recently with the release of the new movie about it. These pictures are terrible, and make me want to go visit and do something for the people who have chosen to go back to their homes.

178. Andrew says:

While the world was watching very close when the melt down happened, many have forgotten. I for one will never forget the images of the fire fighters on the roof of the reactor dumping sand on the core. I am sure none of those people are alive today.
    I also saw motion picture shot on emulsion film by the KGB of the streets just after the melt down. You could see flashed of Gama Radiation on the film and knew that the KGB agents we also as good as dead from the exposure.
    These photos are a great insight to where the town is now and how the vegetation has taken over. I couldn’t imagine how the people of the town reacted when they realised exactly what had occurred. It would be interesting to see where some of the people have settled and the long term effects.
    While this event was a disaster, scientists can study the long term effects on the environment and wildlife that has taken over the area.
    I am planning to go to Chernobyl to see and experience the romance of the disaster.

179. colin woodley says:

absolutely amazing pictures totaly captivated colin from melbourne australia.

180. androo says:

awesome collection of images!! i would love to visit there and do some urban exploration…

181. John says:

Thanks for these pictures, wow, that is so interesting

182. paul says:

looking at your pics – one could almost be on the set of a post apocolyptic movie! awesome pics!

183. Craig says:

Now my son believes the background in Call of Duty 4 is real.

184. oygres says:

grazie

185. Darkant says:

Great pictures,dramatically fascinating.

186. clover says:

I strongly admire your courage for taking those pictures! I will be interested to do a day trip too! However, I am a paranoid person, I may be thinking I might be radiated after the trip.

From these pictures, I can imagine what the town of Chernobyl used to look like. It must be teeming with life, laughter of the children! These pictures were really poignant and must have brought back a lot of sad memories to those victims.

This may be the predicament of our future Earth when the population is zero?

187. lukas says:

Thank inprecionante the images, great photos, I would like to know if is to decontaminate the site
    ?

I would like to thank response

188. lukas says:

Thank imprecionantes the photos, great, I would like to know if is to decontaminate the site?

189. Zelator says:

In Romania is a nuclear plant named Cernavoda…..Ukraina also, have Chernobyl…..Strange coincident…..I hope to do not share the same fate of the doomed ukrainean nuclear plant!

• Lucian says:

The Canadians built the Cernavoda reactor in Romania and they say it’s very high-tech. I would be worried about the Bulgarian ones built with old soviet technology.

190. Brenna says:

Hello from America.
    These pictures are incredible. It truly sets the mood. It’s so lonely.
    While looking through them, I couldnt help but think hopw cool it would be if they shot a movie there. Of course, they would never allow it….

191. novalis says:

These pictures are “wonderful” because they are enlightening. There’s a window to the past, a warning to the present (maintain your goddamn power plants) and- a whole host of reassuring ghosts: scars of humanity DO fade away. People need to see and understand these things according to their own terms.

Where I live, nuclear powered ships are not allowed to come into harbour- and there are certainly no nuclear power plants. When I went overseas for the first time and saw a nuclear power plant, I was shaking in my boots! I think we need to keep human frailty in mind when we look at the huge industrial monsters our strange brains have created.

192. Lucian says:

Hello from Australia,

I was 10 when it happened and I was living in Romania at the time. I remember my parents didn’t allow me 2 go to school for a few weeks. I had to stay indoors. I would say that probably it was a bit safer considering all the comunist-type blocks were built of thick concrete with steel bars running through them.
    Anyway, no one was sure of anything those days and our comunist regime didn’t tell the people much. We were just playing it by the ear.

1986 a very bad year for humankind, shuttle Challanger has exploded as well during take-off.
    We probably witness the fail of our most advanced technologies that year.

We still have a long way to go

193. Jorge says:

Incredible shocking pictures, they show how dangerous humans are…even for them selves, awesome work with those pictures, by the way, were you exposed to radiation during your visit to Chernobil?? Greetings from Mexico

194. Jose Angel Gálvez says:

La simple vista de una ciudad muerta es orrible en si misma. Estas imagenes nos deben recordar de lo que somos capaces de hacer y donde podemos terminar si no tenemos un poco de cuidado con nuestro mundo. El mio, el de mi progimo. Soy padre recientemente y no sé que mundo es el que eredará mi hija. Chernobil tardará 24.000 años en ser un sitio seguro, demasiado para mi hija.

195. zamzama says:

those pictures reminds me of the nostalgic yet terrified incident at chernobyl…

i like ur site..
    keep up the good work

196. Maxime says:

Really interesting, photos are really good (they were took for show us that the city is totally empty … there’s nobody on the benches, there are dolls left on the floor …etc)
    It was a horrible thing .

Well, greetings from France .

197. Dorin says:

Radiation caused nothing visible, it’s the aging of the building materials, and nature (trees, plants, some animals maybe) that affects the outside of the buildings. Yet this place looks like it does because of the people who went down there and looted anything they found of value (including toilet seats). Otherwise, it would look like the inhabitants disappeared and it all got dusty and rusty. Nothing more. And so it was, until some time in 2001.

Peace

198. Luca from Verona says:

I’m 31 years old. I’m Italian. When Chernobyl exploded I was 9 years old. I remember all of what happened and the feeling of a colossal catastrophe happened. The feeling of spread fear in our hearts. The feeling of defeat of human being. The uncertainty about the future. The woe for all Chernobyl’s victims.
    Chernobyl is a name that still today arouses dark shadows in my mind. Chernobyl is the defeat of man. It was one of history’s big mistakes. These photos are unique. They evoke tears to the eyes. Hope that memory is preserved and future generations don’t forget.

199. nick says:

these are amasing pictures there really interesting its weird all the toys and stuff

200. Дмитрий says:

Пипец фоты. Я б конечно хотел побывать в этом городе! Кстати, в России много подобного можно увидеть, особенно в маленьких городах…

201. matt says:

strange how well the city is in terms of physical structure i thought it would be very much more destroyed after a nuclear explosion its very sad thing to see yet its slightly disturbing but manages to grab my attention

202. dalton says:

that is from call of duty 4 right that was awful but i wouldent mind visiting the place…

203. Gurtek-Singh says:

nice pictures……………………

204. austin says:

woo hoo

205. Francis Lemke says:

…and they wish to build many more nuclear power plants. Hell, they can’t even keep the Banks and stock markets from melting down 5 or 6 times a century. How do they expect to operate so many more reactors without having meltdowns? There must be better ways.

206. Comandante Bigotes says:

So those are some of the photos that were used by the makers of Call of Duty 4 to create the level of the sniping mission in Chernobil.

207. Oz says:

Doyou need government access to get inside chernobyl, or can u just go with a mask?

208. Inna-Viktoriya says:

So sad. Photos of Chornobyl never fail to sadden me. My family comes from Kiev and Poltava, and I have heard horrible stories of the disaster.

209. Evolution GSR says:

Amazing work.

210. manupravda says:

потрясающие а вто же время сташные фотографии…

211. Joe R says:

Regarding those black paintings scattered around the city:

“Graffiti artists said to be from Germany and Belarus have gone round the town drawing silhouettes of the missing population.” BBC News

Picture 4.

Oh, and the Ferris wheel and surrounding area was never used. It was set top open just days after the accident.

212. Óscar says:

Oh! dios mio cuando pienso el el call of duty 4 no me imagino como habrá sido la explosion en realidad.Por cierto la fase ta muy chula la recomiendo!!!

Buen post y buenas fotos…..interesantes…….

213. Jennifer R. says:

U STGINK I FEEL SO BAD

214. gregi says:

Very great photos.it’s amazing.

215. Fiorella says:

I dont understand, no entiendo como la gente esta va ahi y no se muere ( a hacer fotos) NO ENTIENDO , besos

216. Eric Clark says:

Hello from Yuma Arizona USA
    Wow, I remember I was 13 yrs old when that happened. It is interesting to see these photos

217. Amazing how the place is frozen in time. Wonderful photography by the way. I would be scared to go there and get those photos. Radiation is not something I want to be close to.

218. I.G. says:

Very good photos, the pic of the gas masks on the floor is probably the most impressive for me.
    Greetings from Spain.

219. fgf says:

fits with requiem for a dream

220. Marcin says:

Really great pictures, well done to the photographers.
    It has a been a lifelong dream of mine to visit the city one day, it bring a lot of emotions just looking at those photos. I was 4 years old and in Poland when this happened, became really sick because of the radiation. Currently I’m staying in South Africa, such a trip is not easy.

221. Onanator says:

Terrible images. What a disaster. But at the end, the live fights for its place and the forest takes the city. The wilderness reclaim what is its. NEVER MORE.

222. chem teacher says:

Thanks ,It’s useful for my student

Thailand

223. Roxana says:

le temo mas al abandono que a la destruccion……
    Es realmente espelusnante, y triste a la ves.
    Cuidemos muestro medio, de lo contrario donde llegaremos, a ser un mundo como el de las fotos?……….

224. Attila says:

Well-composed, expressive photos! Great work! Thank you for making and sharing them!

Greetings from Hungary

225. cihan says:

bu çernobil bizide vurdu be

226. Robert O-Kyitinen says:

This is so beautiful and so sad photo collection.
    When I was looking these pics… I was crying.
    Det är ledsamt att se!

227. otaner says:

When did you take this photographs of Chernobyl,in what year, it was recently¿

did you sick or ill, after you have left the city¿

Have you visited a doctor later¿

Finally, where are you from¿ American, Rusian or another.¿

please send your answers, if you can, to my mail box:

arte009@hotmail.com, if you don’t understand spanish (my mail is in spanish) please copy the name over your adrees box. Get me back soon and thanks!

228. otaner says:

I recomend you to see “LA NOCHE DEL FIN DEL MUNDO” an excelent documentary produced in Spain (My country) by chanel 4. It has been translated to english so you haven’t got any problem to see it.

I’m really interesting in Chernobyl and all about the effects of radiation in humans. Your answers will be important for my researches.

thanks a lot again, and get me back!

arte009@hotmail.com

229. Cagri says:

This is so sad :( Greetings from Turkey ..

230. nagesh rao says:

I simply agree with you. You have shown so heart touching tragic moments of the city and plant and they see it as a time pass entertainment. Whoever say they enjoyed seeing these photos i too join with you in condemning.

231. Jay Scraz says:

Heartbreaking and strangely moving…
    This is my favourite website! Keep at it!

232. kpzk says:

could it be that banksy has been there spraying those weird graffiti :D

233. Greciette Pavez says:

Amazing photos of Chernobyl… incredible…I just can believe that ghost town exists….thanks for the pictures…maybe you can create an account on flickr.com for post them and see them more frequently.

my deepest regards from Chile, SouthAmerica.

234. Peter says:

Are all this things untouched od did they made any changes for tourists?

***Hello from Slovakia***

235. Mark says:

Hey! Thanks for these and all of the other photos/links. This is really fascinating and I enjoyed looking at them. I love photography and video. Maybe I’ll do something similar – like “Abandoned North Carolina” or something. Thanks again.

Mark

236. lurdes says:

es una ciudad fantasma

237. stefan says:

thank you for posting this photos next week i have a presentation @ school about tscherno/tschornobyl this could help me to get a good mark ^^ !

238. Laura says:

hola queria saber si esas si esas fotos se encuentran en Flickr y donde puedo observar mas fotos sobre esto.

Felicidades son excelentes fotos

Gracias por la informacion que puedan darme

Laura

desde Caracas, Venezuela

239. Grupo de trabalho de filosofia says:

ya ta giro, engraçado gostei, tem imagens interessantes e giras, e engraçadas, né benny e joana?

240. digga says:

NO IT DOESN’T!
    Chernobyl and Pripyat are two cities. Chernobyl is just plant area, Pripyat is the city near it. do not distort the facts, please!

241. Ricky says:

my god, can you imagine actually going there in real life and seeing it, hearing the sounds of that place and breathing the air from there, what I wouldnt give to spend one day there.

My friends and family think I am crazy but I have a deep fascination with Chernobyl for some odd unexplained reason and would give anything to actually see it in real life before I die/ and before they slap the huge new structure around it.

radiation doesnt scare me, Ive spent 16 months in Iraq and been in combat etc, I have a healthy respect for it but not fear of it. My personal view is that something will finally get us all sooner or later, after all nobody lives forever and everything you do in life has risks.

242. Bender says:

a scary movie in that place will be so perfect, nice ant tetric

243. Jack Loring says:

Hey man, im just wondering, what airport did you use?im going to be going there soon.

244. Alex says:

In April 1986 I was in Kiev finishing my last year of high school. Now, these photos give me creeps. Especially because all those signs, things, architecture is so familiar — I grew up surrounded by the ones very much alike. That’s why it’s so easy to imagine people who’d lived there and then suddenly had to leave at once and never return. And the place remained with the time stopped.

Like you can travel in time except you can’t see people, only places…

245. ohnie says:

i learned a lot in chernobyl…great pictures….

246. Abhishek says:

Thanks a lot for sharing those pictures…those were amazing experience…as if I was seeing it live.

Abhishek from India was here !!!

247. Paul T says:

Great photos! We visited Chernobyl Zone (http://tour2kiev.com/en/Chernobyl.html) few weeks ago. Unfortunately they don’t allow you to go to many places that we were reading about (such as Reactor 4 or buildings’ roofs). At least could learn it from your site! Thanks!

248. 胡一刀 says:

一場無法估計的科學大災難!人員被迫逃難,生病,死亡,致癌.放棄土地,放棄人類在那裡建設的一切.所有物種繼續承受難以消退的放射性物質. WHAT A TRAGEDY !

249. yiwu says:

Hello..the world. Welcome to Yiwu.

250. utkarsh says:

what happened in Chernobyl that is something we all have to understand the world is being destroyed people,plants & all other living beings are getting destroyed.we as humans have lost Pripyat completely Chernobyl has left such a huge impact & getting it back is not possible it will be not possible for us to regain back atleast in this century and the 1 coming after

251. carlos says:

That photos are amazing! i really thank you for posting them and for having the courage to go there and take them. The history of Chernobyl is such interesting to me and i felt sadness watching this photos, although i have never been there, hope one day i can travel to see this in person. Keep sharing this amazing things with all of us!
    Regards from Mexico.

252. amazing photographs, Russia is a wonderful place, but there is one are I would not be keen on visiting.

253. tyler says:

it is terible that it happened

254. Amazing photos, I’m impressed you went there personally and took them in the first place. Isn’t that really Dangerous or am i wrong?

255. enrike says:

i like this photografics is very interestin

256. tanya says:

i must ov been very protected as a child cuz up untill today, 31/10/09 i never heard ov chernobyl.. my heart melts and im deeply saddened by what iv read.. my heart goes out to every one who suffeerd by this horrific tragedy..x

257. Gert says:

My mother in law had a compensation payment the other day for this tragedy, she is Russian, at least!!! Wow terrible accident

258. Bhaarat says:

This is all like call of duty 4 brapp

259. frangollo says:

Está claro que debemos desaparecer para dar paso a una especie más inteligente como pasó con los dinosaurios.

260. Dequane says:

Is the city still abandoned?

261. Marvin says:

Picture No.: 71 shows the DUGA / Woodpecker Phased array radar installation on the horizon. Man ! How BIG that thing is ! ( shown elsewhere in this site)

262. elno says:

stunning pictures. i want to see this for myself!

263. elno says:

though, i heard something about that the grafity was painted by people from germany, trying to fill the city with people again.

264. mabukpixels says:

thanks for sharing the photos
    a dreamed place for shutter bugs
    this place its like a living museum of the past

265. andrè says:

Impressive, scary and fascinating …
    Chernobyl is the Pompei of the XX century.

266. BEE says:

Two great books to read are “Voices of Chernobyl” by Svetlana Alexievich, and “Ablaze, The Story of the Heroes and Victims of Chernobyl” by Piers Paul Read.

These books are really scarey and very, very, sad.

Excerpts from the back covers: (I hope I’m doing this correctly.)

Alaze: “…focusing on the human side of the catastrophe, he (P.Read) gives a blow by blow account of the accident…complete with reconstructed dialogue.” Publishers Weekly

Voices From Chernobyl: “…I took off all the clothes that I wore there…I gave my cap to my little son. He really wanted it…..Two years later they diagnois a tumor in his brain…You can write the rest yourself. I don’t want to talk anymore.”

After reading these, I think those that want to see the destruction area because it is “cool” will feel more like seeing the area as a funeral in a cementery. Sadness. Loss. Anger.

Again I really recommend these two books. I was able to check them out at our local library.

267. Ninfa Celia says:

Sei Gegruesst! Lesenswerter Artikel, ich habe mir mal deinen Feed gespeichert.

268. Anderson (Brazil) says:

The name of the city is “Pripyat”.

269. Anderson (Brazil) says:

The name of the city is “Pripyat”.

270. Edgar / (Venezuela) says:

i just wanna say something,i feel so sad really sad about what happen in chernobyl, and i didnt even know about this, i hope that we make a better world in the future, i have no more words to say im in shock.

god save us.

271. Max says:

THE CHERNOBYL TOUR IS RECOMMEND BY THE AWARD WINNING TRAVEL CHANNEL TV

Our AK47 Kalashnikov shooting tour in Kiev

272. Craig says:

Those are an amazing set of photos thank you for sharing them. Weren’t you worried about getting irradiated? Who were some of the other people you saw there? How did you get in there since it is not allowed?

273. xoxo kittlykittylcilick10 says:

CHERNOBYL NEVER HAPPEND!!! THIS IS ALL FAKE!

274. alex(romania) says:

radiate in the Chernobyl yet?
    Chernobyl was the uaniu?
    I like a lot … maybe even more where that price
    please tell me.

275. NimBrank says:

Excellent article Thank you very much

276. NimBrank says:

Very interesting to read it, thanks!

277. NimBrank says:

Thanks. What is needed))

278. Great web page, I recently came across it and I’m already a fan. I just got rid of 30 pounds in 30 days, and I am excited to share my weight loss success with as many people as possible. If I can lose weight then any one can. No matter what you do, never quit and you WILL attain all your weight loss goals!

279. Niko says:

Now, this might sound a bit creepy, but Ukrainian government should not change even a single thing in this city, leave it exactly as it is now and ocean of extreme loving tourists is guaranteed. Sign me first!

280. Josh says:

This is a very great photo journal. But I can not help but even to this day feel the extreme emotions that emerge from this place. What I would give to be able to change the lives of all those lost.

281. GB says:

i have inculcated this strong fascination about the city after playing Call of Duty 4 (MW). i was literally flabbergasted after seeing the destruction and the eerie silence that hung and still hangs over the city. the hotel is our objective in the game from which we go about completing the mission..but before that, we run through a large part of the city and outskirts. the detail in the game is superb!

thanks a lot for posting these awesome pictures.

282. SaShKo says:

Interesting variant

283. Elise Gregory says:

I saw a program on the history channel today about the tragedy and my heart broke when I went online to look what it was about how could this have happened ,
    and some of u are right those pics are really not very fun to see but it is a eye opener to the past I hope it will stay there because the people from there whom have suffered so much deserve more then this.

Elise

284. Funkf00t says:

I’m with Niko, 412, it should be left as it is.

285. Mark Wotring says:

My Condolances to the people of this region and those affected by this tragedy. Thank you so much for posting these incredible photos of this sad place I will never see.
    I am not presently eating popcorn or drinking a coke. These photos are by no means entertaining, but educational.
    My sympathies to the Ukranian people.

286. Mark Wotring says:

My Condolences to the people of this region and those affected by this tragedy. Thank you so much for posting these incredible photos of this sad place I will never see.
    My sympathies to the Ukrainian people.

287. Rajiv Tarafdar says:

A history untouched. So many memories so many relics. Good article to enlighten us on such a tragedy.

288. sindhuja says:

i never imagined it.that is wonderfuul tragedy

289. shadow says:

wow! add to fav.s! i play stalker based on the chernoble incident!!! did you get radiation? jow did you get close enough to take aphoto of chernoble?

290. shadow says:

so cool

291. nghia nguyen says:

I was in Kiev for further study at exactly that time. I was 20 and learned Russian.I still feel scared. Now I have two children. They are alright.Kiev is so close to Chernobyl. I still remember everythings. Then I left back to my country in July 1986. However I love Kiev and wish I had a chance to be back there.
    I also want to find a Russian girlfriend. She lived with her family in the New Kiev at that time. She was 17 in 1986. Her name is Inna. She joined the city young thearter group and learned a foreign language (but what? I forgot as 25 years pass ,Spanish I think) at The Forfeign Laguage Teacher Trainning College (not far from Kiev Public Stadium) with me. She was so kind to me. I still keep some pictures of her and her mum and sisters.Can anybody tell me what is the best way to find her? I still miss her a lot as we have lots of memories.
    A greeting to you all from Vietnam

292. vabs says:

very touching pictures. God bless

293. nghianguyen says:

I really want to look for my Kievlianka friend. She is Inna. She lived in New Kiev in 1986.She learned with me in Kiev at the time.She was so kind to me, helped me a lot.I still keep some pictures of her and her family. Is anybody know what is the best way to find he? I miss her a lot. A greeting to you all from Vietnam. Thanks

294. nghianguyen says:

Add some more information about me:
    I come from Vietnam.I was 20 when Chernobyl happened. I studied in Forneign Language College in Kiev in 1986. Want to find all friends studiyng in that college at the time. Thank you all.my email : nghianguyen66@yahoo.com

295. nghianguyen says:

I read the comment Number 309. Is that you Inna? If Yes please write to me. I will show you your pictures you gave to me nearly 25 years ago before I left Kiev and back to Vietnam.

296. martina CRO says:

impresivno…svaki komentar je potpuno suvišan-slike govore na tisuće riječi…
    …a koliko daleko ljudska glupost tek seže…

297. remy says:

pripiat is a town next to the plant,there is also a river named pripiat.however there is no town named chernobyl.chernobyl is the name of the nuke powerplant that exploded in april 5, 1986.it would be amazing to visit the site of the incedent but very upseting as well. r.i.p.

298. Angel says:

humans shouldnt play with nuclear power because then this happens

299. rizal says:

scary town..
    thanks for the info,pictures..

greetings from Malaysia..

300. CAN says:

I believe that the person who painted these grafittis has been disrespectful with the country that admitted it as visitor. Equally disrespectful with those who there lived. If they all were doing what this person did, nowadays it would be a city even more horrible ghost. Also I believe that the fact is perverse that some visitors movieran or they were placing objects in such a way that the situation seemed to be even more brutal.

301. CAN says:

Do you know the saying ” to do fuelwood of the fallen tree “?

302. Juri says:

What a terrible tragedy to happen… the cities Chernobyl and Pripyat are beautiful, yet sad. I’d love to visit Pripyat, but I doubt I could stop myself from crying at points.

Greetings from England.

303. emmy says:

what a sadness……a real tragedy…..
    poor people….poor world…..

304. Ian says:

Great pictures man! I really enjoyed looking through these.

305. Great information. I got lucky and found your site from a random Google search. Fortunately for me, this topic just happens to be something that I’ve been trying to find more info on for research purpose. Keep us the great and thanks a lot.

Frisco Plumber

306. Tula-Lina says:

Wow, this really creeped me out. Thanks for these photos, it was really interesting!

307. Sabine says:

I enjoyed this very much, I have always been interested in the Chernobyl disaster…the photographs are top notch…thank you for sharing them!!

308. Andrewsky says:

Great Information, How can i see photos of this city before this disaster. how Chernobyl looks like in 1975. What’s going to happen in the future?
    I loved this very much,

309. Juan says:

Realmente trsite e impactante, estas fotografias son ejemplos claros de desastre que estamos creando los humanos.

Ojala no se repita en Japon la historia….

310. ph0neman says:

Thanks for sharing your photos. It is truly amazing what mother nature is capable of despite our continued efforts to progress. The most touching pictures for me are the ones where nature is reclaiming the city… trees are engulfing the once inhabited parts of Chernobyl.

311. solo413 says:

thanks for these amazing pictures! very sad story!

312. intakevalve says:

thanks for sharing the picture great pic and story… it reminds me of japan incidents at this moments, I hope japan unlike chernoby.

313. anna emerson says:

I hope everyone visiting this website “gets” the overall message of how incredibly dangerous nuclear energy is. Too many variables are unpredictable; like right now in Japan. It is just too dangerous to bring a “star” (which is in effect what a power plant is-same basic ingredients as in a star) to earth, encase it in concrete, which we see cracked all around us on every street! and think it will be safe!!! Wind, sun, and geo-thermal are much safer, less expensive, alternatives.

I was an 18 year old exchange student when I was exposed to Chernobyl’s radiation from the beginning of June to the end of October 1986-and from 1,000 miles (2 countries) away! Years ago I developed thyroid problems, that I just recently recovered from by detoxing my body of radiation–and after all these years! It was a terrible experience I would not hope on my worst enemy!

Now as an American school-teacher, I am working to see if we can bring children over from the worst hit areas for a much needed break from the ever present radiation. see http://www.chernobyl-children.com/contact.htm

314. zip says:

I love how the trees and plants have flourished..

I could never figure out how on earth they have convinced so many people, that nuclear energy is the clean energy. People need to wake up and stop the lies, and madness of this.

315. it is so horrible a happening and so miserable are the photos of the place.

316. April Claudia Nabuko Martinez says:

The french art reminds me so much of the work from Banksy. Tragic to know, that radiation again has hit out surfaces.

– California USA

317. Jan says:

I invite you to see my picture essay of Pripyat taken this year. (somebody posted an older link above–thanks!) Over 100 images are accompanied with excerpts from former residents. There is also a PDF to download if you wish. It is important the story of Pripyat before Chernobyl be known. Thank you. http://smithjan.com/blog/2011/04/27/pripyat-atoms-wake/

318. bijan says:

tank you for image my from iran my lov is chernobyl

319. Anastasia says:

hey people!!!the author of all that…do you know what is chornobyl for us???lost lives,pollution….a big tragedy!!! and you give the photos of all these ruins and mess….we didn’t want that to happen, never. it makes me pain to see all that!

320. maria says:

Seeing these picures is so sad….We have to live in harmony with the planet.It is amazing to see how nature has taken over…Peace and love to everyone…One planet and one life….

321. majid says:

i love chernobyl,i love life clean. Majid from Iran

322. Nggaz says:

I`m requesting for your permission to republish in my blog. Thx b4.

323. H. says:

These are very haunting photos. Those abandoned toys, books, and everyday items lying scattered on the floor… wow.

Thank you for these photos.

-H. from Finland

324. sean says:

greetings from Australia. Well done with taking those photos they look excellent. How creepy are those paintings all over the city done by the “french artist”.

325. Awdell says:

thank you guys for taking those pictures. they are amazing and really informative. I was moved by looking at those toys left on the ground, empty bedrooms in empty hospital specially that chair which was used for giving birth to infants with the ” guess what it is ? ” question under it, that abandoned school with empty classes specially that ” Algebra ” textbook, those giant soviet buildings but empty and no residents and so on….
    but i just have one question, wasn’t there any radiation throughout the city? because I saw you guys was walking through the city unprotected! just some masks !!!! you shouldn’t worn some special clothes for visiting a nuclear effected zone???
    Awdell, from IRAN

326. stalker says:

Great pictures, thnx for uploading this, cheers :)))

327. I recently spent 3 days within the zone at the start of this year, and it was eye opening! The whole culture and feel of the place is so different to the UK – I enjoyed having lasagne for breakfast (or the Ukrainian equivalent). We stayed in the workers barracks!

I have lots and lots of photos here: http://thetimechamber.co.uk/Sites/Chernobyl/index.php

328. Jasmin says:

Duuudeee..how can you be up at like 5am to be onthewebsite??:O

329. Joe Holst says:

paranormal activity does exist in this city!!!

330. ^^No it doesn’t, I was not spooked once when I visited last year.

By the way, you can find the photos here:

331. diego says:

wooooow… makes me want to go there, it’s a really sad place. (-_-)

332. jacob says:

Honestly the first time i saw this was in cod4 lol

333. Arabella says:

Woww.. I lost all desire to be a photographer but these photos have really changed my mind.. They truly are amazing and touching. I wish I could go there and see for myself how it is now. This is so, so sad.

334. Marcos says:

that is just sad for all those people who died that day , my father was in russia when this happened for military business three and when hearing about the incident , stayed in russia for another long year as an ordinary solder doing his job. i would feel deeply sorry for the children who died on that unforgetful day as a normal student in pripyat doing his/her work not knowing there about to die so with great respects i honer does whos familys have terrified by the fact that their family members died in a nuclear explosion. also that parady called cherynobyl is just plan stupid and a waste of time for this fact

335. Mysticwolf430 says:

I watched the movie and some of these pictures are in the movie. It is cool to see them here and in the movie as well. My youngest is 29 and I would hate to have had him using the birthing chair that is pictured above .

336. world of warcraft armory says:

It right, tnx :)

337. Hotmail Sign In says:

wooooow… makes me want to go there, it’s a really sad place. (-_-)

338. Distributor Utama QnC Jelly gamat says:

Woow. its amazming

339. Obat Herbal Agar Cepat Hamil says:

sure, i like that

340. Moyses Flowers says:

Defiantly nuclear reactor is the very good source of energy but due some kind of mistake it got worst and made that place horrible. That affected a lot of life and still there is effect of that nuclear reaction is seen there. That is very sad.

341. Sympathies says:

Thanks for writing such a good article. We are agreed to your opinion of everything is now stays almost the same as it was 20 years ago.

342. Spencer says:

Thanks for writing such an informative article.